IGNORED

Sheffield Utd

c1982

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got in, to a Father in disbelief... asked what score it finished and he said.... we got beat 5-3 on pens. A miss from Vic and Arteta. Which then forced me to grab my laptop and a quick look on here has calmed my sudden anger! tongue.png ........ Lying Barstuard!

Well you will ask silly questions................. (Not really)rofl.gif

While it wasn't the best performance we'll see this season (I hope!) it was a completely professional performance from the players last night. Yes, Sheffield United scored first but we weren't really under any threat whatsoever and we spent the majority of the game camped in their half.

So I'm not sure we learnt an awful lot tbh, but one thing I do think we learnt, and I hope Moyes saw it too, is that we play much better without Cahill. For one thing, the midfield seemed to have a lot more balance because players were allowed to play in their natural positions instead of being shoe-horned into the side in any old position just to get them in there. It also allowed the midfield to be a lot more fluid, with Barkley, Osman and Arteta interchanging at will. That cannot happen when Cahill is in the side because Cahill is a pretty poor midfielder so can only play behind the striker to be effective. There was also a lot more playing the ball out from the back and limited hoofing aiming for Cahill's bonce.

It shows that 451 isn't our problem, but the personnel that play in that 451 is. It was the exact same formation as we used against QPR but look at the difference in the style of play. It was poles apart. Some will say "yeah, but it was only against a League 1 side". Well QPR were crap on Saturday but we were worse. This time we put the crap away with total ease.

I was a little disappointed with the second half tbh. We didn't play badly or anything like that, infact we dominated, but we didn't have the killer instinct to put a big score on Sheffield United like the dominance warranted.

Job done. Roll on the next round.

Mucha - Didn't have a lot to do but when called upon was more than up to the job.

Hibbert - I was very impressed with his performance. I was a bit worried he'd be well off the pace with having not been playing but he had a really good game. He didn't have much to do defensively but his attacking play was superb. He got forward at every opportunity and he actually put some good crosses in. My MOTM.

Jagielka - I thought he looked off it all night, and that's 2 games and 2 mistakes which have led to us conceding a goal now. He was dragged out of position quite a lot, lost headers he should have won and obviously there was the misjudged header that led to their goal. He also looks like he's running in thick mud lately. Is his head elsewhere perhaps? At Arsenal? Whatever it is I'd drop him and play Heitinga and Distin.

Heitinga - He slotted in with total ease, like he'd never been away. He was solid as rock. He's not the tallest for a CB but he hardly got beaten in the air. He was responsible for our playing the ball out from the back I felt, his first thought was always to look for a midfielder to give the ball to. Then there's that ball he plays out to the flanks a lot too, beautiful. For me, he has to play CB or be on the bench (not midfield please!). If he's good enough to play in a World Cup Final at CB then he's good enough to play there for us.

Baines - Caught out defensively a couple of times by being upfield but we all know his game is more about attacking than defending. He was always attacking (as usual) but I felt his final delivery was a bit off tbh.

Barkley - Another top performance from Ross (although he didn't quite hit the heights of the QPR game, IMO). It's insane how influential he is at only 17, he was involved in everything we did, he never shied away from anything. He should have no fear on his back, not Barkley. I just love the way he plays; he'll take the man on (sometimes 2 or 3!), he'll look to play one-two's, he'll have a pop from anywhere and on either foot, he shows great strength on the ball. The boy has it all.

Osman - That was the Osman from last season. He got stuck in, he took players on, he brought other players into the game, he drove forward with the ball, he picked the right passes. Basically, he took control of our midfield.

Fellaini - He's clearly not up to speed yet because he had a very up and down game. He'd dominate and then he'd give the ball away with an embarrassingly sloppy pass that should have been simple. Sometimes he'd be completely out of position and then other times he'd be in exactly the right place. For all the up and downess, though, he showed good energy all game long and was literally everywhere.

Rodwell - Much better than on Saturday, which will be owed to him playing in a position that is familiar to him! He still flatters to deceive for me though. Infact, I almost forgot to include him in my match report he'd made that much of an impression on me! It was just another typical wishy washy performance I felt - very few forward runs, hurry him in possession and he looks panicked, mostly looks to take the easy option and pass sideways rather than looking to be positive and take a risk. Where Barkley has no fear, Rodwell has it written all over him.

Arteta - He looked so much better last night than on Saturday. I think a lot of that was due to him not being asked to be a deep lying midfielder but he was allowed to get forward and be involved in our attacking play. Which is what he's good at and where we need him to be. He linked up well with Baines and Osman, constantly trying to work an opening with them. Keep him up at the sharp end of the pitch and we might see the best little Spaniard we know on a more regular basis.

Anichebe - I thought he started the game quite sluggish but grew into the game as it went on, rather than fade into total petulance like he usually does. It wasn't a star performance by any means but he put a shift in and he looked a lot better than he has done. He still had energy towards the end of the game to chase back a few times which I liked. He did, however, have to spoil his good work with that quite embarrassing one on one chance right at the end of the game.

Can't really disagree with that Mark, well done sir.

One thing i will point out about Heitinga, now that Holland (Netherlands) are top of the Fifa world rankings, technically speaking we have one of the best CB's in the world!? Not many teams outside the 'Big Boys' (even around Europe) can say that! He should play there and start imo, and like you've said Mark, use him and Distin. Jags isn't looking focused and as you've rightly pointed out...2 mistakes....2 goals. Thats poor reading!

It's going to sound silly saying this but we won against Sheffield United because we had some shots on goal - something we didn't do against QPR. I coulden't care less if we have about 80 shots on goal and only 10 of them end up on target. The game against QPR saw us playing out to the wide men when there was literally no need so I'm pleased to see (from the highlights) some of the lads having a go - mainly Osman.

Hopefully we can build on this :)