IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home)

marcopaulo

I was pissed off when I seen we weren't going to be playing a striker even though we had 2 on the bench, but Cahill put in an excellent performance upfront and he was perfect in the role, with Osman providing brilliant support as well.

We absolutely dominated the game pretty much from start to finish and it wouldn't have been over the top if we'd have won by 3 or 4 goals to nil. We passed the ball well and we actually passed it with more speed than we have for the past year or so, so instantly we looked such a better side. We had a bit of everything yesterday; steel and skill. The amount of times the likes of Felli put their foot in to win the ball back was very pleasing. And then we looked to be positive and creative with the ball once we'd won it back. We had purpose to our play, they didn't look clueless when they got the ball, we looked like we actually had a plan. Also, we looked hungry and there was heart in everything we did. We actually tried to win the ball back when Villa had it, rather than standing off and just letting them play (although, they did revert back to that which was the reason we conceded both equalisers).

But once again, the same old mistakes cost us massively. We didn't take our chances to put the game beyond Villa when they fell to us, we stood off, and defensive errors cost us goals. I genuinely fear us conceding every time the opposition attack because our defence is so leaky it's unbelievable.

All in all, we put in a stellar performance and did all the hard things right but getting the basics wrong is what cost us the ectra 2 points. A win against Wigan is a must, our home form is going to be crucial.

Howard - Didn't have much to do but when called upon he did is job.

Hibbert - Up until their second equaliser I thought he was having an excellent game. He was looking reasonably good defensively and he was getting forward extremely well. His crossing was pretty good too and quite accurate. Neville should watch how Hibbert crosses because at least he always puts pace on the cross and doesn't just float it into the keepers arms! So instantly it gives our players a better chance of being able to score from the cross. Then he went and let himself down for their second, IMO. He'd drifted too far inside and left their man completely on his own so he could put the cross in at his leisure.

Jagielka - I see people saying he had a better game yesterday but I completely disagree. I thought he had another stinker. He lost so many headers he should have been winning, his pointless hoofing into no man's land put us under pressure when we needed to just keep hold of the ball, and Distin had to cover for him countless times! He's gone from being a brick wall to being made of frigging marshmallow it's that easy to get through him.

Distin - Was he at fault for the second equaliser too? I couldn't really tell, but if he was that would spoil what had been a faultless performance from him. I usually worry whenever the ball goes near him tbh but I can't recall him making me nervous once. Where Jags lost out aerially, Distin was dominant. And his turn of pace to shut out Agbonlahor and Bent when you'd think they'd race away on goal was exceptional.

Baines - Baines was the Baines we all love to see. He was up and down the left wing all day, his energy levels are phenomenal. And his crossing was so dangerous, every time he put the ball in (whether that be from open play or a set-piee) we looked like we could get a goal. And he put his penalty away with quality.

Coleman - I actually thought Coleman had a poor game and I'd been calling him for to be subbed long before it actually happened, at half-time infact. There's no doubting his effort that he put in, he never stopped trying, but at the end of his runs he'd either run into the Villa defender and lose the ball or put a shite cross in. So the effort was all for nought, and his job as a winger is to have an end product and he had zero.

Rodwell - That's the best I've seen him play for a long time. He looked like he knew exactly what his role was for a change and he looked so much more comfortable for that and it showed in his play, he was a lot more positive when in possession. I thought he was involved in everything; defensively and attacking wise. It was by no means a stand out performance but it was a sgn of progress.

Fellaini - He was a monster in the middle of the park for us and was our catalyst for what should have been a well earned 3 points. I criticised him last week for looking lazy and this week he didn't look like he was expending much energy again, but this time it was because everything just looked effortless to him. He broke up play time after time and started pretty much every attack we had. He won countless headers. But what I loved most was where other players when they were unchallenged would still just head the ball into space he'd bring the ball down on his chest instead and then pass to one of our players to get us moving again. It had me feeling quite giddy tbh.

Bily - I thought he played well for the first 10 minutes and then completely and utterly disappeared. Someone needs to tell him he's supposed to try and lose his man to receive the ball, not just stand motionless next to them!

Osman - Linked up brilliantly with Cahill, which was highlighted by our opener. That was a beautifully crafted goal by the pair of them but I doubt it'll get the credit it deserves in the press. He worked his bollocks for 90 Minutes did little Leon, he's not the biggest or the quickest but he was always there hustling the Villa players, never giving them a second.

Cahill - I was worried when I seen he was starting upfront against the size of the Villa CB's because he hasn't won those sort of battles for quite a while now. But he put in a perfect performance as the lone striker, IMO. He won so many headers up there, and usually while being fouled tbh. He chased down everything and held the ball up really well. He gave his all for the cause. But it was just a grafting performance from him, there was some really good play in there too, most notably the perfectly weighted ball back to Leon for our opener. His performance more than deserved a goal. My MOTM.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really pleased with the way that cahill and ossie hassled and worried the Villa defence yesterday too - a real surprise and unexpected to be honest.

on the other hand, this solution is not the answer, it's just a temporary one. i can't see it working against to many teams, sadly. what we really need is saha to get fit and Stracq to shape up quickly and be good enough for a first team slot. it's a useful back up ploy, but i'm afraid that we are going to be stuck with it most of the season. i hope neither ossie or cahill get injured!

Distin - Was he at fault for the second equaliser too? I couldn't really tell, but if he was that would spoil what had been a faultless performance from him. I usually worry whenever the ball goes near him tbh but I can't recall him making me nervous once. Where Jags lost out aerially, Distin was dominant. And his turn of pace to shut out Agbonlahor and Bent when you'd think they'd race away on goal was exceptional.

In my eyes no doubt, he switched off and got the wrong side of Agbangawhore.

Part of the blame for 1 point over 3 must be put on the ref though. Shocking decision at 1-0 when baines was tripped in the box directly in front of him. But we should know by now that we can't really on ref's... especially a ref with a teenage boys haircut!!!

Edited by c1982

Best performance of the season so far, even if it didn't have a lot of competition in that race. Actually good movement throughout the pitch, played at a good tempo and Villa hassled out of their stride. To be honest all Villa wanted to do was play long balls for Bent and Agbonlahor in the first half which we coped with ease. I was concerned with Coleman going off and possibly the lack of cover with Hibbert down the right especially with Albrighton coming on for Villa and expressed this to a couple of mates. However that should not detract from a better all round performance which would have seen us collect three points most weeks. Optimimism and confidence for next week intact.

Part of the blame for 1 point over 3 must be put on the ref though. Shocking decision at 1-0 when baines was tripped in the box directly in front of him. But we should know by now that we can't really on ref's... especially a ref with a teenage boys haircut!!!

Maybe a little but he was being used as a climbing frame from what I saw.

yeah it was Distin's fault, he just didn't jump until the ball was past him even though it literally skimmed his head and Agbonlahor was right behind him, very VERY poor defending. All he had to do was header it out and that was game won. He had another excellent game apart from that but once again he makes a very poor error, ever since he's come into the team we can't buy a clean sheet. I don't care how well he apparently is playing, the unit with him in it doesn't work (it didn't work with Heitinga either). Give Heitinga a go alongside Jagielka, I can't see how they can do any worse, be handy if Fellaini was back there as well rather than being nowhere in sight when Petrov is lining one up from 30 yards.

Our goals against is the reason we had a poor season last year, the season we finished fourth was done on the back of a load of 1-0 wins, until we can keep clean sheets we'll be in for tough times. We will always find a way to score goals, especially now Cahill is back up front rather than the abysmal, lazy Beckford, we just need to keep some clean sheets.

Our goals against is the reason we had a poor season last year, the season we finished fourth was done on the back of a load of 1-0 wins...

We actually conceded more goals in 04/05 then we did last season...46 to 45 (though as sixteen of those were in three games v Arsenal & Spurs the point's valid for the other thirty-five games).

We actually conceded more goals in 04/05 then we did last season...46 to 45 (though as sixteen of those were in three games v Arsenal & Spurs the point's valid for the other thirty-five games).

Yes I wasn't very clear actually, last season we didn't let in that many goals, the problem was we hardly kept any clean sheets. I'd rather be thumped 7-0 then keep 6 clean sheets than let in a goal a game. The problem is the clean sheets, rather than the amount we are scoring. It's infuriating that we just can't seem to lock a game down, you always think we'll concede.