IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home)

marcopaulo

Frustrating not to have won, but I think the performance itself was all important.

Played well for the most part of the game, but switched off and got done with 2 sucker punches.

At least it looks like we might have started playing early doors this year instead of waiting until January.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had offered me that at the start, I would've taken it.

Given our form recently, a good team performance was very much needed. Drenthe looks a bit mint. Coleman, Osman, Cahill, Baines, Rodwell, Hibbert all sharp. Barkley and Vellios good cameos.

Hopefully we can push on from here, COYB.

Much happier with that performance that the Blackburn game. Today we looked like a team, and we had the chances to score 4/5. We really need to stop giving away cheap goals, and that last one was terrible from Distin especially and also Hibbert. I imagine Moyes will give them both a rollicking.

It was nice to see a team with balance, and also to see the youngsters given a bit of time on the pitch. Rodwell looked much better than he has been, Barkley was promising when he came on, Drenthe was also threatening. Vellios put in a good little shift there considering he only 10mins on the pitch.

I will also say fair play to Moyes & Cahill as they proved me wrong today. He played well up front and linked up with Osman a lot. I think the latter is the main reason why it worked today because he created space for Cahill. Hopefully we can build on this performance now and kick on this season. COYB.

Too bad we didn't win, but at least we played well for the first time this season. We created a lot of goal opportunities, so we don't really have to worry. A performance like this is more promising than the win we got at Blackburn. 60% possession, 10 shots on goal, another 7 off target. Villa only had 3 on target and 4 off target. I think there's plenty of positives to take from this game. The overall performance was fine, there were times in the game where we really pressed high up the pitch. I think Drenthe had a promising debut. He wasn't afraid to run at people and he did so without the ball as well. He caught Hutton in possession a few times, kept his cool and picked out Osman in the box, but his shot was blocked. Drenthe looks up for a start next week if you ask me. If he can't handle 90 minutes then just sub him when he gets tired. Vellios and Barkley did well when they came on as well.

Despite our luck in getting 3 points at Blackburn it is no consolation for today really. We deserved the 3 and have been undone by 2 sloppy mistakes.

Jags just looks a shadow of the player we know he can be, giving away needless fouls instead of claiming balls that should be his. Distin was better but certainly at fault for their 2nd.

We looked more cohesive going forward today, Cahill impressed me and there was more to him today than just putting himself about, Ossie was good and worked well in tandem with Cahill. Rodders put in a better shift than we have been used to seeing. Velios looked good for 10mins but I feel he snatched his chance a bit, IMO he had time for a touch. Good cameo by Drenthe and feel sure he will get better with fitness and game time (the 2 go together really)

All in all much to be positive about despite dropping 2 points

huh.png

Exactly the face I pulled after seeing that!

Very good performance today - but like we do against Villa every season at GP we didn't take our chances and were made to pay. We looked a lot, lot better than them today.

N'Zogbia - would have loved him during the summer but on todays performance and what I've seen of him this season... meh! dont%20know.gif

Exactly the face I pulled after seeing that!

Very good performance today - but like we do against Villa every season at GP we didn't take our chances and were made to pay. We looked a lot, lot better than them today.

N'Zogbia - would have loved him during the summer but on todays performance and what I've seen of him this season... meh! dont%20know.gif

Say a same for a lot of the villa players that we had been linked with in the past. Ireland, Delph and Hutton.

I was very pleased with the performance today. We were actually showing signs we can score goals which is pleasing, just disappointing that we couldn't hold the lead. I do think though if we had been given the penalty in the first half and scored it we probably would have been but it's over now.

Roll on Wigan!

I may have been to quick to surpass Cahill to the bench. Together with osman they looked a real threat. All subs did well. Baines good as always. Cahill my motm.

Jags needs a stint on the bench although his first half was a massive step forward. Seems as if the closing of the transfer window has calmed his nerves.

Not blaiming Distin for their second. Hibbo was way off mark on that goal.