IGNORED

Wigan

pete0

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fairly average and static performance where we got out of jail with a couple of cracking goals late on, and also a couple of goal saving blocks. It was a day of a lot of effort but little quality until the last 10 minutes and I wouldnt fancy our chances against a decent team playing like that. Whenever Wigan managed to actually put an attack together our defence seemed to crumble a little, with various players at fault.

Howard didnt have much to do, bar pick the ball out of the net.

Hibbert was my MOTM. Put in some decent balls and some crucial late blocks.

Jags & Distin were better than they have been as a unit, but not convincing when it matters.

Baines was ok, not brilliant, but solid.

Felli was quite poor imo. Never really got into the game and wasnt as positionally disciplined as he normally is.

Rodwell was the best midfielder on the pitch, especially 1st half. Looked to get forward, always looking up. Just a shame there wasnt much infront of him to aim at.

Bily was much improved, and he looked much more confident. Its the first time he has contributed to the team for a long time, now hopefully he kicks on from here.

Coleman wasnt great either today. Ran into countless deadends, hopefully just an off day.

Osman wasnt as good as he has been either. No real impact on the game.

Cahill worked hard and will probably have a few bruises, but made little impact in the grand scheme of things. Probably should have come off earlier.

Drenthe looked to be trying too hard early on but the run and finish for his goal was class. I expect big things when he settles down into the team.

Vellios looked very shaky when he came on but then produced a cracking Cahill/Ferguson-esque header to score his goal. From then on he looked much sharper. When ever I have seen him play, he has always contributed and he always works hard. Id like to see him given a start in the near future.

Denis also looked lively, didnt really see much but he looks like he wants to work hard and get involved, which is what I like to see. Hopefully we will see his quality in the coming weeks.

• 2 weeks later...