So many questions, so few answers - from GOT

Matt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ok, didnt get that.....

Do you visit GOT a lot, or post on GOT?

It's full of lads from America. Even the admins and mods have American representatives.

Our fan base is growing, but there will always be a different passion, when you look at the local lad, and surrounding areas, who grew up with the club, surrounded by like minded people, living in a twin football club city culture, and a guy who lives 7000 miles away, who discovered Everton because Landon Donovan spent a few months here.

It's all variations upon a theme. Football is just a game, and because it's a game, people all around the world can enjoy it. On GOT though, the biggest whiners are 'always' guys who have never even stepped in to the country, let alone the ground.

Watch it by all means from USA, Africa, or anywhere else, but when they attempt to influence other fans with negative articles, that's when they need to take a rain check.

I drift over there from time to time for their blogs etc, follow them on Twitter but no posting.

I also dont think that theyre trying to influence anyone. A blog is just someone getting things of their chest and a lot of what I see there I agree with.

Why? is it David Moyes is one of the most respected managers in the game if most fans know the tactical side of the game better than he does?

Moyes has many positive aspects but I think its fair to say he leaves a lot to be desired tactically. I dont think there can be too much opposition to that one.

For the very biggest clubs, the fan base is PREDOMINANTLY foreign. And most never see a match live. Scary really, but that's the nature of 'going global'.

I personally believe on one level, people are people, fans are fans.

BUT

Unless you live around Everton or at least have a grasp of what it's like to live in a very working class environment where for many football is the only real thing to look forward to, it's hard for a foreign fan to understand.

I'm not saying all foreign fans are lacking in understanding, but the majority are. A West Ham fan can empathise with an Everton fan, but can someone in Ohio really grasp it? I'm not sure.

Why? is it David Moyes is one of the most respected managers in the game if most fans know the tactical side of the game better than he does?

It's because - we sit higher up in the stands, and we have Sky+ and our knowledge of football surpasses those of mere managers.

He has directors to answer to, compromising his judgment, where as our judgment is gained from having managed over 30 teams to CL success on PlayStation.

I'm surprised we're as forgiving as we are actually.

For the very biggest clubs, the fan base is PREDOMINANTLY foreign. And most never see a match live. Scary really, but that's the nature of 'going global'.

I personally believe on one level, people are people, fans are fans.

BUT

Unless you live around Everton or at least have a grasp of what it's like to live in a very working class environment where for many football is the only real thing to look forward to, it's hard for a foreign fan to understand.

I'm not saying all foreign fans are lacking in understanding, but the majority are. A West Ham fan can empathise with an Everton fan, but can someone in Ohio really grasp it? I'm not sure.

You been to Ohio? Parts of it make Toxteth look like a paradise.

I dont get this "if you live further away you cant understand", thats just bull. Every persons love of something is unique even if they live in the next street down.

I dont get this "if you live further away you cant understand", thats just bull. Every persons love of something is unique even if they live in the next street down.

Hmmm, yes, but there's a common 'feeling' amongst most local fans and it's simply harder to empathise with when folks are living in a totally different culture.

There are aspects of American sport that Europeans don't feel quite right about and vice versa.

It's not necessarily someone in France can't understand someone in England, but if they're two significantly different cultures, then I don't believe the feeling is the same.

The lad who kicked a ball in the streets of merseyside is a very different lad to the one in Asia who likes David Beckham's team.

You cannot get the smell of p**s and dodgy pies on a cold Wednesday night through the television. The atmosphere around the ground before the game - you just can't tell that to someone unless they experience it

Edited by BlueSky

i dont think a fans location should make any difference on how valid his opinion is.

this guy will have access to more everton games on tv than we will. he may see more games than some of us, ok he may not get to GP but im sure he still watches the games.

by that point i have recently moved to Preston, so my opinion isnt as valid as it used to be now im not in the thick of it as much as i used to be.

in reply to the lads list of whys, they are all pretty relative to me. i wish i could answer them, but i dont get paid £70k a week to know the answers.

You cannot get the smell of p**s and dodgy pies on a cold Wednesday night through the television. The atmosphere around the ground before the game - you just can't tell that to someone unless they experience it

haha City smells of piss, city smells of piss, city smells of piss!!!

have you not read Bill Kenwrights stories of getting piss on his busted shoes when he was a kid at the match. he sorted that right out!

Ah well, to be fair, I didn't say their opinion was any less valid. Simply that their view and experience of it all would be significantly different. And, with the larger clubs, the 'experience' of MOST fans is that they never see a game on any other medium than TV.

This is when the guys going to the game become a minority and to a degree, less relevant. The 'sell' abroad is all about who you're sponsored by, who you have in your team (and their nationalities), what your 'international' image is etc. A lot of heritage goes right out the window.

I ought not to have said "they don't understand' but should have have said "their understanding can be significantly different"

Edited by BlueSky

We appreciate that you are an overseas fan Matt, and it's impossible to categorize people, but I'm fairly sure that unless our South African friend lived in the North West, before recently emigrating to Africa, that he won't hold the same feelings as the lad that sits in class with red and blue, then works with red and blue, and so on. I was a fan of Michael Jackson (for example) but I bet those close to him shed more tears when he passed. There is a culture that is impossible to experience unless you experience it first hand.

Ah well, to be fair, I didn't say their opinion was any less valid. Simply that their view and experience of it all would be significantly different. And, with the larger clubs, the 'experience' of MOST fans is that they never see a game on any other medium than TV.

This is when the guys going to the game become a minority and to a degree, less relevant. The 'sell' abroad is all about who you're sponsored by, who you have in your team (and their nationalities), what your 'international' image is etc. A lot of heritage goes right out the window.

I ought not to have said "they don't understand' but should have have said "their understanding can be significantly different"

I think you're spot on with most things, despite my occasional pop at you, so hold firm your beliefs and stick with them. I argue with Matt and Steve all day long, but I agree with them on many other things. It's good to have opposite views. wink.png

Thats a very good and fair statement.

FYI, I grew up on the Wirral, spending at least 1 day a week in Knotty Ash, if not more, and going the game as often as I could be before uni and then work moved me away.

I'll admit that that I probably don't have the same level of compassion as most Everton fans living in Liverpool with my being in Mississippi. Plus, Americans are usually interested in several sports at once. Really though, I do plan on visiting Goodison one day when I finally finish my graduate schooling over here.

One thing that I can say though is that I'm proud to support a team that is generally not as commercially advertised. I'm the only Everton fan I know where I live and there is something about that that I take a great pride in. I've just always enjoyed Everton's fighting spirit and the fact that they have a reputation for beating the larger clubs on a regular basis. I have to do a lot more research over here as opposed to say, a ManU fan, and that has brought me closer to the team... I hope that makes sense. I guess what I'm saying is I have to be more involved as Everton fan than the fans of a lot of other clubs.

Edited by TonkaRoost

"WHY: Is it that people seem to blame the dissenters, and accuse them of "not getting behind the team" and say stuff like" the team will play better if everyone gets behind them and suppirts them". I am of the opinion that iit´s a ´chicken and egg´ scenario. Give us something to shout about!!!!!"

I do not like this question though. He doesn't get why people blame the dissenters??? Fuck them. A true fan supports his/her team through all of the hardships. Nothing gets to me more than "fair-weather" fans. If Everton somehow gets relegated to Blue square in the next few years then I'll still be supporting them (plus, it will make manager mode on FIFA12 a lot more fun).

"WHY: Is it that people seem to blame the dissenters, and accuse them of "not getting behind the team" and say stuff like" the team will play better if everyone gets behind them and suppirts them". I am of the opinion that iit´s a ´chicken and egg´ scenario. Give us something to shout about!!!!!"

I do not like this question though. He doesn't get why people blame the dissenters??? Fuck them. A true fan supports his/her team through all of the hardships. Nothing gets to me more than "fair-weather" fans. If Everton somehow gets relegated to Blue square in the next few years then I'll still be supporting them (plus, it will make manager mode on FIFA12 a lot more fun).

[/left]

So, because I have a few issues with the management/board I wouldn't support the club if they were relegated? Not being happy with certain aspects of the club doesn't make me a fair-weather fan and I seriously take offence that you would imply that tbh.

As with anything in life, if you accept second best you deserve second best. Any fan who takes their time or money to follow the club has the right to express dissatisfaction at poor performances. The players and manager are paid employees of the club. If you do crap at work would you expect to be Molly coddled? If you are putting effort in then of course you would expect an element of coaching and development, however if results continue to be poor you can expect a dressing down. Why should footballers be any different?!

If they can't take criticism then they shouldn't be in a career that makes them extremely wealthy.

So, because I have a few issues with the management/board I wouldn't support the club if they were relegated? Not being happy with certain aspects of the club doesn't make me a fair-weather fan and I seriously take offence that you would imply that tbh.

He didn't say that Romey. He said that he 'would' not that you 'wouldn't'. Nor did he call 'you' anything.