IGNORED

Trust Everton

Matt

Not quite sure how that would work.

If they buy Finch Farm, aren't they just buying the land and current facilities? There's no onus on Everton to continue using it is there?

Of course, you'd assume initially Everton would have raised funds from the sale, AND manage to keep the use of the facilities... whereas another buyer would most likely close the place and develop on it. Leaving Everton stil needing to find another place, or simply not have one.

If they DO buy the place, why not just raise the funds anyway, and create some tied gift to the club, so that there's a legal obligation to use the money in the manner stipulated in the gift?

I thought it was a tenancy agreement - where (one assumes) the owners are responsible for the upkeep? That said, I'm sure it's a bit more complex than that, and Everton probably have some sway in the use, and responsibility for certain costs associated with those facilities.

Possibly another 'messy' agreement Everton have entered into that is costing them money, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm not sure it IS a good idea.

You sold the land to the developer who then developed it. Now if you buy it back, they've made a decent killing (depending on the price of course), and you're left with a state of the art complex that's costing you a lot of money to run...

Much depends on the cost/benefit of such a facility. Of course it SOUNDS great to have such a facility, and in theory to nuture young players through the system too, but IS it actually paying its way?

StevO, the developers Rom Capital developed it, not Everton. I think if Everton could have afforded to develop it, they'd own it today.

Incidentally, a near £10m increase in "other operating costs" was put down to moving to Finch Farm.

"Further significant increases in operating costs were also incurred in the year following the opening of the new Finch Farm training facility. The additional operating costs compared with those incurred at Bellefield are seen as a necessary investment to provide the appropriate training facilities required by both first team players and academy players at a Premier League club of Everton’s standing."

I think it's a pipe dream, I can't see Evertonians stumping up £15m for Finch Farm. We struggled to get the £950k for Everton Collection and relied on lottery funding.

Basically it's an example of smart practice by the developer...

They buy the land from you (because you can't afford to develop it yourself).

They build it for you (effectively a loan)

You agree to rent it for 50 years (so they get their money back AND some!)... amazing deal for them - guaranteed return (unless you go bust)

They slip in a clause allowing Everton to buy it back if they wish (whoopee doo... if Everton want it, they can have it... for the right price.... erm, isn't that the same as paying off the loan early?).

Basically, you took out a loan from the developer, albeit in the form of property.

As long as these things exist, the game will be farcical.

Why are supporters coughing up to safeguard clubs, when the very players they go to watch are bleeding their clubs dry?

If the greedy bastards took a reasonable wage, clubs wouldn't be struggling in the first place. No way should supporters be paying towards running costs directly. It's the players etc that should be supplementing things.

Why are supporters coughing up to safeguard clubs, when the very players they go to watch are bleeding their clubs dry?

If the greedy bastards took a reasonable wage, clubs wouldn't be struggling in the first place. No way should supporters be paying towards running costs directly. It's the players etc that should be supplementing things.

Very true. A 'modest' pay cut across the board would do wonders...

10 grand a week * 20 players = 200K a week = 800k a month = 9.6 million a year. It's a start.

You'd soon discover how 'loyal' these Everton players are..... not very. That's not a criticism, just true of most players at any top club I'd say.

So, has anyone fom here registered? Or is anyone planning to?

I have. :)

Sounds good, but who is Community Football Assets Limited?

That's the registered company name, but they're just trading under Trust Everton. It sounds better than Community Football Assets Limited doesn't it. biggrin.png

If it come down to it, like immanent administration or something I honestly think some of the players probably would say, but while everything is running 'fine', I doubt it one bit. And you do pay towards running costs directly because you buy tickets! As stated on their website non of the money they get would go directly into the club to do what they liked. The money would stay with Trust Everton and because you're a member you'd have a say in what the money could be used for. Be that the Park End Development, the development of another store, redeveloping a stand. All fixed assets that means in the future when the club has a new owner they have fans to trust who own assets for the club to use, FF being the main one.

I think it's a great idea, not only the asset part but the actual fact Everton might finally have it's own Supporters Trust. If Green Bay Packer fans can buy their club I can't see why Evertonians can't at least do something! I know £15m seems like a lot of money, but I'm sure there's quite a few Evertonians out there willing to put in a few quid, and a few wealthy ones at that. After all at the current rent it would take less than 15 years for Trust Everton to recoup the money it cost to buy FF. Everton isn't just Liverpool remember, there are people all over the world that support the team. I honestly don't think it would be difficult at all to raise £15m.

What don't people get about us being in a recession?

Footballers earn more in one week, than many earn in 10 years, and fans are supposed to 'chip in' to help out clubs that gladly pay them this money?

No! No! and No!

When you buy a ticket, you don't contribute directly at all. You are paying for a performance. Nothing more. The performance is a product, and unfortunately does not come with any guarantee of quality. I find fans putting their hands in their pockets further to help finance the life styles of footballers and agents distasteful and concerning. If the club have no money, come down to earth. There are many divisions below the Premiership, and even when you get to the bottom, you'll still have more than the average fan

If the greedy bastards took a reasonable wage, clubs wouldn't be struggling in the first place.

Can't blame the players for the amount they earn....it's the going rate for the job (however obscene it might be).

No-one ever went for a job at any level, from office junior to Chairman of BP, and said, "No, don't pay me that; it's far too much....I want less!"

Can't blame the players for the amount they earn....it's the going rate for the job (however obscene it might be).

No-one ever went for a job at any level, from office junior to Chairman of BP, and said, "No, don't pay me that; it's far too much....I want less!"

Hmmm ... I think we can, and we will Mike.

Tell them they're only getting paid 500 quid per week (Many of us would cut our arm off for that) and see what they say. To think the players aren't responsible for being paid huge sums is a little naive, without wanting to be arsey with you. It's the single biggest turn off I have with the sport. Skint fans paying big money to wealthy clubs, who pay ridiculous sums of money to wankers who can't even kick a ball straight.

Hmmm ... I think we can, and we will Mike.

Tell them they're only getting paid 500 quid per week (Many of us would cut our arm off for that) and see what they say. To think the players aren't responsible for being paid huge sums is a little naive, without wanting to be arsey with you. It's the single biggest turn off I have with the sport. Skint fans paying big money to wealthy clubs, who pay ridiculous sums of money to wankers who can't even kick a ball straight.

Pay them £500 a week and off they go to Spain, Italy and Qatar - we end up with SPL standard football. Yeah, there should be a wage cap but I can't see it happening as the EPL has too much to lose.

it's not ONLY the players fault.

WE the fans are the market. We scream for new players and marquee signings. We are willing to accept their pay.

We're as much to blame as they are.

It's a triangle... The players will earn as much as clubs are willing to pay, and the fans are willing the clubs to spend more and more, plus shockingly bad business decisions are made at clubs that involve over extending themselves to afford top players.

All three parties are to blame.

So what if City pay 20 players more money. or United do? That's 40 players you can't have.... big deal, there's a few thousand more to choose from.

Then what if Livepool pay a bit more than you, and Arsenal, and Spurs... that's putting you 6th in the 'pay' table... etc etc.

It's always been that way, so there's nothing to stop many clubs saying "we aren't going to pay any more. It's 10K a week, but you're in the Prem!".... Once all the spaces at the high payers are gone... where are those players going to go? if they WANT to play in the Prem, then they'd have to accept 10K.

At the end of the day, the MORONS running football and the clubs have caused this. The employees (the players) have demanded more and more and the stupid sods running the game have pandered to it.

I really feel I have lost interest in the game in recent times, someone said there should be salary restrictions, absolutely, it's obscene that some EPL players pocket up to £200,000 a week just for chasing a little ball around a field for 90 minutes a week, and what about additional bonuses, it is ludicrous, surely £1000 a week is enough for professional players, it is just going to get worse, someone sets the bar as huge payments and the next clubs just has to better it, it's just going to get worse. Soccer today is more about greed and avarice from what some could classify as entertainment

Don't mean to go off topic but EPL footballers don't get paid that much at all compared to American sports stars. It's pennies in comparision. I think there are around about 10 or 11 Baseball players that get paid over $20m a year, a bloke (I forget his name) signed for LA Angels for this season on a contract worth over $250m over 10 years!!! Basketball players make a similar amount and then there is all the sponsorship money which is a lot more than in baseball.

Pay them £500 a week and off they go to Spain, Italy and Qatar - we end up with SPL standard football. Yeah, there should be a wage cap but I can't see it happening as the EPL has too much to lose.

If they want to go to Spain, let them.

Eventually the standard would get back to normal, and clubs could once again afford to run their businesses.

I'm not sure the standard is 'that' fantastic anyway. Sunday football is entertaining to many. If all teams told the players to take a wage cut, then the players would have no choice. The way to get all teams to do this is for FIFA to enforce it.

It won't happen, but it should, and if it doesn't, there will be no football leagues as we know them in years to come.

But we would all start again on a level playing field.

Don't mean to go off topic but EPL footballers don't get paid that much at all compared to American sports stars. It's pennies in comparision. I think there are around about 10 or 11 Baseball players that get paid over $20m a year, a bloke (I forget his name) signed for LA Angels for this season on a contract worth over $250m over 10 years!!! Basketball players make a similar amount and then there is all the sponsorship money which is a lot more than in baseball.

$250m for hitting a ball with a stick and running 100 m. $250m for catching a ball and throwing it 50 m. Silly money for bouncing a ball and throwing it into a hoop. Silly money for padding up in massive protective gear and running a few yards with a foot (?) ball. (a football that hardly ever actually touches a foot) - and dont compare this with rugby. How many protective pads does a rugby player have?

The actual football player in American football only comes on the field every now and then and punts the ball away and then gets of the field again.

And all american sports are called the world championships but the world isnt invited.

Americans are funny

Thank god for snooker and darts. Real sports for real men.