IGNORED

What's wrong with us, the fans?

Shukes

Given our finacial situation you could be forgiven for Moyes settling for a soild 6-10 position there are teams with more cash than us and can buy into the top six, but the way he persists in totally defensive and negative tactics it's slowly dragging us down to a relegation battle. We r playing really shit football and we all know we can do better.

I think it is more of a need for moyes to find more attacking consultants rather than have a him leave. We have definitely seen him attack in the past but at the moment he is out of ideas at the moment and has resorted to going more defensive

Edited by the_everton_way

excellent 1st post even if I dont agree with parts of it (and im one of the more optimistic ones!) which have already been covered. Anyway, made me smile reading it.

And yes, I remember Barry Horne, ive told the story before about crying and telling my dad I didnt want to support Everton any more because it was too painful. Still here though (albeit abroad!), were born this way.

Welcome to the site mate, hope you stick around :)

the_everton_way Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM

I think it is more of a need for moyes to find more attacking consultants rather than have a him leave. We have definitely seen him attack in the past but at the moment he is out of ideas at the moment and has resorted to going more defensive

He has to play with the cards he's dealt, in the past he has, and is still looking for forwards, Bilyaletdinov, Drenthe, Velios, Straqualursi, are not performing.

Anichebe, and Osman have been out injured, Cahill and Saha have been shit, so without any attackers, he has to select a side who are fit enough to play from what he has got left.

Edited by Bill

I think i've made the point several times that Moyes and 'attacking flair' do not go together. I'm sure he could give a mster class on the virtues of defending from the front, solid banks of four, keeping the midfield line tight to the defensive line when playing teams who have playmakers, playing deep when they have pace upfront etc etc - I think in terms of drilling the team in how to defend he is ok.

To use an example, go back to Man City early in the season. We defended well - really we did, but that's all we did. The problem is it's a numbers game, you can have the best defenders on the planet, playing the best football of their careers - if you keep giving the ball to the other team eventually they are going to score. This is our problem, Moyes has permanently got the guard up, the team are taking punches and offering no counter punches to make the other team think twice about the risk.

In every player in our first 11 he continually harps on about the need to defend and work hard everywhere, I think we do that. What we don't do is work hard in possession, no triangles, no movement, no composure, no ability to make quick 5-10 yard passes. We end up clueless, dither on the ball, the other team press and either win possession back or as usual it goes to someone like Nev who floats a ball to no one. It's tired, dull, frustrating and anyone who pays the best part of £40 to watch it is a better man than me.

Moyes - if he is the right man needs to supplement his clear tactical shortcomings with a support network, is round the man? For me no, Southgate got rid because he was too cautious - him and moyes together is like having two bass guitarists in a band that is crying out for a lead guitarist.

Now most people here just seem to critisize him and want him out? is it all Dm's fault? is he known in the football world for making awful transfer mistakes? hmmm from what i can see he has been known for making great buys...Timmy, Arteta, Pienaar, Howard, coleman, Drenthe, Donovan, Jags, Distin, and yes Neville......

Neville you say? yes thats right the guy who plays with his heart on his sleeve and was a revelation for us not so long ago.

and now we have turned on him too...so sad.

There are some i agree with. Saha does not look like he is even trying...drop him and let the other guys get a chance. they cannot do any worse. But timmy and neville...i agree they are playing shit! but they are going through a patch of bad form, they are still trying and you can see by thier faces that they care about our state as much as we do.

agree with some points but there not going through bad form there poth past it to the point where we look like playing ex players everyweek like a masters premier league team. get them out the team keep TC on the bench to come on with 15 minutes to go but we need replacements i dont think its our fault as fans for expressing our problems its when moyes doesnt see nothing and im a moyes fan wouldnt want him gone, on the billy situation we all no bill is going to promise this money in the summer and when it comes to it we wont even be able to get a few loans in. so hurt by everton this year they need to get a grip i no we gotta be positive but the only one I can think of this year is big dunk is back.

Edited by Blue4Ever

I think i've made the point several times that Moyes and 'attacking flair' do not go together. I'm sure he could give a mster class on the virtues of defending from the front, solid banks of four, keeping the midfield line tight to the defensive line when playing teams who have playmakers, playing deep when they have pace upfront etc etc - I think in terms of drilling the team in how to defend he is ok.

To use an example, go back to Man City early in the season. We defended well - really we did, but that's all we did. The problem is it's a numbers game, you can have the best defenders on the planet, playing the best football of their careers - if you keep giving the ball to the other team eventually they are going to score. This is our problem, Moyes has permanently got the guard up, the team are taking punches and offering no counter punches to make the other team think twice about the risk.

In every player in our first 11 he continually harps on about the need to defend and work hard everywhere, I think we do that. What we don't do is work hard in possession, no triangles, no movement, no composure, no ability to make quick 5-10 yard passes. We end up clueless, dither on the ball, the other team press and either win possession back or as usual it goes to someone like Nev who floats a ball to no one. It's tired, dull, frustrating and anyone who pays the best part of £40 to watch it is a better man than me.

Moyes - if he is the right man needs to supplement his clear tactical shortcomings with a support network, is round the man? For me no, Southgate got rid because he was too cautious - him and moyes together is like having two bass guitarists in a band that is crying out for a lead guitarist.

Generally though I dont think we are even defending that well. How many good chances are we giving the opposition each game? We have improved since Heitinga has been moved back there (a season and a half late) but our defence, the midfield and the strikers are all on different wave lengths.

We have defended properly in previous seasons and we have shown attacking flair and creativity. I would love to know what he is thinking as I believe he is a very thoughtful, thorough and almost innovative man when it comes to the things I have read about him and his ideas. If you watched us perform this year you would think the opposite.

Given our finacial situation you could be forgiven for Moyes settling for a soild 6-10 position there are teams with more cash than us and can buy into the top six, but the way he persists in totally defensive and negative tactics it's slowly dragging us down to a relegation battle. We r playing really shit football and we all know we can do better.

We're only a point off 10th - I think a top half finish is more realistic than going down, even allowing for how poorly we have been playing. If we are able to actually spend a bit of cash for once to bring in a striker capable of scoring goals, I don't think moving ahead of Stoke (we would need to pull back 4 points in 16 games) is an impossibility, given our tendency to improve a bit in the second half of the season. That would leave us in 8th, which would be a creditable performance overall considering the financial restraints on the club in comparison to a lot of the clubs in the league. Obviously this is a bit optimistic, but in fairness we have done a similar thing in the last two seasons!! I think 6th is a bit of an unrealistic expectation - if the RS finish there for example, Dogleash has spent a similar amount on Carroll and Downing to the cost of our entire playing squad!*

*Disclaimer - based on figures from the papers and allowing for my shite maths, but hopefully close enough to illustrate my point assuming Bily has gone wink.png

I agree with Blue Monday - that IF we were to finish top 8 then the manager and squad would deserve credit for that. That isn't to say that we would necessarily be happy with that, we wouldn't, but realistically it would be a good effort. Who knows, maybe a decent cup run to go with that too!

The problem is we have some tough games coming up, form is dire and any more injuries and its a problem.

The one thing that I don't think we have had yet this season, is a moment in the season that changes things - whether it be a lucky goal, a great fightback or just a crunching tackle like Neville on Ronaldo.

We so need that moment and very soon. In the meantime we just have to hope that the squad is working very hard and that there is a good team spirit not a divided camp.

We may well have been about ten or fifteen years ago but may have been pushed by the wayside by some plastics having recent success under investment whereas before they had years of inactivity or were not up to much. All I know is with the advent of the premier league in 1992 Everton were undeniably one of the Top Five of the time but have been reduced now as others have managed to overtake by whatever means necessary. All said there was a time in the recent past the club was big and successful and people acknowledged the team as Title challengers but as time passes and events change these days we have lost our stature as one of the heavyweights, or maybe not as well recieved as once knew but am fully aware of all that we have achieved but somebody did say it's not much good living in the past anymore