IGNORED

Duncan Ferguson interview

Louis

Thanks for that Louis, I really enjoyed it. Gives a good insight to the mind of Big Dunc. And it doesn't detract one iota from his status IMO. I hope he makes it as a coach and possibly a manager, I am sure nobody will argue with the boss when he is in charge.

Good on yer Dunc and thanks for the memories.

One of the earliest interviews I saw with Ferguson as a Toffee player would be about 1996, he was quite well spoken, but can appreciate his reluctance to give interviews out, I'd be the same most likely. I have a hard time sometimes envisaging Ferguson as an Everton manager, there would be some ruthless agression you would think, something that Moyes usually leaves behind on his way to Goodison, and an up and at 'em philosophy from the Scot, but something tells me not a really appropriate choice for manager, OK he's a a fan favorite and all and supporters have him at heart, but in a results business I don't know if he'd be appropriate, call it instincts or whatever. We really should be looking to actual managerial names if Moyes was to leave any time such as previous names mentioned.

He sounded very similar to Andy Gray.

Just seeing him confirmed everything I was told about him. A few stories I got first hand off people:

1. Niece was toffeegirl back in late 90's - brother said Dunc was the epitomy of a gent, all players off getting showered etc Dunc stayed and made a massive fuss, very generous, charming and humourous

2. Lad I know is a big Red, met Dunc in a bar in Liverpool - this lad is a slow burner and is very stand offish, said Dunc was unreal - buying everyone drinks, he left a wad of money on the bar, the lad offered it him back and dunc invited him to a party. Just said he was down to earth.

3. Another set of lads bumped into Dunc and dave watson and a few others in benidorm, Dunc was being harrassed by a bloke selling roses. Basically in the end he took the whole bunch of flowers, gave them to a random female and shoved 100's of euros in the blokes mouth - hilarious.

Basically he is a force of nature, the way he threw Ince to the deck in the derby showed a couple of things - one Dunc is immensely strong, I've had the misfortune in meeting Ince and he wasn't small by any certain terms - two, ince was a bully who cowered after dunc showed his what was what.

Could have been so much more as a player but still a hero.

• 8 months later...

I think 7 caps is unbelievable given his career, I dont think for one minute he is taking away the fact that he made that decision, it was the ridiculous scottish FA that created that decision and I totally agree with his stance. Thats what is ridiculous - he had 7 caps for one of the worst international teams there is.

Shall we remind ourselves of how our FA has ridiculously backed our players (gerrard fight in bar/assault, shearer volley to lennons head, JT fiascos etc), they hit dunc with a double punishment which was a joke and did not do anything to keep it totally inhouse. Compare his effort to fellainis or bartons? did they get a criminal charge?

Biggest OG for the scottish FA, if they had him in the 98 world cup it would have been immense to see how the brazil team would have tried to handle him - I would go as far to say they may have got through and even got a point agaisnt ronaldo and co. He was unplayable for seasoned premier league centre halves, the likes of aldair and baiano wouldn't have had a prayer if scotland got it and lumped it up to him.

Scotland did have some good players in 1998 and Ferguson at that time, would have made a considerable difference, and they may have qualified for the second round stages with his participation. Probably the best scots side they could have put together since with McLeod in Argentina in '78

Still insist that Ferguson doesn't deserve legendary status at this club. He was a crowd favorite, granted, but can't him on a plateau with some former players such as mentioned before.