IGNORED

The Olympic football tournament

Guest Nikica

The way I see it is it's football, and I love football.

true, and so do I, but it still doesnt mean anything to me. I know i'll end up watching it because, like i said, i'll be starved of footy and will take anything at that point!

People should get away from soccer when they have the opportunity, when the euros are over, there will be a six week break or more so just forget all about play and go out and do something etc, it's like watching TV, i.e. too much can be bad for you, give yourselves a break etc, this will invariably fall on deaf ears but there's like a respite for some time between end of season and new season, how people can be involved in soccer for 12 months a year I don't understand sometimes, I could never do that.

• 1 month later...

To placate the Welsh FA?

Seriously unimaginative and uninspiring choices though for me.

Not sure what the problem is. Both play EPL, Bellamy - though a dick - can be a cracking player and Giggs is a good role model for the most part.

edit : didnt realize it was the full story now.... Just read some of the comments, people are just ridiculous! Im not supporting Team GB if Becks isnt there - if thats true you never supported Team GB in the 1st place!

Oh, and just to be clear, I couldnt care less about this competition, Olympics bores me to tears.

Edited by Matt

Not sure what the problem is. Both play EPL, Bellamy - though a dick - can be a cracking player and Giggs is a good role model for the most part.

edit : didnt realize it was the full story now.... Just read some of the comments, people are just ridiculous! Im not supporting Team GB if Becks isnt there - if thats true you never supported Team GB in the 1st place!

Oh, and just to be clear, I couldnt care less about this competition, Olympics bores me to tears.

both have played many times for their countries...should be used for people who haven't or to give some of the younger lads tournament experience..not to have old guys in there

I'm glad Beckham isn't going to be part of the squad, I was appalled when it was looking like he was guaranteed to be there.

Why it's a nothing tournament and he's been more involved than any other footballer to make the team happen. Big slap in the face considering the Olympics mightn't of even been here without him in the first place.

Should've changed the wording at the Beijing closing ceremony....

"I declare the Games of the 29th Olympiad closed and, in accordance with tradition, I call upon the youth of the world, and Ryan Giggs, to assemble four years from now at London to celebrate with us there the Games of the 30th Olympiad"

both have played many times for their countries...should be used for people who haven't or to give some of the younger lads tournament experience..not to have old guys in there

This....said it before but I'd have like to have seen players like Ossie included. People who never quite made international level but honest week in week out pros with great attitude.

Giggs/Bellend are a joke....Richards not quite so much but I'd still not have picked him.

So has Beckham and you need some experience there. They might not even play!

Strange in retrospect that Wales side that Giggs was a part of in the 1990s failed to do anything or even reach a major competition, look at the caliber of players, Hughes, Southall, Saunders, Rush, Speed, Giggs himself, Barry Horne even, all good players who were certainly good enough to grace international stages, it is a pity.

Closest they came was in 1993 against Romania I think it was, and all they needed was a win in Cardiff to reach USA 94 World Cup, in their last game, and all the above players were involved, and poor Southall had an awful night, two howlers in goal and Romanians won 2-1 on the night, some still talk about it over there.

Strange in retrospect that Wales side that Giggs was a part of in the 1990s failed to do anything or even reach a major competition, look at the caliber of players, Hughes, Southall, Saunders, Rush, Speed, Giggs himself, Barry Horne even, all good players who were certainly good enough to grace international stages, it is a pity.

Paul Bodin hit the cross bar from a penalty against Romania in the final qualifying game for USA 94, had it gone in we (Wales) would have qualified for the finals. England would have too if Des Walker was not sleeping against the Dutch................

English needed to beat San Marino by seven clear goals - San Marino raced away and scored after 17 seconds happy.png , and needed Poland to beat the Netherlands by two clear goals if I remember late in 1993 in the last round of games, needless to say, neither came to pass

Actually I remember the penalty incident now, but think it was 1-1 at the time and after that Romania went up the other end and Southall made a big error and let one in and the rest is history. Someone got seriously injured by a stray flare that night if memory serves.