IGNORED

Johnny Russell

Yeah, he is. My how quickly the years fly by. huh.png

Still young though.

Still young and useful - I'd sell him if the right offer came in as I think he's good enough to lead the line at a 'lesser' PL club and wouldn't begrudge him the opportunity but some people are saying £1.5m - I'd rather keep him than take an offer like that, more like £4m+ - Carlton Cole was rated at £9m not so long ago!!!

Guest blueboy122

I would like to see Victor loaned out to a club where he could lead the line every game that way we could get a better view as to how good he is. We wont be able to tell from his sub appearences for 10/20 minutes. A loan for him would be good for all parties for his progression and would also hopefully boost his transfer value and reputation.

Guest blueboy122

I don't see why we'd get Vic a loan. Him, Jelavic and Vellios are our only out and out strikers. We need him here.

Agreed we are low on forwards however a few players can play there plus we could always resign jimmy mcfadden...joke. I just think Vic needs first team football week in week out to develop his game and improve, he hasnt improved or progressed for years and I think it could be due to the fact he doesnt get a lot regular first team football. If he had first team football he could progress the same way as Carrol did at Newcastle and we could sell him to the shite for £35 million!

I was not aware of this kid, as a latest transfer rumor. Had a quick look at his Wiki page and has a decent goals to games ratio in the SPL, as an attacking midfield player, and on loan to other scots clubs, but how far can we read into that? Even Thomsen and Milligan could have got to double figures up there against some teams defenses in the SPL. I feel right now, if this was a player we missed out on, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. This rumor or whatever it is, will no doubt come to nothing most likely, but not a player that excites or would want Moyes to consider.

Guest blueboy122

Unfortunately Mr Kane this is the market we are in. We have to look at the low cost low rent options like in the lower leagues and scottish leagues. We have to gamble on these types of players and hope they pay off, I say that but I suppose any signing is a gamble. If Moyes wanted an attacking midfeild player then junior holliet of Blackburn would have been ideal, but because he has a reputation of being a good player after one season he can command high salary even if it is undeserved.

I don't see why we'd get Vic a loan. Him, Jelavic and Vellios are our only out and out strikers. We need him here.

Yeah I guess for an out-and-out striker but if Jelly went down there's no way Vic or Tolos come in straight up to replace Jelly - Moyes would plug the likes of Mirallas, Naismith and maybe even Osman before they get a look so I don't see why we would need both of Tolos and Vic. If one of them leave permanently then I'd like to see Vic go but if it's a loan, Tolos would do well to get some game time

Yeah I guess for an out-and-out striker but if Jelly went down there's no way Vic or Tolos come in straight up to replace Jelly - Moyes would plug the likes of Mirallas, Naismith and maybe even Osman before they get a look so I don't see why we would need both of Tolos and Vic. If one of them leave permanently then I'd like to see Vic go but if it's a loan, Tolos would do well to get some game time

There's no way Osman can play as a striker. Mirallas could in certain situations, like in the Man U game after we went 1-0 up he could become the furthest man forward and try to get a goal on the counter attack, but he can't battle physically with centre backs, challenge in the air and hold the ball up and the likes. I don't know Naismith well enough, but I think the same goes for him.

We're already short on numbers. You need at least 3 out and out strikers, especially if we're going to contend for Europe for 38 games, add in the Cup runs... In my view, Jelavic is first choice, Anichebe an option off the bench and Vellios plays his games for the reserves and moves to the bench if Jelly or Vic is injured.

If Vic is to progress he needs time on the pitch. I see no point in being sat on our benches.

We do need bench players though.

Edited by Steve_E

Johnny Russell is a great young player. Had initially hoped that Celtic would sign him, but was happy to hear that Everton were after him. More of a supporting striker than anything else - kinda similar to Naismith, but with more potential.

Welcome to the forum, it's said he's pretty rapid? Is this the case - do you have a comparison in terms of pace?

Welcome to the forum, it's said he's pretty rapid? Is this the case - do you have a comparison in terms of pace?

Thanks!

He's fast, but not freakishly fast. His pace doesnt really make him stand out as far as I have seen. Very comfortable on the ball and likes to try things. I'd say he is quite similar to what James McFadden was like at that age. Hopefully he will realise his potential. We'd do well to also look at his team mate, Gary Mackay Steven. He is very skillful, has rapid pace and has great potential. Only blemishes - injured for 6 weeks and played for Liverpool as a youngun

Thanks!

He's fast, but not freakishly fast. His pace doesnt really make him stand out as far as I have seen. Very comfortable on the ball and likes to try things. I'd say he is quite similar to what James McFadden was like at that age. Hopefully he will realise his potential. We'd do well to also look at his team mate, Gary Mackay Steven. He is very skillful, has rapid pace and has great potential. Only blemishes - injured for 6 weeks and played for Liverpool as a youngun

Hmm then signing Russell doesn't quite give us that cover for Jelly does it? I feel like we have a lot of players who can play behind the striker at the moment (left, right, and centrally). Osman, Pienaar, Naismith, Anichebe, Gueye, Barkley, Mirallas and Fellaini (albeit only centrally) all can play in that position. I mean, a lot of those players will play all over throughout the course of the season and that's the kind of versatility we need but even if we "pegged" each player to a single position, it looks like we've got quite decent depth although it is a rather inexperienced and young group as back up. Wonder if we need yet another player, at least positionally? I feel like with the group mentioned above, we would do better to maybe get an out-and-out striker to add to the ranks like Steve said.

Just hope that isn't Doyle. Especially with the kind of financial comfort Wolves are in at the moment...

Hmm then signing Russell doesn't quite give us that cover for Jelly does it? I feel like we have a lot of players who can play behind the striker at the moment (left, right, and centrally). Osman, Pienaar, Naismith, Anichebe, Gueye, Barkley, Mirallas and Fellaini (albeit only centrally) all can play in that position. I mean, a lot of those players will play all over throughout the course of the season and that's the kind of versatility we need but even if we "pegged" each player to a single position, it looks like we've got quite decent depth although it is a rather inexperienced and young group as back up. Wonder if we need yet another player, at least positionally? I feel like with the group mentioned above, we would do better to maybe get an out-and-out striker to add to the ranks like Steve said.

Just hope that isn't Doyle. Especially with the kind of financial comfort Wolves are in at the moment...

He definitely wouldnt be cover for Jelavic. In fact, for Dundee United he plays as one of the wide strikers in a 4:5:1/4:3:3

Really hope we don't sign Doyle. Would much rather someone like Jordan Rhodes.

He definitely wouldnt be cover for Jelavic. In fact, for Dundee United he plays as one of the wide strikers in a 4:5:1/4:3:3

Really hope we don't sign Doyle. Would much rather someone like Jordan Rhodes.

I would love to have him, but I dont think they will sell him for any reasonable price. They added a number of solid player from last years team, and i think they believe with Rhodes they can finish in or near a playoff spot, and TBH I am inclided to believe they can as well.