IGNORED

QPR

pete0

Poor performance it has to be said.

The right starting 11 were out but Moyes got his positions all wrong. Vic is not a winger, why break up Pienaar/Baines and Coleman/Mirallas partnerships? Makes no sense to me.

Defense kept us in it, but midfield was overran. Graniero made it look really easy.

Not to be beating a well worn drum, but Neville was very poor. Missed the tackle for the goal and slowed everything.

Difference between him and Gibson is Neville's first choice is to pass it to his centre backs or flat sideways, Gibson gets turned and starts us moving forward.

Still, on and up. At the start of last season we would haave lost that game

"In the case of a red card that was shown after two yellow cards, the player is dismissed and receives a one-match ban without the right to appeal, excluding mistaken identity."

So looks like no appeal for Pienaar! Without him Fellaini and Gibson my confidence for the derby is vanishing. Why can we never get our best team out against them!!!! shaking fist.png

Maybe we can appeal it though...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11686/8152931/Watford-striker-Matej-Vydra-has-won-his-appeal-against-a-red-card

Seems like we are reverting to type again at the moment. After all the promise we showed in the first couple of games and the media hype, we have gone back to being a bit toothless in attack and unorganised in defence. The main things I took from this game are:

1. The starting line-up was probably the right one, its just that we had players in the wrong position. They never looked confortable at all but for some reason we persisted with it for most of the first half.

2. Coleman is no better than Hibbert, at least for now. I thought having Coleman in the team would help our attacking play but in truth, he is probably worse than Hibbert distribution wise and defensively he has a lot of ground to make up. Squad player at best when everyone is fit imo.

3. Neville again showed he isnt good enough in midfield. He has decent games where he does ok, but thats as good as it will get with him in that position and he is more of a hinderence than a help. I think he has a part to play as a squad member but he isnt good enough to be starting week in week out.

4. Naismith is another who seems to be struggling. He hasnt had a regular place, so I will reserve some judgement but he just seems really sloppy. Misplaced passes, poor control & a lack of execution. Maybe out wide isnt the place for him and he may be better in the middle? Does anyone know where he used to play for Rangers?

I really do think we need to play with a proper 3 in midfield, especially while felli is out. Against QPR we had either Mirallas or Pienaar trying to link between midfield and attack but they ended up not helping defensively and not supporting the striker well enough. We need to get a proper 4-1-4-1 set up, and while it might not be as pretty, it will make us a lot more difficult to break down. With the likes of Mirallas, Osman, Felli, Pienaar all springing forward to support Jelavic, Im sure we would still do pretty well. It will also encourage us to keep the ball on the floor a bit more, which is when we play our best football.

Good news is Hibbert got 90 mins for the U21's today. (Also Hitzl played the full game, and Vellios scored. Match result 1-2 Arsenal)

(From the paper talk when he signed for us) Naismith played upfront, but performed better after being moved to the right wing.

Edited by pete0

Having one player unavailable (Fellaini) shouldn't have resulted in so many positional changes, and square peg in round hole changes at that. I thought Moyes had moved away from that crap, but evidently not. Anichebe started the game upfront, which I was quite happy with but, for whatever reason, after they got their early goal Moyes decided Anichebe would be better used on the right wing dont know.gif . Vic is never a right winger in a million years, he doesn't have the skill to play there, and he'd gained confidence lately from getting a go upfront. So quite what possessed Moyes to play him there I have absolutely no idea. That also split up Mirallas and Coleman who had been looking like forging a strong partnership. The partnership of Pienaar and Baines was also split up for some reason. It made for a mish mash of a formation, we had no shape to us whatsoever and at times I really had no clue who was playing where. By the looks of things neither did the players. So tactically, Moyes ballsed up big time. But that doesn't explain why we gave QPR all the time in the world on the ball, couldn't pass to our team mates accurately, let QPR run with the ball completely unchallenged, couldn't attack effectively... the blame for those things lies squarely with the players.

All in all, we didn't get much right and where a point probably looked a poor result before the game, after the performance we put in it looks a very good point.

I hope it rings true that form goes out of the window in a derby because our form (performance wise) isn't too hot. I also hope that we have at least one of Fellaini and Gibson back, because if we go into that game with Osman and, the quite frankly useless, Neville at the heart of our midfield we'll lose the midfield battle effortlessly. We have a very attacking midfield so we need someone who will sit in there and give us protection. That someone is not Neville. He's as much protection as a split condom. If it's only Fellaini that's back then I pray that Moyes resists the temptation to play him further up the field. We'll need him further back more than ever on Sunday. Even if the pair of them are back I'd want him in midfield tbh.

Howard - Had a couple of moments that made me want to hide behind my hands but also pulled off some crucial saves that helped to earn us a point.

Coleman - Good god, defensively he was all over the show. He has so much work to do if he ever wants to make the RB slot his own. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at fault for most of the goals the Republic conceded against Germany after this showing. I hope Hibbert's back for the derby tbh. I've noticed people saying that he was good going forward but I don't recall this at all. I don't think anyone in our team was good going forward.

Jagielka - Really looks to be getting back to the player that I loved so much a couple of seasons ago and who I nicknamed the wall because fuck all was going to get past him. He was immense and is the main reason we came away with a point. He covered for Coleman's ineptitude, he made crucial block after crucial block, won header after header, he organised things, he could and should have scored. He was the glue that held us together and was my MOTM.

Distin - He was OK. He didn't really inspire that confidence but he didn't make any major boo boo's either.

Baines - Disappointing to say the least. I barely realised he was playing unless we had a free-kick in a dangerous position.

Anichebe - He gets my sympathy due to being played on the right. He was never going to be effective out there and I was relieved when he went off.

Osman - Another player I'd completely forget was playing for large periods of the game. He looked knackered for most of the game too.

Neville - He had a 100% pass completion for this game, which just goes to show how shit statistics can be. He was no help whatsoever and was actually a hindrence. He slowed us down whenever he got the ball so it was a struggle to ever get anything going. And defensively, which is his main reason for playing, he was woeful. He just follows the ball so it was incredibly easy for QPR to move him around the pitch and create so much space for them to exploit. Time has got to be up for Mr. Neville.

Pienaar - Another big disappointment. He never got anything going, which then made him try too hard when he got the ball - trying little flicks when we needed to be calm in possession and keep hold of it for a bit. You can say he was unlucky to get the second yellow card (he was, the QPR player kicked him) but, like Marco, I'd have taken him off straight away after the ref gave him a warning because Pienaar does get stuck in and I firmly believe he'd have been sent off a little later anyway. As soon as he was warned I was thinking to myself, "get him off".

Mirallas - Probably the only one who showed anything in the way of a spark and if anything was going to happen it was going to come from him. Sadly, those sparks didn't appear often enough.

Jelavic - Did nothing of any note.