IGNORED

League or Cup?

Mogsy

Yeap, it's that time of the year when we ask ourselves what would you rather, as high up in the league as possible, or win the cup. Do we concentrate all our efforts and try to get into the champions league? I personally think we have blown all chances of a top 4 place, and I think fifth is unlikely, so realistically sixth is as high as we go, which won't guarantee European football, but the cup will, plus I would rather see us get some silverware, than finish fifth, because, with our lack of depth, we couldn't maintain an long assault in Europe. So win the cup, finish top half, and just play for fun in Europe next season.

Looking at our current situation 4th place will be very difficult to achieve so I'd rather we focus on trying to win the cup.

If I had to straight out choose between an FA cup win and a 4th place finish, I would like to think I'd choose the cup every time. It is silverware after all and one of the most famous trophies in football. A CL run would no doubt boost our finances and allow us to play some of the biggest names in Europe though so it's a tough question these days...

League. We're only 6 points behind with the 2 above bound to drop points as they play each other.

If all goes well, we could be just a point behind after our next 2 games.

Everton: Norwich(A) Reading(H) Hopefully we find a cutting edge in the final third and dont give away any easy goals.

Arsenal: Villa(H) Spurs(A) Villa got a draw against us somehow, doubt they'll be as fortunate at the Emirates.

Spurs: West Ham(A) Arsenal(H) West Ham have only been beaten at home by us, Arsenal, and Liverpoo and were leading at some point in each game. Unlucky not to have got all the points against City (goal wasn't offside) and Utd (last min equaliser) and they somehow trumped Chelsea 3-1 thanks to Jussi having a worldie. (I'm doing my best to convince myself West Ham will win aha).

Everton: Norwich(A) Reading(H) Hopefully we find a cutting edge in the final third and dont give away any easy goals.

We'll lose to Norwich, draw with Reading, ending the season's pretence, I fear. Moyes will utter the usual platitudes, of course, leaving us just enough time over the summer to forget it all and allow him to repeat the whole process next season (ad infinitum). So, the cup is a better bet, but we're going to need a great deal of luck (all the good teams knocking each other out). I think we could take Luton in the final, though. Just. On penalties. Edited by formby

Id take 4th place over a cup anytime. CL is that important, money, player attraction, investment, Fellaini etc

If we cant reach 4th spot, what is the difference between 5th and 6th money wise? How much do you get for winning the cup? Id chose the option with the biggest payout. Even if it would be nice with silverware.

Cup for me - that at least is a title and silverwhare - more realistic chance - better than anything else in the last 10 years

4th in league seems unlikely -

although David Moyes said for Everton to come 4th would be like winning the league for us is -

to me it is just accepting defeat and our status as eternal bridesmaid -

we are not good enough yet to seriously compete in Europe - but that should be our aim -

we must determine what stands in our way and deal with it

why not both? only a few extra games

Indeed why not both. It's within our capabilities.

But all the same, I'd much rather want to see the club win an actual trophy again. Some younger members have never seen the club win anything, never experienced what it feels like to be part of a winning team or see our captain go up and lift a trophy. Not saying we can again this season, but there's a decent opportunity there.

I would have to say cup. we need silverware to give our best players a meddle and also our manager.

As a fan i would love to have that day that turns into a week long celebration and feel good factor!

We need silverware!

Don't you mean medal ?

Look, I've seen the club win league championships, FA cups, European honors. I've been a witness to it, but what have we achieved in recent years ? Fucking nothing. Let's not kid ourselves, the opportunities have been there. This year will represent 18 years since Everton Football Club last won anything, and it's simply not good enough

No club has any divine right to be successful or win trophies, but don't you think we should have registered something by now since 1995 ? Moyes has had the opportunities, as have the players, but as always, we can't navigate those final obstacles,or the nearer we get to actually winning something, it always ends up in the same predicament. I'm fearful if we can beat Oldham in the next rounds, and quietly confident -although the upset is there, we may just go over familiar territory once again, but it's a winnable game, and with it, a place in the last eight.

I want to see us win a trophy again. Moyes has done well etc etc etc, in getting us regular european soccer and we've come on leaps and bounds since Smith and even Walker, and the club has made itself noticed, but what about an actual trophy ?

We're not Middlesbrough. We're not Blackburn Rovers. We're not Portsmouth. If we did manage to win something again, we'll still be stable. It's an even greater incentive for Moyes to stay on. We won't go the way of the teams mentioned.

Goddamn it, all it requires, is team work, the players of caliber we have playing to their strengths, everybody pulling their weight, admittedly a favor of small fortune along the way, and going out to win, and I think there's a damn good chance there this season. And why not.

In all probability we won't capture a european cup place, so that only leaves UEFA cup soccer, and given the choice between that (and it's a damn difficult trophy to win now) and an actual trophy to behold, I'd take the latter right now.

Say what you like, and all the fucking Moyes stability issue, but I want - you want - to see this club as winners of an actual trophy to touch once again. It's been 18 years damn it, some won't even remember.

This season represents the opportunity to do something once again.

I really want to say the league, but as long as we finish in the top 7 I'll be happy, however I must admit I would love to win the FA cup. I think as a club we have to measure ourselves against the things we can accomplish. We can beat anyone on any day, but over a season we are gping to struggle to keep the pace with the sugar daddy teams. As we have proven each year we can and will finish ahead of some, but to finish above all seems a nearly impossible task.

meddle haha! ye thanks for picking me up on that one.

But good stirring post Dalziel!

You know i could get over losing a final if we gave it everything to win it. When we took the lead against Chelsea i rubbed my hands together and thought here we go, fell out with 90% of the pub due to them being Chelsea fans and me dancing in thier faces! Then watched the rest of the match as we tried to defend a lead for 88 minutes. That deflated me, it was demoralising because i knew it was just a matter of time before the equalised and took the lead.

If we went out and tried to win every match then losing would not be as bad. i just hate to see us have a chance to win something and go out with a whimper!

The league for me.

I don't really care about the cup, look who won it in 2008 - Portsmouth. The fact is the cup is a very nice thing to win but it doesn't exactly make you a top team, if you qualify for the Champions League however you are a top team and with that you can attract top players. Whilst I agree it would be nice for us to win the cup this year it would be more beneficial to us as a football club if we reached the Champions League places in the league and qualified.

PompeyCupCele_468x265.jpg

I'd prefer us to get Champions League than win the FA Cup and remain as a club still 'trying' for Europe.

The league for me.

I don't really care about the cup, look who won it in 2008 - Portsmouth. The fact is the cup is a very nice thing to win but it doesn't exactly make you a top team, if you qualify for the Champions League however you are a top team and with that you can attract top players. Whilst I agree it would be nice for us to win the cup this year it would be more beneficial to us as a football club if we reached the Champions League places in the league and qualified.

PompeyCupCele_468x265.jpg

I'd prefer us to get Champions League than win the FA Cup and remain as a club still 'trying' for Europe.

if we won the cup we would be in Europe, no trying needed.

I still think we should be aiming for both. The players are professional athletes, playing a max of four extra games (think thats right) shouldnt make a difference!

that said, if forced to choose... we can try for forth and miss out, ending up in the Europa league if were lucky with no chance of silverware, or aim for the cup and end up in the Europa league anyway.

that said, if forced to choose... we can try for forth and miss out, ending up in the Europa league if were lucky with no chance of silverware, or aim for the cup and end up in the Europa league anyway.

We could also aim for the cup and lose in the final to a good team like Manchester United or Chelsea and because we've spent so long concentrating on the cup we throw away the league leaving us with nothing. For me we should aim for both but concentrate on getting a 4th place finish so that we can get into the Champions League as that will really propel us forward as a football club.

We could also aim for the cup and lose in the final to a good team like Manchester United or Chelsea and because we've spent so long concentrating on the cup we throw away the league leaving us with nothing. For me we should aim for both but concentrate on getting a 4th place finish so that we can get into the Champions League as that will really propel us forward as a football club.

if we lose inthe final to Man Utd or Chelsea, we would get their Europa position provided they finish top 3, right?

Plus 4th means qualifying so no guarantee of CL footy anyway

Edited by Matt

Plus 4th means qualifying so no guarantee of CL footy anyway

Yes but the Champions League qualifiers could be kind to us. The standard of teams in there are very poor, it could be us against the runners-up from the Israili Premier. I think if we got 4th we'd at least reach the group stages.

Yes but the Champions League qualifiers could be kind to us. The standard of teams in there are very poor, it could be us against the runners-up from the Israili Premier. I think if we got 4th we'd at least reach the group stages.

just going on previous experience, it might not be so easy....

Still, i know what you mean. Stand by what Marco said, theres no reason cant aim for both

I'd take the FA cup this year, i think Felli will go anyway but can you imagine us winning the cup on the final game of the season on a sunny day and then having £30 mill to spend? Uefa cup football secure and the club buzzing? next year fourth will be going again cos Arsenal will be the same and Bale will be gone probably from Spurs so with the dough we have id be confident

I'd take the FA cup this year, i think Felli will go anyway but can you imagine us winning the cup on the final game of the season on a sunny day and then having £30 mill to spend? Uefa cup football secure and the club buzzing? next year fourth will be going again cos Arsenal will be the same and Bale will be gone probably from Spurs so with the dough we have id be confident

Highly doubt that. 'Arry used to big him up and the papers have carried on where he left. He's miles away from the likes of Real/Barca and Bayern Munich's quality.

Highly doubt that. 'Arry used to big him up and the papers have carried on where he left. He's miles away from the likes of Real/Barca and Bayern Munich's quality.

He's at that level where he'd get game time at any of these - real/Barca may have better but if they had him then he'd get game time. Bayern have Robben who like Gary Neville said correctly, Bale is very similar to. Arry and the papers bigging Bale up is being justified by on pitch performances. He, along with RVP and Suarez look the best players in the prem on current form.

He's at that level where he'd get game time at any of these - real/Barca may have better but if they had him then he'd get game time. Bayern have Robben who like Gary Neville said correctly, Bale is very similar to. Arry and the papers bigging Bale up is being justified by on pitch performances. He, along with RVP and Suarez look the best players in the prem on current form.

Modric was a class above Bale when at Spurs and isn't much cop at Real. If Modric is struggling it's hard to see Bale making it. Plus he struggles to do anything against top half club's who's players have the know how to stifle his pace, which is his whole game.

Modric was a class above Bale when at Spurs and isn't much cop at Real. If Modric is struggling it's hard to see Bale making it. Plus he struggles to do anything against top half club's who's players have the know how to stifle his pace, which is his whole game.

Totally different players plus I don't agree that Modric was a class above Bale at Spurs in their common time there.