IGNORED

Utd vs Real

Great save again from the Real keeper.

Diego Lopez seems to have turned into a really solid goalkeeper. He's only ever been first-choice at Villareal and after the past few performances against Barcelona and Manchester United tonight he should really be playing week in and week out for a top club.

I don't mind when Manchester United benefit from referee's because it pisses of Liverpool. I'm not sad that they have gone out I just wished that Madrid would have won because they were the better team - not because they had more players.

The referee spoiled the game, a completely insane decision that cannot go un-punished.

Edit: Amazing words from Mourinho - 'The best team lost'.

Edited by Zoo

Mind games from Mourinho....best team won from what I saw.

Sending off was completely justified.

Even then, if you're ahead in a game and if you're a decent team you can defend effectively with ten on the pitch....should make no difference whatsoever to your back line. So saying the sending off spoiled the game is ridiculous.

Mind games from Mourinho....best team won from what I saw.

Sending off was completely justified.

Even then, if you're ahead in a game and if you're a decent team you can defend effectively with ten on the pitch....should make no difference whatsoever to your back line. So saying the sending off spoiled the game is ridiculous.

I dont get how people are thinking this! Nani is watching the ball the whole way. His toes touch the ball just as he collides with Arbelloa, who was approaching at speed from out of Nanis range of vision (although according to Keane, every player should telepathically know where everyone is on the pitch)

Now apparently the EPL lacks the quality of La Liga....

Red card was on par with Carlton Cole's and Gibbo's - both rescinded! Shouldn't have been red in my opinion but Nani does extend his leg at the last minute as he makes contact with the player so can kind of see why the ref has given it... Man.Utd fans need to get over it, it's happened - nothing on Collina disallowing Big Dunc's header!!!

Red card was on par with Carlton Cole's and Gibbo's - both rescinded! Shouldn't have been red in my opinion but Nani does extend his leg at the last minute as he makes contact with the player so can kind of see why the ref has given it... Man.Utd fans need to get over it, it's happened - nothing on Collina disallowing Big Dunc's header!!!

brilliant example.

Man.Utd fans need to get over it, it's happened - nothing on Collina disallowing Big Dunc's header!!!

I do agree with this though, I 100% think that the red card was wrong but people do need to get over it. Bad decisions (sadly) happen all the time so its nothing new... I just can't wait for Ferguson's interview regarding the game.

....the fact the other player also approached at speed and jumped doesnt enter into it??

No....because he didn't put his studs into Nani's chest.

Chiles read the rules and even he had to agree that taking the wording of the law literally, it was a justified red card.

Harsh one for sure, I'd be royally pissed off it it happened to us, but still not a wrong decision.

I also still maintain that a decent team, in front in a game, should still be able to defend effectively with ten players on the pitch. It happens all the time so for United (and some on here) to imply they lost the game in that incident is a cop out.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. Man Utd had enough chances to score more goals, so perhaps they should blame their strikers instead.

Of course not....he's an Everton playertongue.png .

United players should get red cards for looking at the opposition in a threatening way!

But the letter of the law the ref was correct tonight.

Got to be honest here, if ref's followed the letter of the law exactly, then there'd be 3-5 sendings off per game and no tackling in football. A ref using good judgment and discretion and common sense is the best approach.

No....because he didn't put his studs into Nani's chest.

Chiles read the rules and even he had to agree that taking the wording of the law literally, it was a justified red card.

Harsh one for sure, I'd be royally pissed off it it happened to us, but still not a wrong decision.

I also still maintain that a decent team, in front in a game, should still be able to defend effectively with ten players on the pitch. It happens all the time so for United (and some on here) to claim they lost the game in that incident is a cop out.

think this is the first time im completely in disagreement with you mate. He doesnt get his chest either from what I saw. Anyway, if thats he case, any tackle involving speed is a red card because that could be considered dangerous play.

Chiles read it? You feel dirty? tongue.png

Bit in bold, I would usually agree with but they quite rightly rattled. Still, shouldve just got on with it. No doubting the game changed because of that decision...

Retired referee Dermot Gallagher on BBC Radio 5 live: "[The decision was] harsh to say the least but in fairness the Real player did Nani no favours whatsoever. At worst Nani catches the underside of his arm, certainly not the ribs as the guy has gone down and shown.

"I can't reiterate enough that he [Nani] is watching the ball over his shoulder, there was no malice in him. At worst it was a yellow for dangerous play, but if I was refereeing that game I cannot se what stretch of the imagination where I would have sent him off for that."

Heres the bit from Keane:

"In my career I would think 'did I give the referee a chance to send me off?'. If I did, then it is out of my hands. I think that is the right decision. It is irrelevant if Nani meant to do it. He should be aware of the players around him. Does he think that he will have 20 yards to himself?,"

id agree if the player is somewhere in his eye line, but Arbeloa is sprinting for the ball.

Question, as Arbeloa jumps and catches Nani on the side of the foot, causing him to spin and land in a funky way, is that red card?

Edited by Matt