IGNORED

Utd vs Real

No problem....you're looking at it impassionately and I'm looking at it wanting to laugh at United (any other "big" club I'd do the same) and their hypocrisysmile.png .

not saying it doesnt reek of karma. I think im most annoyed that it ruined the game.

not saying it doesnt reek of karma. I think im most annoyed that it ruined the game.

It didn't ruin the game though (as I've said twice above). Complete cop out....teams win with ten players all the time. Taking off Wellbeck (for example) would've had a minimal effect on United's defence.

(Actually that second bit's a bit daft because their defence was still intact, but I still think it's a valid point)

I also still maintain that a decent team, in front in a game, should still be able to defend effectively with ten players on the pitch. It happens all the time so for United (and some on here) to imply they lost the game in that incident is a cop out.

Absolutely correct. Inter proved that conclusively a couple of years ago in the CL SF against Barca. No problem with the sending off for me. United bleating about it is ridiculous. If they couldn't shut up shop, they should shut their mouths. Had a lovely walk round Piccadilly Gardens just now with a big smile on my face. Schadenfreude doesn't do justice to the way I felt. Gloating comes closer. Real fans celebrating in the fountains which was also nice to see. Edited by formby

It didn't ruin the game though (as I've said twice above). Complete cop out....teams win with ten players all the time. Taking off Wellbeck (for example) would've had a minimal effect on United's defence.

(Actually that second bit's a bit daft because their defence was still intact, but I still think it's a valid point)

so you expect the same quality of football with 10 vs 11?

So based on this decision say goodbye to rooneyesque overhead kicks, as the risk of making contact with a players body gets you walked.

Cahills goal against Chelsea was very near a red card technically, belletti moved his head out the way.

Game has gone mad.

anyway.... It ruined the game for me. knocked the wind out of Utd, unbalanced the power of play which was teetering one way or the other, it was exciting. Real had to push to stay in. As soon as Nani went, Utd were shellshocked (theyre humans out there afterall) and no amount of professionalism was going to help there - decisions like that make you think the referee is playing for the opposition.

A yellow card wouldve sufficed (and still wouldve been within the laws of the game, depending on what you determine to be dangerous play) and we couldve had an exciting final 30.

in Champions League quarter final replays against teams of Reals standard?

You're making the mistake of assuming I care about the quality of the game Matttongue.png ....I wish it was even more controversial...I wish United had had seven penalty appeals turned down and finished with eight on the pitch. I'm delighted they lost, I wish they'd have been humiliated.

My delight is heightened by the fact that I know with absolute certainty that had the exact same decision gone against Madrid Ferguson would be saying, "Yeah, it was a red."

You're making the mistake of assuming I care about the quality of the game Matttongue.png....I wish it was even more controversial...I wish United had had seven penalty appeals turned down and finished with eight on the pitch. I'm delighted they lost, I wish they'd have been humiliated.

My delight is heightened by the fact that I know with absolute certainty that had the exact same decision gone against Madrid Ferguson would be saying, "Yeah, it was a red."

fair enough then. Im off to bed. Stayed up to watch this game after a shit day, probably also why im so wound up - I couldve got an early night!

Post from Red Cafe (guy with 9,000+ posts)....

"I know this will be controversial and unpopular, but that team is capable of easily holding out against Madrid for half an hour with 10 men, with a little luck.

We got our luck (the Rafael handball) and we still made a monkeys of it because the team went too deep too early and Fergie was far too slow to react. You can only play what's on the pitch and it was Fergies/the management team's job to change something that so so clearly wasn't working, that even the ITV commentary team pointed it out.

Within 5 minutes Mourinho had made 2 changes but Fergie just let things roll for 10 minutes in a crucial period where we desperately needed some fresh impetus.

I still think this squad is capable of great things and we will see that in the next few years, but the red should not have been the be all and end all of the result tonight."

6,000+ poster...

"We allowed openings and chances left and right once we went down to ten, it is far worse than when other teams go down to ten and the opposition have to face a wall of 9 defenders who know what their task is and remain somewhat calm.

We sit back, but we do it without the same guile as some other top teams who have faced similar situations and look like deers in headlights.

It isn´t a coincidence, look at Bayern, same sort of collapse. Going down to ten is bad for most teams, but disastrous and a certain meltdown for us."

No love for fergie or united. they usually benefit from these kinds of awful decisions. it was worth it to see fergie with his purple nose and the look like someone's just let rip a silent and pungent fart off under his nose, and to see mourinho fawning to man utd with his comments so he can have fergie's place when he eventualyl goes. a great night of football for neutrals and real supporters.

No love for fergie or united. they usually benefit from these kinds of awful decisions. it was worth it to see fergie with his purple nose and the look like someone's just let rip a silent and pungent fart off under his nose, and to see mourinho fawning to man utd with his comments so he can have fergie's place when he eventualyl goes. a great night of football for neutrals and real supporters.

Hasn't Mourinho said he won't be managing United?

He said in an interview but in my opinion he will be the one that will take over from Sir Alex, he's one of the best managers in the world and would be perfect for them. I'd rather have him there than back at Chelsea.

(Interview) http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2013/02/12/3746765/mourinho-i-wont-replace-sir-alex-ferguson-at-manchester

You're making the mistake of assuming I care about the quality of the game Matttongue.png....I wish it was even more controversial...I wish United had had seven penalty appeals turned down and finished with eight on the pitch. I'm delighted they lost, I wish they'd have been humiliated.

i agree with you Mike - technically it was a red - studs up - both feet off the ground - above waist - made contact - whole tooty !!! -

did you see Nani rolling around as though his leg was broken to distract the ref - he knew he was in trouble -

he could have retracted his leg when he realized other player was coming in -

"Could have killed him !!!!! " Alex would have said with the MAN UNITED supporters in quorus -

if you do a bicycle kick surrounded by a bunch of players and you break somebody's nose - it should be red - you can not do something dangerous unless you are sure it is safe -

jumping a stop street without having seen the other car coming does not excuse you -

Man United got what they deserved - they are just not used to it -

Real Madrid scored all 3 goals anyway lol