IGNORED

Positions that need reinforcement

That last column evidentally shows a typical statistic of a striker that's out of form. Question is if that's a motive to sell a player who obviously has good potential.

No it isn't a reason to see him. Torres is another example of a player who hasn't got a lot of confidence but recently he has been proving himself. He still isn't a shadow of what he was but still. Jelavic hasn't had as many good deliveries as he had last season. Don't know why, I think it might be Moyes tactic in Fellaini. We can only tell next season with a new manager different tactics whether he will become confident again.

Needed:

A keeper to push Tim. I thought Mucha was undervalued by Moyes, but looked keen in his opportunity, and should have kept his place.

Center Backs:

Would like Ryan Shawcross (STK) or maybe Whinston Reid (WHU). Duffy is an option, but remains inexperienced at this level, so will need to be gradually introduced into the season, or loaned out as a sweetener for a transfer in, to get his experience.

Midfield: I think we are desperate for a dominant midfield that can sort out the top teams defensively. Some deals could be found for James Mcarthy (WGN), Morgan Schneiderlin (SPTN), Claudio Yacob (WB) or maybe even a cheeky swoop for Ramires (CHE).

Out wide, we're not too bad as long as we don't get injuries, but defensively, and especially if Fellaini goes, we are weak.

Striker wise, we could use one more dynamic striker, such as Benteke (AV) or Lukaku (CHE) but I think they will be in the spotlight come summer, and we might not get a good deal.

Maybe we need a Director of Football to sort this thing out.... Do we have one?

What do they do exactly?!

Whilst Id love to bring in 3-4 decent players, Id love to bring in 1-2 excellent players provided noone leaves. Lukaku wont be an option but Id go all out for him, the kid is going to be a world class player. A CB is a must if Johnny is going too.

completely agree with Avin about a keeper to challenge THow, maybe bring Ruddy back?

Howard's had it too easy for the last few years. No real pressure on him so he knows even if he makes a mistake he'll be starting the following game. I was gutted we didn't get Butland. Think he will be a quality GK one day. We definately need someone though to put some real pressure on Howard.

Position wise I've had a look at it, I think a new keeper should actually be high on the list, does anyone know how old Al Habsi is? I know he's made some howlers in the past but from what I've seen overall he's a solid keeper, and he certainly wasn't helped out any in defense!!!

Looking at our squad, the vunerable points highlight themselves:

GK: Howard, Mucha, Springthorpe

RB: Coleman, Hibbert, Stones

CB: Jagielka, Heitinga, Distin, Duffy

LB: Baines, Oveido

RM: Mirallas, Naismith

CM: Fellaini, Gibson, Osman, Barkley, Hitzlsperger

LM: Pienaar, Gueye

ST: Jelavic, Anichebe, Vellios

Players that could leave - Johnny has a year to run on his contract, and said if Everton want to make money off him he is happy with that as much as he is happy with staying. However if we could recoup £2.5-3m for him he will go. Fellaini is a possibility but I think after everything that has happened in his career at Everton and the way he's grown, I can see him staying one more season. If he doesn't, his release clause is in the mid 20's (£26mil??) so we'll definitely get a wedge for him, plus probable bonuses based on appearances and trophies/titles won. Baines is the one I'm most worried about. Without him at left back, we will not only need someone good as a replacement, we will probably need a first team player from someone else, anyone else would be filler compared to what he has done. I also think if Baines were to leave Pienaar would probably end up abroad as well. But if it was just Baines, I don't imagine we'd sell for less than £15m.

So in total, from players that could leave, we'd hopefully have somewhere in the region of £40m from transfers, giving us probably £25-30m to spend on new players to address the players in red. However, if we keep all our players, we still have the problem of what's behind our first 11, and as we've known for some time, it's not a lot...

Positions to re-inforce:

Goalkeeper

Centre Back

Right Back

Right Midfield

Left Midfield

Central (playmaker) Midfield

Striker

Goalkeeper - As stated, Howard isn't going to get better, he'll just gradually slip down the mountain, heels dug in trying to stop his fall. With a new manager usually come new players and I would hope that we would get a new 1st choice keeper in and get shot of Mucha and loan out Springthorpe. Howard may have been good for a number of years but just like Neville, (one game he could have Bale in his pocket, another he could spray a terrible back pass that leads to a goal) he should be moving to the bench and providing cover and pressure for a new, younger keeper. Begovic is touted, and since Stoke have signed Jack Butland I think we could get a better deal than £15m. Like I said though Al Habsi might not be a bad shout, but I could be alone in this.

Defense - Hibbert won't be good enough anymore, he's too slow and too old, and I'm not sure if Stones can provide cover for Coleman who after this season has established himself as our de facto right back. Saying that though, I don't really want another right back, so I'd prefer a defender who can cover at that position but mainly play centre back. Since Azpillicueta has done okay at Chelsea, and I can see Mourinho buying a defender, it would be pragmatic to make a bid for Ivanovic, the type of player that could help get us into that top eschelon of football. However that is incredibly unlikely, but exactly the player I think we need. The jury's out on Duffy, whether the new manager would take a risk on him I'm not sure. Again, regardless of who goes I think we should be looking at another centre back. Alcaraz is on a free, and would be a good squad player. Left back I feel Oveido has more to offer than we've seen and I'd be happy to give him some games at left back so I'm not overconcerened, however if we did sell baines, the ever touted Luke Shaw would be ideal, but will be very overpriced.

Midfield - Our starting midfield is good enough for me for next season, however if players lose form there's so little behind them it's terrifying. Behind Mirallas-Fellaini-Gibson-Pienaar is Naismith-Barkley-Hitzlsperger-Gueye. Perosnally, I want to see Barkley in the first team as much as possible next season. We'll never see him fly if we keep him in a cage, and going on loan won't motivate him like playing for Everton will. He needs to be allowed to make mistakes, and if he doesn't get games now he's development could stagnate, after what seems like many years ago since Tim Cahill said he was the "best footballer he's ever played with", it would be a crying shame for him, a financial loss for us, and a sign that we aren't developing the youth like we should. Back to the squad though, we obviously need a winger. Naismith, although I tried to give him a chance, is a bog standard scottish player, with little invention and a very one track mind. Mirallas is his polar opposite, and we need another player like Mirallas to add speed and tenacity to our wings. Atsu has been mentioned, but it always irks me when players try to angle for moves, it always feels like it's for money and not for the challenge, but if he's cheap he'd be a solid little buy. On the left, well, did anyonew atch Gueye out on loan? is he the new Pienaar? Or should we be looking for a left midfielder as well? Man City look to be tying up a deal for Navas, which is a very good buy for them, so even though he's a jack, I think Scott Sinclair would be a good addtion on loan for a season.

As far as the central playmaking role is concerned, I'd love to see McCarthy here, but not for the wrong price. £12m to me plus add ons up to around £15m would be fair, but anything higher and we should look elsewhere. McCarthy would add another young fresh approach to our mdifield, and the thought of he and Barkley tearing through teams is exciting to say the least.

Attack - Jelavic on form means we don't need anyone. However, givent hat he wasn't in form for most of last season means we are tragically short up front. Anichebe's contsant promise to be a top striker simply never materialises, and although Vellios made a good impact when we first saw him, that'll be 2 seasons ago come September, and I've heard nothing on his development since. So another striker is a must if we are serious about pushing, but if we don't sell it will be a tall order to get a nailed on 20 goal a season striker. Kone however could provide a middle ground, another Wigan raid and admittedly would probably cost us a fair few mil, he did well in his first season of British football and I imagine would jump at the chance toget back in the top flight. Striekrs I'll admit though, are my weakest subject, in terms of who we could afford and would be value for money....not that it isn't hard enought to think fo that in the first place :dry:

So my picks as things stand would be:

GK - Begovic (Sell Mucha, loan Springthorpe)

CB - Alcaraz (Free)

LB - Luke Shaw (If we sell Baines)

RM - Atsu (Sell Naismith?? Pretty please??)

LM - Scott Sinclair (loan)

CM - McCarthy (if we sell fellaini, otherwise I don't think we have the money

ST - Kone

but the picks we make, as is every year, are always subject to rapid and unpredictable change (Charles Nzogbia was the only player we needed at one point!!) so for now I'm hoping we simply keep everyone and maybe sign one or two. I'm really interested to see how much the tv money is though, surely we should have a morsel to spend this summer without selling. here's hoping...

good write up Regulator (despite the Al Habsi shout :P )

I think Sinclair would be a very good shout and see no reason why we couldnt get him for 5m (he went to Citeh for 7-8m, right?).

Apart from Alacraz (who i know little about), all the others will be very overpriced unfortunately. Still think Baines will stay, so no need for a replacement there. Still unsure about Kone, but like Benteke, will be over priced for having 1 good season.

good write up Regulator (despite the Al Habsi shout :P )

I think Sinclair would be a very good shout and see no reason why we couldnt get him for 5m (he went to Citeh for 7-8m, right?).

Apart from Alacraz (who i know little about), all the others will be very overpriced unfortunately. Still think Baines will stay, so no need for a replacement there. Still unsure about Kone, but like Benteke, will be over priced for having 1 good season.

In truth, Al Habsi was an after thought, Julio Cesar if he's leaving would be better. Truth be told, I think Fulham have got ahead of the pack with a £3m deal for Stekelenburg, I rate him and £3m is pretty cheap for a keeper of his ability. Begovic would be amazing but I doubt we'll go a for a player like him, the price tag alone will put us off.

Mcarthy is no replacement for Fellaini imo and not at the £15m quoted recently. As was mentioned before, market here is just crazy. Is Kone really that much better than Victor?

I grant you he is not at Fellaini's level but let's be frank here, Fellaini was an elbowing, 15 yellow cards a season player until Moyes calmed him down and he got his head on straight. Every player has their downfall, and Mccarthy, although an overpriced youth, is arguably the best player at Wigan and I'd hate to see an Arsenal or Spurs get him and end up having a very good player, only for us to buy 3 or 4 to do the same job over the next 5 years and none of them stick. That being said, there are probably continental players who would be a lot cheaper and are at the same level. Thinking of QPR again, Granero and M'Bia would both probably want a move.

It's not that Kone is that much better really, just having Vic score half a dozen goals again for a season, all against teams below us, isn't enough. Kone may not be a 20 goal a season but I'd warrant at least 10, and that's what I think we need, stability. A new manager should give us renewed drive and enthusiasm, but players like Vic have had too many second chances and I just can't see him becoming an important player for us. Mirallas, Jelavic, Baines and Fellaini are our main goal threats, behind that Ossie/Pienaar/Gibson can probably get 10 between them, so we need someone to come in and give us those extra goals that make the difference. Looking at the games we drew last season, if you add a few goals suddenly we would have had champions league. I don't want to make the same assessment next season, because we're not the same now. A new manager means a new direction, a different style of football, but most of all ambition. We have to believe that we're only 1 or 2 good players from having a Chamions League level squad. In which case, I would take a Kone for the right money, but you're right, players, strikers especially, can get hyped up far too quickly when it's usually the case that they were playing beyond their ability in the first place.

It's not that Kone is that much better really, just having Vic score half a dozen goals again for a season, all against teams below us, isn't enough. Kone may not be a 20 goal a season but I'd warrant at least 10, and that's what I think we need, stability. A new manager should give us renewed drive and enthusiasm, but players like Vic have had too many second chances and I just can't see him becoming an important player for us. Mirallas, Jelavic, Baines and Fellaini are our main goal threats, behind that Ossie/Pienaar/Gibson can probably get 10 between them, so we need someone to come in and give us those extra goals that make the difference. Looking at the games we drew last season, if you add a few goals suddenly we would have had champions league. I don't want to make the same assessment next season, because we're not the same now. A new manager means a new direction, a different style of football, but most of all ambition. We have to believe that we're only 1 or 2 good players from having a Chamions League level squad. In which case, I would take a Kone for the right money, but you're right, players, strikers especially, can get hyped up far too quickly when it's usually the case that they were playing beyond their ability in the first place.

But a 20 goal a season man is exactly what we need though. We have to be clever with our transfers, we have a number of players who are nearing the end of their careers and they need replacing, i think big money uk based signings(such as Mcarthy and the money he would likely command) are going to be out of the question imo.

Unless we suddenly have a war chest for the new manager

Fellaini was an elbowing, 15 yellow cards a season player until Moyes calmed him down and he got his head on straight.

Fellaini is still is a 15 yellow card a season player and he is still an elbowing player he quite often elbows players whilst challenging for the ball or even holding it up not much has changed there.

If Fellaini is sold I would try and convince Christian Eriksen to come here as a replacement. Market value 14 mil, scored 10 in 33 games last season. Still leaves about 10 mil from the Felli money to invest in another player. Invest that in Scott Sinclair and a goalkeeper and Bob's your uncle.

Edited by Peter H