IGNORED

Positions that need reinforcement

I made a fleximatrix, but for some reason, tables don't come across too well when the topic is posted.

Hypothesis: EFC sells Fellaini and Heitinga.

Most vulnerable positions:

• Central defense: Jagielka and Distin are the only options at this moment who we can depend on. That is 2 players for 2 positions. Is Duffy ready? Will Distin keep it up? This position ought to be a priority this summer when looking for reinforcements.
  • Defensive & box-to box midfield: Fellaini (and Heitinga) is leaving, that leaves Gibson and Hitz for the job, with only Osman as a possible back-up. Again: 2 options for 2 positions. Are these players, especially Hitz, good enough to play all the time all season long? What if there are injuries?

Other positions to take into consideration:

• Left back: First thing that comes to mind is EFC's dependance on Baines. Is Oviedo a realistic alternative? Time will tell, but for the moment it doesn't really look that way. Left back is quite vulnerable. Should EFC perhaps loan out Oviedo and attract a new alternative?
  • Mid/attacking wings: Mirallas and Pienaar are usually used for this task. They're the only two players that are available for the wings, as Coleman will probably be used as a right back. It also leaves out the option to use Pienaar as a central attacking mid. It will also depend a bit on the system the manager chooses to play, but reinforcements may be needed.

I didn't consider the goalkeepers. I think it's relatively alright in that position. So you guys think these are the 2, 3 or 4 positions EFC should focus on for reinforcements this summer?

(Yeah I do this stuff for fun in my spare time.)

Edited by MikeO

No need to worry because by the rumours in the papers today if we are getting Martinez then we are getting half the Wigan squad as well. Kone 6.5 million. Alcaraz - free agent. McCarthey, Maloney and that winger who got released by Everton because he wasn't good enough. I know it winny wanny but it does make me laugh.

------------------------

I would like to see Duffy step up to the plate. Martinez will be the person who gives him a chance more. I would like to see a decent CB but can't see us buying one for under 10 million. If we want a person who is going to fit in the EPL straight away it will probably cost 10mil or more.

I would like to see McCarthey from Wigan to replace the big man tbh, good passer but he isn't the strongest going. If he does go then I would like to see us go for Fer again as well. I have watched Fer a couple of times and he is strong, good on the ball and would give defenders a tough time. Just his touch sometimes lets him down.

Edited by bluenosetoffee

For me the top priorities at the moment are 1. striker and 2. right wing. A top striker can be responsible for 10 extra points on his own and should be the main priority. We need another winger, because like you say, Pienaar and Mirallas are the only real options. I would basically like a left-footed Mirallas who could start on the right in his first season.

If we still have money after getting a winger and striker, a deep-lying playmaker in the mould of Schweinsteiger would be welcome as I don't think we can trust Gibson to remain injury-free for an entire season. McCarthy from Wigan would do for me, but he might be expensive.

If Heitinga leaves, get another centre back, preferably someone strong, fast and left-footed, basically a younger Distin. If Fellaini leaves, get an athletic, agile, holding midfielder. If they don't, these are secondary needs that don't necessarily need to be adressed this summer.

Edited by Steve_E

I don't see why we wouldn't trust Oviedo to be Baines' backup btw. It's why Moyes brought him in, he wasn't supposed to displace Baines right away. He's been able to adjust, got some game time out of position (though not enough imo, but I remember he played well on the left wing against Norwich). If Baines goes down injured, he'll play. I'm pretty sure that's not a position where we'll be looking to strenghten.

I don't think CB is our real weakness.

We need CM - strong, good passer and good touch. Unfortunately a player like this will cost us 10-15mil unless our scouts are amazing and find a bargain.

ST - Jelavic just isn't stepping up to the plate and Anichebe is not consistent against top defenders. Weaker teams like QPR, Villa, Sunderland he is untouchable at times. Against the like of united, city, chelsea he looks rubbish.

So I would like us to buy a new CM and a new ST in this transfer market.

People may disagree with me, but I'm not sure that Jelavic has been given enough of a chance this season. He wasn't up to last season's standards at the beginning of the season, so he was rested/put on the bench in place of Anichebe. I might be wrong but he wasn't given a decent run of games after that at all, just subbed a few times but I can't remember the last time he played 2 or 3 full games back to back. I know it's hard to play someone that's out of form but surely that's the only way he'll get his confidence back?

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how all of our players react to a new system/style. I don't think we can look to sell on any of our existing players including Jelavic until the Jan window. I think this summer window will just be a case of replacing any players that end up being poached by other teams.

J – Jelavic Decline

The decline of last season’s chief marksman has been one of the most discussed subjects of the season. The below table shows his match data from last season and this. The data shows us that 1) he has as many shots per game and 2) he did as much graft outside the box as he did last season, and actually spent more time on the ball in the opposition penalty box – and less time ‘working the channels’ outside the box – this season than last.

jela.png?w=600&h=124

For me the issue is more about confidence. It’s also worth noting that in the last 10 games he started up front without Fellaini this season he has also failed to find the target, so the argument it’s the role of the Belgian is flawed for me.

(source: http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/everton-a-z-season-deconstruction-1213/)

I wouldn't be bothered if we sold him if we can recover our investment. If we play one striker, we basically need 3 of them in the squad, right? I'd be fine with Anichebe number 2, Vellios number 3 and a new number 1 striker coming in. A new number 1, Anichebe and Jelavic at Everton and Vellios out on loan would be ideal though.

A new PR - looks like Paul Tyrell is in hot water for trying to show Ian Ross how to truly get yourself out of a job...

I honestly think that they have handled the crisis in a fairly good way. They have backed down on the badge, admitted that they went about everything wrong and fixed the situation.

Remember, for every disgrunted fan might lie 2 happy fans that actually liked the new crest. They might not be as loud as the angry mob though.

J – Jelavic Decline

The decline of last season’s chief marksman has been one of the most discussed subjects of the season. The below table shows his match data from last season and this. The data shows us that 1) he has as many shots per game and 2) he did as much graft outside the box as he did last season, and actually spent more time on the ball in the opposition penalty box – and less time ‘working the channels’ outside the box – this season than last.

jela.png?w=600&h=124

For me the issue is more about confidence. It’s also worth noting that in the last 10 games he started up front without Fellaini this season he has also failed to find the target, so the argument it’s the role of the Belgian is flawed for me.

(source: http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/everton-a-z-season-deconstruction-1213/)

I wouldn't be bothered if we sold him if we can recover our investment. If we play one striker, we basically need 3 of them in the squad, right? I'd be fine with Anichebe number 2, Vellios number 3 and a new number 1 striker coming in. A new number 1, Anichebe and Jelavic at Everton and Vellios out on loan would be ideal though.

Back to your earlier post I agree with the positions you highlight.

With Jelavic, these are some interesting stats. I dont think has brought others (and therefore himself) into the game as much this season and that's where the problem lies. I do think a striker is a priority and while I would get rid of Vic in the other thread (based on his potential return compared to actual worth at the moment) I would agree that one of them should be moved on, especially if we are able to recoup Jela's fee, although Im not convinced that we would be able to.

Can I cut out discussion and just name Lescott, McCarthy, McManaman and Lukaku?

I think them four are all possible, the extra tv money should cover the two Wigan lads, Lescott would only be a couple of million and Lukaku on loan, sell no one.

I dont think we would have the funds for all of them. Lescott would fit the bill but he isnt young anymore and it would be price (and wage) dependent.

McCarthy is going to cost a lot of money I think, but as he showed for Ireland yesterday he is a top player.

I think there will be better players than McManaman available for the likely price and Lukaku is just a big fat yes :P

I dont think we would have the funds for all of them. Lescott would fit the bill but he isnt young anymore and it would be price (and wage) dependent.

McCarthy is going to cost a lot of money I think, but as he showed for Ireland yesterday he is a top player.

I think there will be better players than McManaman available for the likely price and Lukaku is just a big fat yes :P

£12m i'd go for (half the fellaini money for a player who whilst not as imposing physically can give more in terms of mobility, discipline, tempo)

I'd agree with most that we need a centre back.

If we get Martinez and he goes with a similar formation to what he has previously done then we could be fielding 3 centre backs with coleman and baines playing as attacking wing backs. This would mean really that we'd probably need 2 centre back to give the extra man and cover.

hopefully Duffy can prove he is good enough to at least provide cover from the bench next season.

A Striker would be good unless our new man can get goals out of Jelavic again.

I certainly wouldn't be against us showing some interest in another Belgian...Benteke who has looked very good for Villa.

If Fellaini leaves then we will also need a central midfield player.

I'd agree with most that we need a centre back.

If we get Martinez and he goes with a similar formation to what he has previously done then we could be fielding 3 centre backs with coleman and baines playing as attacking wing backs. This would mean really that we'd probably need 2 centre back to give the extra man and cover.

hopefully Duffy can prove he is good enough to at least provide cover from the bench next season.

A Striker would be good unless our new man can get goals out of Jelavic again.

I certainly wouldn't be against us showing some interest in another Belgian...Benteke who has looked very good for Villa.

If Fellaini leaves then we will also need a central midfield player.

He's likely out of our price range though. We should mainly be looking for players who haven't proven themselves in the Prem yet. Hopefully our scouts have already identified "the next Benteke".

Don't really want Lescott back to be honest. He's 30 now I believe. Would prefer a quality 23/24 year old left footed centre back from abroad. Someone who's comofortable on the ball. Surely there's a few out there. I've always like Victor Ogbonna. Seems composed and a class act. Probably out of our price range though. Would take Lukaku any day along with Atsu on the wing. One quality playmaker and that would be hell of a team.

Don't really want Lescott back to be honest. He's 30 now I believe. Would prefer a quality 23/24 year old left footed centre back from abroad. Someone who's comofortable on the ball. Surely there's a few out there. I've always like Victor Ogbonna. Seems composed and a class act. Probably out of our price range though. Would take Lukaku any day along with Atsu on the wing. One quality playmaker and that would be hell of a team.

I understand wanting a young left footed centre half, but why does it matter if he's from abroad or not?

Doesn't really but the british market is an absolute rip off. You'll end up paying up to 10 million for mediocre players who play week in week out for their club. The foreign market is much cheaper and you'll end up paying much less for a much better player in my opinion.