IGNORED

Valencia

Louis

Oviedo was really sharp. Coleman had another good game. Robles, on the whole, was good.

On the other hand, Barkley was awful. Once again, Fellaini was a joke. Anichebe and Jelavic did little.

From about 65 minutes to 80 minutes, we had a good spell, with good possession and some excellent counter attacks. Mirallas can be very quick, but he doesn't look up and he spoiled a couple of the break-aways.

This was not such a good performance, but the motivation probably wasn't there.

Really disappointing performance! Deulofeu, barkley and gibson in particular were very disappointing. I would have expected a midfield with gibbo and felliani to be watertight, but valencia seemed to have acres of space to push forward into.

After that passage of play between oviedo and naismith in the first half which resulted in naisy forcing a really smart save, they showed a replay of barkley and victor bombimg forward to try and keep up with the play and Deulofeu was literally just strolling behind. After the save the ball fell harmlessly towards an unmaned far post, where ideally you'd want your right winger to pushing up into. infuriating! I also didn't like the way he was sticking so vehemently to his touchline, alot of our best play seems to happen when the wideman cut inside opening space for baines and coleman. I'd be happy with a young, first gamer having an off night, but the effort has to be there! The thought of him and barkley playing together in the same defensive unit is a bit scary.

Talking of scary, Robles distribtion..! I can see it being like in under 7s, when you have a defender taking the goal kicks.

Positives were definitely naismith, ovideo and the spark mirallas provided (really think he can have a balesque breakout season)! Would any of you consider trying baines in front of oviedo?? Or is it don't fix it if it ain't broke?

and own up, which one of your is stu from bootle watching the game with his cats?

Edited by SmashedCrab

Just seen the game (thanks, Av). Disappointed in Gibson in particular. He was our best player against Austria, Accrington and Blackburn and possibly our worst in the States. Deulofeu will have to work on either his engine or his mentality, because he's gonna have to defend a lot more than he was either capable of or willing to do. Naismith, Oviedo and Anichebe done well. Barkley grew in the game. The rest of them were average.

We were very frustrating in attack. Very little movement and the 3 biggest opportunities we did get didn't even result in a shot because of poor decision making. There was the Barkley and Deulofeu vs 2 defenders where Barkley just kept waiting for someone to pop up on the left while he should have just passed it to Deulofeu. There was the 4 vs 1 with Mirallas where he couldn't pick anyone out. Then there was Fellaini's chance where he refused to go to his left foot and walked straight into traffic.

Apologies.

Once a player has played for a club for 10 years without leaving the club he plays for usually arranges a special match to celebrate him.

Used to be (when players were paid much less) that player got to keep the gate receipts to help him in retirement; also used to be other fund raising events....dinners etc.

Just watched the first half. Some of you are right pessimistic bastards! Im guessing the 2nd half is going to get much worse because I thought we were comfortably the best team.

Personally, Felli has been the best player on the pitch so far. Yes he is a little bit lazy in patches but he is the one always looking to pick the ball up, make a run and try to get people on the ball.

Barkley has been bright, just not making the right decisions but that will come.

Oviedo and Naismith have been a handful down their wing and Stones has done very well too.

Both CB's look like they have been working together a lot in the last couple of days because they look much more like a partnership.

Gibson has been poor, he really hasnt got into the game.

Deulofue looks an interesting character to say the least. Im hoping he is just having teething problems.

Vic started off fairly anonymously but he improved as he started working harder.

Apologies.

Once a player has played for a club for 10 years without leaving the club he plays for usually arranges a special match to celebrate him. I was just wondering whether that had happened with Albelda.

Well at the moment they haven't played any match, but I think that they'll do. He's a legend of Valencia and the last player of the golden age (1999-2004, 2 Uefa Champions League runner ups, 2 spanish leagues, 1 UEFA and 1 supercup of Europe) that was still playing in Valencia.. He have played 15 seasons with us (and 3 on loan to Villareal).. For me is simply a idol, a hero, I get excited when I talk about him, because this make me remember what we have been and what we are now :(

He deserve a match for celebrate him in Mestalla

Edited by miquel

Used to be (when players were paid much less) that player got to keep the gate receipts to help him in retirement; also used to be other fund raising events....dinners etc.

I think that after 18 seasons under contract with Valencia he have enough money for live the rest of his life without concerns

Even second half we did ok. Intensity was down and we again conceded a lazy goal (as a result of a counter attack) but plenty to take from the performance.

For 70 mins it was a game we just about had the edge on and we created enough good chances and opportunities to win the game. Sadly we really did make some poor decisions, but that will come especially as the players become more aware of what is happening around them which Im sure Martinez is working on all the time.

The biggest positive for me is that we defended a lot better as a team. We were more compact, there was less space between the back four and whilst Valencia weren't playing with playing at the highest tempo is was still equal to your average Premier League game.

I have read it was really high humidity on the pitch, so some tired and lathargic performances should maybe be expected from both teams, especially after the recent travelling around.

Naismith and Oviedo doing well is a real bonus this preseason. Even Naismith himself said he was gash last season. He might be like a new signing.

I was not expecting Deulofue to be doing great things for us this season - he is only a kid and will be no more than an impact sub, who may chip in with the odd cameo or goal from nowhere. If we have a player that flops this year then best it's Deulofue as he's only on loan in anycase. I think a lot of people are a bit over expectant of what this lad is going to do in anycase.

All in all a decent preseaon tournament - played against some quality opposition, took the games to them at times and didn't look out of our depth, even with squad players on the pitch rather than our best 11. Nobody played us off the park.