IGNORED

Gareth Barry

@BettingOfficial: Gareth Barry has been cut from 40/1 to 1/3 to sign for Everton after rumours a loan deal has been agreed --> http://t.co/VMV2KPLhAl

I was going to suggest that he could be a really important signing (stop gap) with the new system employing 2 deeper midfielders - an area where we are very short in numbers.

A big yes from me, many will disagree but exactly what we need in my opinion.

Thing is, who would people prefer in the deep cm role - Osman, Heitinga or Barry?

I want us to get James McCarthy but he's going to cost serious £££ which we may not have without selling. If we could turn back time I'd have loved Ashley Westwood, think he's been excellent in the deeper role for Villa.

The way I see it is if we have 2 from Felli, Gibson and Barry - 3 experienced premiership Cm's then it give Barkely more game time and more freedom playing in front of them when he does.

We need midfield depth. I don't know what you guys were expecting, frankly.

Someone who has the attributes we're looking for rather than the complete opposite?

I'm all for boosting the numbers but when that player isn't who you need then what's the point in getting them in just for the sake of it?

Someone who has the attributes we're looking for rather than the complete opposite?

I'm all for boosting the numbers but when that player isn't who you need then what's the point in getting them in just for the sake of it?

I'm hardly in love with Barry but I don't really see how he is the "opposite" of what we need. Fellaini and Gibson are sure to miss games due to suspension/injury/international duty. When that does happen we're going to need a physical, defensive midfielder. I don't like shoehorning Heitinga into that role. Barry is a competent replacement.

We need midfield depth. I don't know what you guys were expecting, frankly.

He has not signed so I've not expected anything its a rumour!

How much of Barry have you actually seen? Have you only watched Him playing for City with some of Europe's best around him and for the most part carrying Him?

He has not signed so I've not expected anything its a rumour!

How much of Barry have you actually seen? Have you only watched Him playing for City with some of Europe's best around him and for the most part carrying Him?

Yes. I'm not going to claim to be the expert on Gareth Barry so I welcome all opinions. But I don't see what people were expecting given the reality of our financial situation. We have to get creative. Barry is not going to set the world on fire but he serves as a competent rotation option, I would think. Unless Fellaini is leaving I'm not seeing the massive need for a big-time addition centrally.

I'm hardly in love with Barry but I don't really see how he is the "opposite" of what we need. Fellaini and Gibson are sure to miss games due to suspension/injury/international duty. When that does happen we're going to need a physical, defensive midfielder. I don't like shoehorning Heitinga into that role. Barry is a competent replacement.

Like I said before; we need a mobile and athletic midfielder...

Like I said before; we need a mobile and athletic midfielder...

Sure. And how many of those are out there that are capable of playing the defensive side of the game AND would be cheap? If we had a bunch of money to throw around then sure. But we don't. Unless I see names of these athletic, mobile, responsible midfielders whom teams are trying to cut ties with cheap I'm not going to criticize the (potential) Barry addition.

Sure. And how many of those are out there that are capable of playing the defensive side of the game AND would be cheap? If we had a bunch of money to throw around then sure. But we don't. Unless I see names of these athletic, mobile, responsible midfielders whom teams are trying to cut ties with cheap I'm not going to criticize the (potential) Barry addition.

So you wait until a player becomes available that fits the parameters you need. You don't just buy (or loan in this case) for the sake of bringing numbers in.

Like you said, we don't have the money to splash, so why spend a penny of it on someone that isn't what we need?

No, I'd rather wait and get no one.

Martinez said he wouldn't sign players for the sake of it and I'm hoping he sticks to that.

@BettingOfficial: Gareth Barry has been cut from 40/1 to 1/3 to sign for Everton after rumours a loan deal has been agreed --> http://t.co/VMV2KPLhAl

I was going to suggest that he could be a really important signing (stop gap) with the new system employing 2 deeper midfielders - an area where we are very short in numbers.

A big yes from me, many will disagree but exactly what we need in my opinion.

You should be banned from this forum and implicated in the Jimmy Saville scandal for posting this!

So you wait until a player becomes available that fits the parameters you need. You don't just buy (or loan in this case) for the sake of bringing numbers in.

Like you said, we don't have the money to splash, so why spend a penny of it on someone that isn't what we need?

No, I'd rather wait and get no one.

Martinez said he wouldn't sign players for the sake of it and I'm hoping he sticks to that.

I'm still not understanding how he isn't "what we need." Maybe he's not the ideal player, but - again - what happens when Fellaini and/or Gibson is unavailable?

I'd have him. I think the holding midfield role is the role we need to strengthen most. We only have Gibson for that position at the moment. Barry might even be able to displace him. It's someone who was a regular starter for City against someone who could not get a game for United. I don't care about his age either as it's a loan move. I think it's likely we have no more money left to make any permanent signings and are now looking in the loan market, I think Barry's about as good as you're gonna get in that area (if he's even available that is). As it's a loan, his age doesn't matter either. It's only for a season.

Assuming we're playing a double pivot in midfield, we'd have Barry and Gibson for the holding role. Fellaini (the mobile and athletic midfielder) or Osman (a more clever player who will play between the lines and link up play on a good day) for the role next to them. Barkley or Naismith or Pienaar for the role in the hole.