IGNORED

Deadline Day

rubecula

Based on the experience of the first three games, I would say not. He lacks the power, skill, and ball control to play as an out-and-out forward. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the team from last season, but from what I see this guy is something of a liability. If he's proved to be valuable in the past, he needs to reclaim that form on the practice field. The number of opportunities he's wasted so far this season is scary. (And please forgive my bluntness.)

It's funny because if you'd been watching him last season you'd probably regard these as his three main qualities :lol: (albeit he covers the speed side of power, rather than strength).

Regarding Mirallas as an out-and-out foward I'd say for a usual lone striker role that he's far too weak for such a position (i.e. to hold up the ball and provide an aerial threat for crosses and long balls). However, in a Martinez possession based system I reckon he could work rather well. The real issue that'll stop it from happening this season is our complete lack of wingers. We're even limited in the makeshift winger department :P

Based on the experience of the first three games, I would say not. He lacks the power, skill, and ball control to play as an out-and-out forward. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the team from last season, but from what I see this guy is something of a liability. If he's proved to be valuable in the past, he needs to reclaim that form on the practice field. The number of opportunities he's wasted so far this season is scary. (And please forgive my bluntness.)

Id put that down to a sticky patch, because last season he was very impressive.

Dont think he can play the loan striker role though.

Well the few times I've seen him play in that role where his best games that I've seen him play.

Which games incidentally? I agree in principle because that's the role he had at Olympiakos where he was top scorer the season before we got him, if memory serves. I understand he's not the typical midfielder in terms of how he plays his game and what his attributes are, but he's been playing as an RM/RW for us and that's where his future lies for us, at least for this season given our striking options and our lack of width.

I think Mirallas will be a great RW eventually but he needs to work on his consistency. The premier league was a step up and he got injured for chunks of last season, but the times I saw him cut inside off the right and use his skill he can be very effective out there. He could be a lone striker for us in the end, but we'd need someone as good or better on the flank to compensate. Plus I see the Coleman/Mirallas partnership developing the more they play together. If we could get them to a level where they can produce what Baines/Pienaar do on their best day, they could tear defenses apart.

He did play on rare occasions as a CF or part of a striking duo for Belgium. I recalled he ripped the French defense apart once.

He used to play as part of a striking duo with the much stronger Moussa Dembélé long ago when we still primarily played on the counter attack. Neither of them ripped any defenses apart during that time, apart from one good game against Serbia once.

He has also played twice against France. Both were 0-0 draws with very few chances for both teams where he came on after 30 minutes and after 20 minutes (on the wing this time) so their wasn't much shredding through defenses in those games either.

Edited by Steve_E

He used to play as part of a striking duo with the much stronger Moussa Dembélé long ago when we still primarily played on the counter attack. Neither of them ripped any defenses apart during that time, apart from one good game against Serbia once.

He has also played twice against France. Both were 0-0 draws with very few chances for both teams where he came on after 30 minutes and after 20 minutes (on the wing this time) so their wasn't much shredding through defenses in those games either.

I strongly disagree. During the first game against France he created a few chances when he came on and the French defense couldn't cope with him. Best belgian player, though in a substitute role.

Edited by Mirallas

According to Danny Higginbotham, Everton did the best business in the transfer window.

What a tosser the interviewer is - pointing out that Danny Higginbotham and Gareth Bale once played together, and now Bale plays for Real Madrid whereas Higginbotham plays for lowly Chester. I wouldn't have been surprised to see his guest walk off the programme!

Maybe not the best business out of all our competitors and everyone else involved at the time in question, but the fact that most of our supporters were mighty pleased with the end product speaks for itself. Got a very good price for Fellaini in the end, even Anichebe wasn't too bad, and we brought in some other players that people speak highly of, and it appears there is tangible anticipation for the coming weeks and all said, Martinez could well be putting together a very decent line up. Ok we may have missed out on names we really wanted but that is applicable to all clubs that were involved. I'd just like to see them all involved at one point and playing as a collective unit on a regular basis and see where it takes us.