IGNORED

Deadline Day

rubecula

Fernando would have been the icing on the cake it what has turned out a rollercoaster, in what in the end was a decent transfer window for us.

Martinez's first transfer window has been a sucess in my opition -

Fellini and Anichebe out - for up to £33.5M

Joel, Alcaraz, Kone, Delofeau, Barry, McCathy and Lukaku in for less than £20M.

around £10M to £15M spend in strengthing in January (we hope)

OK a fair few loans, but squad looks a look a lot stronger.

I've had enough now...Im off to bed...and Im taking my likes with me.

Im gonna line each 'like' up and give them a shot up the jaffa...helps me sleep.

What did he just say ?

All said, and in the simplest terms - little sorry to see Fellaini depart, although we got a reasonable price for him. Baines remained unmolested, we got Barry in, who some will say is a good name to have, don't know too much about the McCarthy player, or even Lukaku, but the general consensus would appear they're exciting players but will wait until they all take to the field to see what they can produce. I think the best transfer action of the summer for Everton Football Club was Moyes leaving for Manchester United above all else. Feel right now, that was the best course of action or business well done.

Having had time to sit back and reflect on the day's deals, I think we came out of this really well. Where did we have need? Midfield, with the departure of Fellaini and limited options for Martinez' style of play, and attack, with talented forwards who are struggling with their confidence right now. Who did we bring in? McCarthy knows the Martinez style of play really well, is a talented young midfielder, and will no doubt do a sterling job. Barry, while not my favourite, at least brings a wealth of high-level and international experience and a style quite compatible with the RM approach. And we have Lukaku, with almost 20 goals last season and a lot to prove. His energy and goal-scoring abilities may just turn around our existing strikers. I can't wait to see Lukaku and Kone pair up-front, for example.

Plus, we kept Leighton Baines, who should be rewarded with an improved contract deal. And we made 20m that, potentially, can be spent in a less rushed manner during the January transfer window. Net result for this summer? Seven new faces: Two new strikers with many goals between them last season, one of Barcelona's brightest young talents, one of the most talented young mid-fielders in the English leagues, an experienced England international player, a solid squad defender whom RM trusts, and a huge improvement in second-string goalie to keep Howard on his toes. Of these, four have played the RM system before and a fifth, Deulofeu, is also at home with this style. More than that, by taking an early chance with home-grown youngsters, we can add Barkley and Stones to the list of new faces. At this point, we can safely transition a couple of veteran players out of the first team. And we have genuine competition, and cover for injuries, for every position on the field.

How will we start now? There are so many options, but I'm sure RM will quickly move away from his careful Moyes-like start to the season. With a core of 15-16 worthy starters, team selection need not be the same week-in/week-out but can change depending on the strengths and weaknesses of our opponents. With added fluidity, we can switch between 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 3-4-3, and more - an option that RM really values and will use to great effect.

Despite starting the season with three draws, and with Lukaku unable to start against Chelsea, this could become quite an exciting season. I'm really looking forward to it.

Fernando would have been the icing on the cake it what has turned out a rollercoaster, in what in the end was a decent transfer window for us.

Martinez's first transfer window has been a sucess in my opition -

Fellini and Anichebe out - for up to £33.5M

Joel, Alcaraz, Kone, Delofeau, Barry, McCathy and Lukaku in for less than £20M.

around £10M to £15M spend in strengthing in January (we hope)

OK a fair few loans, but squad looks a look a lot stronger.

Can I add something to the maths. If McCarthy was "always" coming and never dependent on the Felli deal, thats at least 10m, right?

10 + 27.5 + 6 = 43.5m total (33.5m in) the rest coming from Felli and that other whining lump, Vic.

Then money spent - going to estimate 4m for the 2 additional loan deals and then the 2m is for Martinez and his staff, which will still come out of our budget one way or another. McCarthy, Kone and Robles bringing in the other fees...

13 + 6 + 2.5 + 2 + 4m = 27m total

Leaves us with 16.5m by my estimations for January, but I only expect to see 10m and honestly, Im ok with that as part of any business is paying off debt. I think Louis posted a while ago that we have a handful of "small" loans, would be good to get rid of them if we can. Anyway, we've strengthened the squad a fair bit, added some real depth with solid (if unspectacular) permanent deals, and 2 cracking loan deals (+ Barry, which is a logical loan deal with a potential free transfer at the end).

If the 10m wasnt there for McCarthy, then it leaves us with 6m to bring in 1-2 players. Either way, January will be the same stress again.

Then theres arguably the best deal - Baines is staying. I think a large part of that is down to him, so Leighton if youre reading this, a big thank you!

Overall then, it looks quite good, certainly our best in my memory. Much more pleasant situation to wake up to. I was expecting TT genocide...

Can I add something to the maths. If McCarthy was "always" coming and never dependent on the Felli deal, thats at least 10m, right?

10 + 27.5 + 6 = 43.5m total (33.5m in) the rest coming from Felli and that other whining lump, Vic.

Then money spent - going to estimate 4m for the 2 additional loan deals and then the 2m is for Martinez and his staff, which will still come out of our budget one way or another. McCarthy, Kone and Robles bringing in the other fees...

13 + 6 + 2.5 + 2 + 4m = 27m total

Leaves us with 16.5m by my estimations for January, but I only expect to see 10m and honestly, Im ok with that as part of any business is paying off debt. I think Louis posted a while ago that we have a handful of "small" loans, would be good to get rid of them if we can. Anyway, we've strengthened the squad a fair bit, added some real depth with solid (if unspectacular) permanent deals, and 2 cracking loan deals (+ Barry, which is a logical loan deal with a potential free transfer at the end).

If the 10m wasnt there for McCarthy, then it leaves us with 6m to bring in 1-2 players. Either way, January will be the same stress again.

Then theres arguably the best deal - Baines is staying. I think a large part of that is down to him, so Leighton if youre reading this, a big thank you!

Overall then, it looks quite good, certainly our best in my memory. Much more pleasant situation to wake up to. I was expecting TT genocide...

I'm not sure whether we would strengthen in January, or wait until next summer when we'll possibly need to replace Deulofeu, Lukaku and Barry (unless they stay longer!).

All hypothetical obviously.

Edited by MatthewT

We offered 6 mil now for McCarthy and the rest on the drip. (before we sold Fellaini) so you can only count that money.

27 for Felli

4-5 for Ani (rising to 6) btw, think he will do really well for WBA

6 mil that we seemed to have for McCarthy before the felli deal

Thats 37-38 mil

Money spent:

13 mil on McCarthy

4 ish on Lukaku? (Fee and wages)

4 ish on Barry? (Wages)

Should leave quite a substantial wad of cash for jan window. BK did promise that any money recieved for any players would be available for transfers.

Btw, really have no idea over the cost for Lukaku and Barry so dont shoot me.

Edited by Peter H

We offered 6 mil now for McCarthy and the rest on the drip. (before we sold Fellaini) so you can only count that money.

27 for Felli

4-5 for Ani (rising to 6) btw, think he will do really well for WBA

6 mil that we seemed to have for McCarthy before the felli deal

Thats 37-38 mil

Money spent:

13 mil on McCarthy

4 ish on Lukaku? (Fee and wages)

4 ish on Barry? (Wages)

Should leave quite a substantial wad of cash for jan window. BK did promise that any money recieved for any players would be available for transfers.

Btw, really have no idea over the cost for Lukaku and Barry so dont shoot me.

in this window ;)

disagree about only counting the initial fees into the calculations though, at the end of the day we have to pay the full amount. Also dont understand why you'd include wages only for the 2 loanees, all newcomers will have a wage that impacts the transfer budget.

Fellis 70k a week should cover McCarthy and Lukaku, Barry is likely to be a big strain, depending on how much we are contributing.

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Baines

Barry/Gibson McCarthy

Pienaar/Jerry Barkley Mirallas

Lukaku

Have to say i am verry happy with the potential of our squad after last night.

At one moment i was going to be upset and angry thinking we had left it to late and were getting no-one.

30 minutes later rumours were back and it looked back on. 15 minutes later we had lost Lukaku to WBA, 15 minutes later it was a done deal!

WoW gotta say my head was spinnning last night and even when i eventually laid down i couldnt sleep for hours.

Then woke up this morning, turned SSN on and recapped on last night.

WHY DO WE DO THIS?

Guys remember we are still in debt and that is just as important than buying new players to our future.

If BK is the weak fool a lot of you make him out to be, then he will go along with you and let RM have all that remains of the kitty for January.

If he is whoever a half decent chairman then surely he will use some of that cash to pay off an amount of our debt.

As you all know you dont lend money from banks for free and even getting the owed money down by a small amount would have a big deal on interest.

I am not saying that all of the money should go just that by banding around figures we are going to create a few more board haters when come January we may not have what we thought in the pot.

BK stayed strong last night and got a good price for Felli, paid less than the asking price for McCarthy and dug his feet in over Baines and kept the best left back in the premier league. Overall i think we probably slept well last night.

First post from a West Brom fan here, well done on signing Lukaku, as you know, you have just signed a beast of a player, but he is also a really good bloke, very respectful and genuine, you will be as impressed with his attitude as his ability, wish we could have got him back.

What are your opinions on Victor Anichebe, obviously he is not that prolific but will he come good with a change of scene, what are his injury issues?

Edited by Zolton

First post from a West Brom fan here, well done on signing Lukaku, as you know, you have just signed a beast of a player, but he is also a really good bloke, very respectful and genuine, you will be as impressed with his attitude as his ability, wish we could have got him back.

What are your opinions on Victor Anichebe, obviously he is not that prolific but will he come good with a change of scene, what are his injury issues?

Hi Zolton, welcome to the forum.

on Lukaku, so excited and surprised that we managed to get him. Hopefully he will be the player we need to put the ball in the back of the net.

on Vic, we've robbed you of 6m. Hes lazy, injury prone, falls over far too easy for a big guy and acts like a spoiled little bitch when he doesnt get his way. I feel for you guys, because I know how it feels to watch him. Brilliant business for us though ;)

Good luck with the season, hope Clarke gets you playing well again.

Phil McNulty....

"In among the other transfer events, the other big deadline day winners were Everton.

As important as any incomings was keeping their outstanding left-back Baines, who is now likely to be rewarded for his loyalty and complete professionalism throughout United's interest with a lucrative new contract.

They may have lost Fellaini but the loan signing of Romelu Lukaku will delight their supporters. The 20-year-old Belgian was outstanding on loan at West Bromwich Albion last season and his signature is a real coup for new Everton manager Roberto Martinez and Kenwright.

Kenwright's close relationship with Lukaku's representatives helped swing the deal in Everton's favour and left the Baggies bitterly disappointed as they hoped to bring him back to The Hawthorns. He is often the target for criticism at Everton so it is only right he receives credit for his part here.

Wigan's James McCarthy is young midfield player rich in promise while Gareth Barry, on loan from Manchester City, provides a counterpoint of experience."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23939901

Hmm, not great then, I believe its £3million rising to £5millioin on appearances and add ons, maybe a change of scene will do him good, hopefully!

Lukaku is at his best on the counter attack, not always as good in a crowded area as his first touch can be a bit dodgy, you will love watching him though, I really enjoyed his time with us, I imagine you paid a fair bit to get him, probably more than the £4million wages and fee quoted.

Hmm, not great then, I believe its £3million rising to £5millioin on appearances and add ons, maybe a change of scene will do him good, hopefully!

Vic's not as bad as Matt's made out imo; when he's in the mood he can be a real handful.....he's just not in the mood often enough. Potentially a very useful squad member I think, maybe Steve Clarke can get the best from him. Moyes couldn't.

Vic's not as bad as Matt's made out imo; when he's in the mood he can be a real handful.....he's just not in the mood often enough. Potentially a very useful squad member I think, maybe Steve Clarke can get the best from him. Moyes couldn't.

he is that bad, Mike. apart from the last couple of months of last season, hes been useless and petulant for years.

Phil McNulty....

"In among the other transfer events, the other big deadline day winners were Everton.

As important as any incomings was keeping their outstanding left-back Baines, who is now likely to be rewarded for his loyalty and complete professionalism throughout United's interest with a lucrative new contract.

They may have lost Fellaini but the loan signing of Romelu Lukaku will delight their supporters. The 20-year-old Belgian was outstanding on loan at West Bromwich Albion last season and his signature is a real coup for new Everton manager Roberto Martinez and Kenwright.

Kenwright's close relationship with Lukaku's representatives helped swing the deal in Everton's favour and left the Baggies bitterly disappointed as they hoped to bring him back to The Hawthorns. He is often the target for criticism at Everton so it is only right he receives credit for his part here.

Wigan's James McCarthy is young midfield player rich in promise while Gareth Barry, on loan from Manchester City, provides a counterpoint of experience."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23939901

Indeed he does, but looking at the executionersbong blog, 4m for a season long loan?!

Whilst I agree with some of the vic bashing i did think he had made improvements last year. i'm still convinced he has the aptitude but is let down by his attitude. i agree that a change of scenery may be just what he needs - a little less pressure perhaps as I guess i'm not alone in having had high hopes a few years ago for him. If he could stay fit and get a run of games then he could be half decent and about half the player Lukaku is :jump for joy:

If only we could have persuaded the baggies to take Naismith as well

Hi Zolton.

I think moving to WBA is a great move for Vic and wish him the best for the future.

Vic can be a real handful on his day. if you can motivate him and thats the key. When he is happy he can be almost unplayable.

If he stays on his feet he is a very strong lad and can brush players of with ease. Thats if you can get him to stay on his feet.

i actually feel that he is going to well for you and it will be a succesful move.

Lukaku is at his best on the counter attack, not always as good in a crowded area as his first touch can be a bit dodgy, you will love watching him though, I really enjoyed his time with us, I imagine you paid a fair bit to get him, probably more than the £4million wages and fee quoted.

Big Vic will do well for you. He is brilliant at sucking the ball up, holding on to it to allow others to join the attack. He can turn tightly and has an ok shot. You wont get 17 goals in 20 games but perhaps a solid 8-10 goals if you start him.

He will however sulk on the pitch and look like a wet wash cloth every now and then. Big trembling lip when he feels hard done by.

He is miles better than Rosenberg

Big Vic will do well for you. He is brilliant at sucking the ball up, holding on to it to allow others to join the attack. He can turn tightly and has an ok shot. You wont get 17 goals in 20 games but perhaps a solid 8-10 goals if you start him.

He will however sulk on the pitch and look like a wet wash cloth every now and then. Big trembling lip when he feels hard done by.

He is miles better than Rosenberg

more objective I guess....

maybe my excitement of getting rid of him got the best of me!

Vic is for me one of the most devisive Everton players we have had over the years. When he started out we had Vaughan as a similar age who in my opinion was a far superior talent. He had searing pace and could finish - he just had awful luck with injuries.

Moyes seen something with Anichebe though and really perservered with him, and to be fair Vic threw that back in his face. The number of times i've seen him nudged off the ball, fall over over slap the ground in a tantrum caused me to near explode. The man is 6ft 3in and built like a tank - yet gets knocked over?!

Sure we have see times where he has proven what you think he should do every game:- bullies centre halves, chases down lost causes, makes nice runs and uses a decent touch. But for me he's been stealing £30k a week for too long now.

Apparently in training he is said to be awesome (the same was said about Lucas Leiva years ago when fans mocked him - he came good) - I just don't think he's got it going on in his head. He plays with an almighty chip on his shoulder and seems to attract angry glances from players like Baines for his lack of thought.

He may be the player for you that Everton fans wished he could be for us. A powerful, quick, direct forward who if he applies himself and grows up can do a great job - its a pity he just wasnt able to do it over all these years at Everton.

To summarise yesterday's business..

Fellaini out - £27.5m

Anichebe out - £3m+

£30.5m

Barry in - £6m in wages

Lukaku in - £5m in wages

McCarthy in - £13m

£24m

We have effectively took on Lukaku and Barry for free for a year. They look expensive but when I look at it like that, I can't complain.

Robles' and Kone's transfer fees are covered too if Anichebe reaches the £6m announced.