IGNORED

Vegetarian & Vegans : why?

Matt

I was just going to stick it in the What Grinds My Gears thread, but its a topic Im quite passionate about.

I genuinely believe that vegetarianism and veganism (as well as the whole organic food, raw foodists, and other lunatics) are boarder line immoral. Its a topic that drives me round the bend.

Well, let me clarify. Its the preachier, holier-than-though-because-I'm-*insert one of the above here* idiots that I'm so irritated by. People who chose to do it because they dont like the taste of milk/dairy foods/cooked food/whatever, I've less of an issue with. People who have been sick because of poorly prepared food and cant face it again - hmmmm, ok. I kinda get that. In my opinion though, its wrong on so many levels.

My objection to it all, is because its a sign of how spoilt/fuckin lucky we are that we have an option to choose what we eat, that some people take for granted in the extreme.

I'm curious if we have people on here who can explain why they choose to eat in one these, in my opinion, luxury diets. Its not an attack (despite the initial rant - which I stand by), its a genuine effort to try and understand. You know, since TT is getting all controversial n highbrow n shit.

Oh, and to acknowledge from the start - I'm a meat lover. I'm a food lover. I can't eat mussels any more unfortunately (I'm an example of the poorly prepared foods examples) but I still eat them if that's what's available, though I avoid if I can since each time since I was sick for 5 days solid (lost close to 1.5st) my body freaks out. Im also somewhat hypocritical, in that there are some foods I just cannot stand - anything pickled for example. I recognize that I should eat whatever is put on my plate and be grateful for it, but hell... I'm far from perfect.

Edited by Matt

I don't really see how choosing to go without something can be called a luxury diet :huh:.

Too much Gamay has turned you into Mr Angry Matt :P.

some fucker told me I was wrong for eating meat. I told him I believed it was ok, and right. He responded with abuse.

I call it luxury because people have the choice to pick and choose what they eat when billions are starving.

some fucker told me I was wrong for eating meat. I told him I believed it was ok, and right. He responded with abuse.

I call it luxury because people have the choice to pick and choose what they eat when billions are starving.

But surely if you eat everything you're picking and choosing from a wider range than someone who's picking and choosing from a self imposed restricted range :dont know: .

(My bottle's empty too....but sadly that's because the wife drank the rest of it while I was having a well earned snooze :()

But surely if you eat everything you're picking and choosing from a wider range than someone who's picking and choosing from a self imposed restricted range :dont know: .

I dont reject different foods for the most part (Ive acknowledged my hypocrisy already). Im saying, if someone presents you with food, you shouldnt reject it. I eat horrible food presented to me because its there (Hungary and Barcelona spring to mind), alternatively I find another source. Thats picking and choosing, sure. But its not rejecting food and its not letting food go to waste.

If your choosing to not eat something, its because you have that choice, which is a luxury. Tell those in the world that are starving that they shouldnt eat meat. That they shouldnt use fertilizers to grow crops, or use GE crops to support people in climates that dont support enough the plants.

Again, its the preachy fuckers I have an issue with. We are lucky, we do live in a culture where we have choice, and we should make the most of it. But people telling you you're immoral pisses me off. I may believe that its boarder line immoral (hypocrisy acknowledge, to a degree), but I dont judge people on it and I sure as shit dont campaign against or abuse people who eat what they want to eat.

they're a pain in the arse at work

my sister is one and it's a pain in the arse when we go out

other than that i'm too lazy to care what other people eat or don't eat...i'll eat whatever is there..meat, veg, salad

the only ones that annoy me are the ones that eat fish and claim to be vegetarian..not sure how that works? how is fish acceptable

Through the years, I've been a big meat eater. I remember one business dinner in Texas where I ate a 32-oz steak, for example. I've also eaten more fast food than I should have - though nowhere near as much as some. In recent years, I've tried to take better care of myself physically by exercising more and taking some things out of my diet. Today, I eat much more fish, the same amount of chicken, and no red meat. I've also given up completely on bread and potatoes. It's made quite a difference, I can tell you. Now, should I ever choose to become vegetarian, it would be because of the health benefits and not any sense of morality.

One thing, though: Would we eat as much meat if we had to spend a day watching the factory farming and slaughter of chickens and cattle? For most of us, it's an invisible process. In reality, it can be quite awful.

they're a pain in the arse at work

my sister is one and it's a pain in the arse when we go out

other than that i'm too lazy to care what other people eat or don't eat...i'll eat whatever is there..meat, veg, salad

the only ones that annoy me are the ones that eat fish and claim to be vegetarian..not sure how that works? how is fish acceptable

except marmite :shaking fist:

Some people only consume vegetable products (sorry for any spelling errors but trying to listen in on some people having a conversation in Italian as I do this) as they don't like the idea of animals being killed for it. And that's a very sound line of thinking. Fish, Chickens, Horses and Lambs etc, should be able to go about their business without fear of being killed or ending up on someones dinner plate. I don't condone the killing of animals for food, but still eat meat products as well as fish, but have seriously considered becoming vegetarian. Don't really have the taste for it, and it's all about the flavor, but even one more person deciding to go the vegetarian route, won't make much of a difference all said. I never liked the term meat eater either, prefer to class them as carnivores, it's more appropriate that way.

In a perfect world we probably wouldn't kill animals just so we can eat them, there are plenty of other options around that taste pretty good ( I still eat, meat, fish etc ), but then I'm certainly not perfect.

(sorry for any spelling errors, no, there are no Italians present....I just can't spell)

Fish, Chickens, Horses and Lambs etc, should be able to go about their business without fear of being killed or ending up on someones dinner plate.

I don't think I've ever tried horse... :dont know:

Anyway, as harsh as it sounds thats nature for you. Do you see a tiger taking pity on a gazelle because he feels sorry for it? Nope. It's kill or be killed in nature. The fact that we are more advanced than the animal kindgom does not mean that we should turn our back on nature and become herbiverous. Eating meat is completely normal and whilst I'm strongly against some the actions that go on in slaughter-houses I'm perfectly happy to kill animals as they taste brilliant with gravy.

Just thought of this in bed last night....if me changing my eating habits would benefit people living in penury in the third world I'd happily do it; but I don't see that there's any connection. I have a direct debit out of my bank every month to Oxfam (wife has one to WaterAid) and I think that has more effect than me stopping eating my daily crocodile sandwich would.

I eat meat pretty much every day of my life. There's no chance I could ever be a vegetarian or vegan. But, at the same time, I'm not going to criticise someone for being a vegetarian. It's up to every person what they choose to put in their bodies.

I eat a lot of what I do like but if someone serves me or asks me if I want something that I don't like then I'm not going to eat it. Despite me also hating wasting food.

except marmite :shaking fist:

thats not food, its the devils spunk,

Bloody philistines, the pair of you. Marmite is wonderful and full of zinc and not only tastes great but is pretty good for you. Did you know you can also get a variety of different types of Marmite?

Great stuff.

Bovril ain't bad either, but that is not the vegetarian option is it?

No matter how much you’re irritated by holier than thou vegans, they surely pale in number beside the meat eaters who insist on asking vegans to justify their diet. Not sure if the aforesaid meat eaters ask Muslims or Buddhists to just their religion (probably not), but with veggies and vegans, it seems like open season to take a pop. Many informed and intelligent people eat meat; it’s a shame, then, that the only arguments vegans hear are of the ‘what would we do with all the animals if we didn’t eat them?’ variety. Who cares if you eat meat? Who cares if you’re a veggie / vegan? Live and let live. The only real difference between vegans and meat eaters is that vegans expend that courtesy to animals as well as people.

No matter how much you’re irritated by holier than thou vegans, they surely pale in number beside the meat eaters who insist on asking vegans to justify their diet. Not sure if the aforesaid meat eaters ask Muslims or Buddhists to just their religion (probably not), but with veggies and vegans, it seems like open season to take a pop. Many informed and intelligent people eat meat; it’s a shame, then, that the only arguments vegans hear are of the ‘what would we do with all the animals if we didn’t eat them?’ variety. Who cares if you eat meat? Who cares if you’re a veggie / vegan? Live and let live. The only real difference between vegans and meat eaters is that vegans expend that courtesy to animals as well as people.

Meat eaters do too.

I always ask veggies or vegans why they choose to be veggie/vegan, its not something I can understand and im curious. Same with religion, I always ask questions to learn more.

Bloody philistines, the pair of you. Marmite is wonderful and full of zinc and not only tastes great but is pretty good for you. Did you know you can also get a variety of different types of Marmite?

Great stuff.

Bovril ain't bad either, but that is not the vegetarian option is it?

you don't half talk some shite rubes! nothin that tastes that bad can be good for you! i never fell for that shit as a kid and i ain't gonna start now :shaking fist: :P

you don't half talk some shite rubes! nothin that tastes that bad can be good for you! i never fell for that shit as a kid and i ain't gonna start now :shaking fist: :P

Puts hairs on yer chest lad Maybe on the palms of yer hands too if you get it on there. The ad is right you either love it or you hate it. Marmite lovers of course have taste. If you don't like Marmite you spend you lives looking for something decent to eat. Look at what happened to Suarez. He would be a lot better with a Marmite on cheese and toast inside him :rofl: