IGNORED

Andy Robertson

• 2 months later...

He'd make sense if we really intend on playing Baines in a holding role next season. Otherwise I don't really see the point.

Scout and sign talent, then it will sort itself out. Injuries, versatiliy, Baines ageing (potential long term replacement), Baines still able to perform and teach him a thing or two about how to become a great LB in the PL...

I would hate it if Martinez does not sign the best young players available identified by the scout team because the team has the position already covered.

Scout and sign talent, then it will sort itself out. Injuries, versatiliy, Baines ageing (potential long term replacement), Baines still able to perform and teach him a thing or two about how to become a great LB in the PL...

I would hate it if Martinez does not sign the best young players available identified by the scout team because the team has the position already covered.

We've already got Oviedo as well though. Robertson is never gonna be as good as he can be if he becomes the third choice left back here.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cant see us buying another LB.

Baines - Starting

Oviedo - Cover

Garbutt - Coming through

Robertson - buy now while he's still easily affordable and loan him out for a year or two.

When Baines passes his peak in a couple of years, sell him for more than he's worth to whatever third-rate club David Moyes is managing by then, Oviedo takes over as the starter, and whichever of Garbutt or Robertson has shown more ability becomes his cover. :D

Competition for positions is always good, and a smartly run club shouldn't pass up on genuine talent (especially affordable talent) just because they think they have "enough" players at a position already. Promising careers get derailed by injuries (remember when we thought James Vaughn had a bright future here?), youngsters who flash early potential peak too soon and never fully develop, other clubs come in and unsettle the starters, and suddenly a position you thought was deep dries up and you're left thinking "why didn't they buy that guy back when he cost 500,000 instead of 5 million?"

Or to put it another way, where would we be right now if Moyes had passed on the chance to buy Coleman back in 2008-09 because he already had Hibbert and Lars Jacobsen in the squad at right back, and Dan Gosling waiting in the pipeline? Hibbert was younger at the time than Baines is now, and Jacobsen was a full international just like Oviedo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...