IGNORED

Salary versus bonus

In industry, bonuses can be used to focus employees on a specific goal. Sales people, of course, earn much of their compensation from commission or bonuses linked to revenue targets.

Why shouldn't this apply to football players? Why not bring in new players for a modest salary with the promise of a big bonus if, for example, we make it to the Champions League? Let's say we win an additional 5m from reaching the CL? Then give out 2m of that in bonuses to players. That way, Everton could bring in good players on lower salaries with the promise of big reward when the team succeeds.

There just seem to be so many players out there who earn big bucks whether their teams succeed or fail. If they were incented financially to win, surely it would benefit their teams. Players would suddenly become more hungry to succeed.

american football (NFL) works like this. they have guaranteed money (money they make no matter what happens) and performance bonuses. the performance bonuses can be whatever the team, player and agent agree upon. it works well in that system especially with injuries (team doesn't take as big a hit) and aging veterans.

i think it would be great in the premier league, all it would take is an aging vet to sign on with a premier league team and do such a deal hoping to hit their form and make the money and then when the contract is up get a big guaranteed deal. I don't think the agents and such would be into it since it would be more of a gamble though.

Edited by markjazzbassist

In industry, bonuses can be used to focus employees on a specific goal. Sales people, of course, earn much of their compensation from commission or bonuses linked to revenue targets.

Why shouldn't this apply to football players? Why not bring in new players for a modest salary with the promise of a big bonus if, for example, we make it to the Champions League? Let's say we win an additional 5m from reaching the CL? Then give out 2m of that in bonuses to players. That way, Everton could bring in good players on lower salaries with the promise of big reward when the team succeeds.

There just seem to be so many players out there who earn big bucks whether their teams succeed or fail. If they were incented financially to win, surely it would benefit their teams. Players would suddenly become more hungry to succeed.

QPR is a great example of how why it should be implemented.

This does happen.

The only difference is that players always have a guaranteed wage that is high regardless.

They do get win bonuses, goals bonus, clean sheet etc!

This happens at all levels too fro Semi-Pro and up.

The problem is there are no salary caps at the moment and the extortianate wages these players command makes these bonus payments trivial. So you get an extra £20k if you score to go top of your £100k a week! is it really a incentive when a player hires someone else to look after his finances.

When i played you had a modest payment for playing, then if you won, scored a brace and picked up a MoM you would be quids in! ok that was at Amateur/Semi-pro level but i heard of many league clubs doing the same.

There is simply too much money being paid out for players to really have to put extra effort in to earn more these days.

I mean every time you hear about a player being brought up for tax evasion you then hear that they didnt really know anything about it....deal with my accountant, it's nothing to worry about.

the players do get big bonuses though....on top of their huge salaries.

Players get bonuses for playing, scoring, keeping clean sheets,qualifying for the champions league, putting their boots on the right way round and all sorts of other things that agents mange to swing into a contract.

For playing? That's like getting a bonus for showing up for work! Instead, I should be getting a bonus only if I help bring in the biggest ever contract.

Would be great, but that'll never happen.

I know sales people often have a large portion of their compensation determined by a bonus. Investment Bankers & Traders have a bonus that represents the majority of their salary determined by their bonus (around 50% of compensation for junior bankers, 80-90%+ for upper level bankers) ... Upper level executives in business (CEO's, etc) bonus is often many times their base salary and is highly dependent on their performance...

Shame that it seems a base salary + signing on bonus will always be what represents a majority, if not all of a footballer's compensation.

Guest Nikica

It's a nice idea and it should be the way things are but it won't happen in the PL, sadly.

In terms of guaranteed salary, it still blows my mind that a player can earn 200k in a week for a bit of training and then missing a game at the weekend.