IGNORED

30 years ago today...

I lived in Kent at the time. It was an absolutely beautiful day and everyone at school, except me, wanted Watford to win. A lot of so called experts had them to win it, too. I was a nervous wreck. It didn't really sink in that we'd won till days after. I remember thinking 14 years was such an enormous amount of time not to win anything (since the First Division title in 1970). Of course, time plays funny tricks on you and I now think that is a very short time. It's 19 years since we last won the cup and 27 since the title, yet they seem like yesterday.

What were you before an Everton fan?! And why did you change?

I was a Liverpool fan, the logic to an 8 year old growing up was "where is Everton" - I didn't even know it was a local team. All I knew was Liverpool is close, had been there shopping and they won things. The first game I went to see was Everton in December 1984 5-0 we won... the rest is history.

My brother has always hated the very fact that to a non fan Everton does not tie in with a location. A bit like Arsenal I suppose.

Edited by Hafnia

I was a Liverpool fan, the logic to an 8 year old growing up was "where is Everton" - I didn't even know it was a local team. All I knew was Liverpool is close, had been there shopping and they won things. The first game I went to see was Everton in December 1984 5-0 we won... the rest is history.

My brother has always hated the very fact that to a non fan Everton does not tie in with a location. A bit like Arsenal I suppose.

Kopite ;)

Kopite ;)

I knew that was coming. At least it can be said I wasn't a glory hunter, Liverpool had just won the league.

I've always said, you can't really be a fan till "you have been to a game" - not necessarily that you need to go to the games, but to get an understanding of the club going the match is the pivotal moment.

Lived in Guildford at the time; me and a mate (fellow Evertonian) knew someone who worked at the Royal Corps of Transport in Aldershot who'd told us they might be able to get us a couple of tickets from the Army FA's allocation but it'd be last minute and he didn't know where in the ground they'd be. Only got the phone call on the Friday evening to confirm we had them and they were Everton end.

Was a brilliant day, comfortable result and we never looked like conceding.....though John Barnes was dangerous at times (as he often was before he went to Liverpool and got fat). Watford fans were great before and after; celebrations at the final whistle were mad, I'd been ten when we last won something. Great memories.

Was amazed at the time (and still am tbh) that the second goal was allowed.

my first memories of being an everton fan was watching my dads 'history of everton' VCR tape over and over again. The bit that gives me gooze bumps still today is where they talk to alec young's daughter and the sudden burst of the crowds roar when she mentions his name. From that day I became a big 'young' fan.

#lovethatvideo.