IGNORED

USA National Team

(Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now)

Great week for American soccer. U-20s advance, U-23s place 3rd at a prestige tourney (I didn't get to see this one but apparently both goals were PKs), sr. Men's team beats two powerhouses in Europe and the Women won their first game in the group stage.

There's a lot of young talent in the system right now. Off of the top of my head, Rubin, Zelalem, Morris, and Green all look like they might be special if they develop. (I'm probably missing a half dozen guys too.) I don't think I've ever seen an American midfielder do the things Zelalem was doing against New Zealand. (He wasn't as good against Ukraine though.)

Looking forward to the Women tomorrow and through the rest of the WWC. Then the Gold Cup next month. After that we'll just be a few weeks away from watching Everton again.

(Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now)

Great week for American soccer. U-20s advance, U-23s place 3rd at a prestige tourney (I didn't get to see this one but apparently both goals were PKs), sr. Men's team beats two powerhouses in Europe and the Women won their first game in the group stage.

There's a lot of young talent in the system right now. Off of the top of my head, Rubin, Zelalem, Morris, and Green all look like they might be special if they develop. (I'm probably missing a half dozen guys too.) I don't think I've ever seen an American midfielder do the things Zelalem was doing against New Zealand. (He wasn't as good against Ukraine though.)

Looking forward to the Women tomorrow and through the rest of the WWC. Then the Gold Cup next month. After that we'll just be a few weeks away from watching Everton again.

Agreed man. Zelalem does look a great

Prospect. Rubin has been getting better every year, glad he is improving. Emerson hyndman who plays next to zelalem has looked good too, he saw some decent time at Fulham this year which is nice.

Yes and with the way Guzan is playing hopefully Stefan is the starter by the World Cup. Guzan and Howard are past it.

If I was Klinsmann I'd fuck Howard off just because of his arrogance of thinking he can take a break from international football and then come back whenever he feels like it.

If I was Klinsmann I'd fuck Howard off just because of his arrogance of thinking he can take a break from international football and then come back whenever he feels like it.

He will I believe. If he had a stellar year this year for Everton I think he'd give him a chance but now? I doubt it. He will give the other guys a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Cup roster announced, seems JK is going all in for the win to get us to the Confederations Cup. I don't blame him, it would better a great competition and learning experience for the team and could help us with the 2018 WC.

Agree. Confed cup is great experience and worth pushing for. Even so, the Gold Cup should always be ours.

Bob Bradley is doing really well with staebek in the Norwegian tippaligan. They are second and 3 points off top. If they stay in 2nd they'll qualify for Europa, first American coach in a 1st division in Europe, would be the first to qualify for a euro competition too. I'm following them and rooting them on, maybe he can get a bigger job in Ligue 1, Scottish league, or something.

Bob Bradley is doing really well with staebek in the Norwegian tippaligan. They are second and 3 points off top. If they stay in 2nd they'll qualify for Europa, first American coach in a 1st division in Europe, would be the first to qualify for a euro competition too. I'm following them and rooting them on, maybe he can get a bigger job in Ligue 1, Scottish league, or something.

Talking of Bradley's - I watched Toronto's game last night and Michael looked very good. They didn't manage to get the win but he really stood out.

Talking of Bradley's - I watched Toronto's game last night and Michael looked very good. They didn't manage to get the win but he really stood out.

He's been in excellent form recently and was instrumental in our wins against Germany and Holland.

He'd be the perfect foil to McCarthy for me.

I was unimpressed. An own goal and a PK (with one PK not converted). Don't know if English pessimism has rubbed off on me but this was the least convincing 4-0 win I've ever seen. I didn't think the guys were all that motivated as it was a friendly but we shall see Tuesday. Talent and playing all games at home should be enough.

I think one of the perpetual problems with the US is that their region is pretty weak. Outside of Mexico, which is a hit and miss side, there's no one in CONCACAF to push them. Costa Rica has been good recently but one other decent team doesn't make a region. Contrast that with Europe: Lukaku came off the bench for Belgium in the WC game. So many good squads there to test against.

The best Gold Cup I remember was 2011, 2013 was a disappointment. I'm not remarking on the outcome of the final but the overall enjoyment I had from the tournament. I remember seeing Joel Campbell for the first time thinking he would go on to much bigger things - I think he was still at Saprissa at the time.