IGNORED

Pre-Season: Celta Vigo

Romey 1878

Terrible first half from what I ended up seeing but this 2nd half was so much more positive. If we can come out against Leicester like we did this 2nd half, we will have a good season. Barkley, Besic and McCarthy were solid. McGeady created some good opportunities and Naismith was at the end of them, it's just a shame he wasn't able to capitalize. Our backline bounced back decently in the second half, I just hope they take the first half as a lesson how NOT to pass out of the back. One more preseason game before our opener, so excited for the season to start!

Interesting game that! We did some shocking things and we did some really good things. In the ends the scoreline is a little harsh on us because we at least deserved a 2nd in the 2nd half and I think had Lukaku been playing then we would have scored at least one more, for all that Naismith put in a good shift.

Some good second half performances once we had settled down and the diamond in midfield with Gibson deeper and McCarthy and Besic breaking worked well. Gibson and Besic both impressed me and Gibson's leadership was good to see. Besic started a little sloppily but he stepped it up and was almost foot perfect for the last 35 mins! Duffy was solid in defence, Stones showed that he should be the stand in RB and Browning actually did pretty well as a LB. He didnt do anything flashy but for a right footed central player he was very solid positionally at LB which highlights a maturity in his game which most wouldnt have at his stage. He was calm in attack and he joined in some nice passing moves too. He needs to work on his final ball if he is going to be a full back but I dont think that will be his future.

We had a lot of concentration lapses but at this stage I'm not too worried about it. The players, especially first half, treated it like a pre-season game whereas Celta Vigo were wound up like it was a league game. We did that at the end of the preseason last season and we were fully tuned up for Norwich. I expect us to be a little sharper again against FC Padernborn(?) but I dont think we will start fulling firing until we play Leicester which is exactly how it should be.

Still not gonna get caught up in friendly's. It's a fitness step in the right direction. Expected sloppy play due to a nothing game. Can't take much from a game when players pull out of tackles and back four think they are maradona cause it means nothing. Played well second half. Besic and Ross lol like there on the same page as each other and looked like they enjoyed passing to each other.

We still really need a quality winger and a quality centre forward. I really hope Martinez doesn't see Naismith as the backup striker cause we need someone with a lot more presence. Naismith should be Barkley's backup in behind the striker.

Yeps....

If that forward line out there tonight is our plan b then we are fucked!

There is room in our squad for all the players but Naismith as back up to Lukaku? Not a fucking hope in hell .

If that 's how we 're going we are going to struggle.

calm down. our forward line is not that, i can't believe you would even think that.

lukaku

pienaar barkley mirallas

you really think we spent 28m to let rom ride the bench?

As Peter has already kindly pointed out, I said plan b.

Pienaar and Lukaku get injured, we have to move with Mirallas or Naismith up front. Neither are good enough.

Mirallas as a striker I mean.

Edited by Paddock

I dont think there is any cause for concern yet. RM is probably just testing some options. The guys are not supposed to be peaking yet. We didnt see anything close to our starting 11 either.

We can start to worry if it looks the same in the first few games of the PL.

Unless and until we sign a loan striker Kone is plan B. Thi K he might be a fair sight better than most Evertonians give him credit for. Naismith is a second striker and can play off Rom or Kone Plan C is Naismith and Kev in tandem.

Does Koné still exist? I think the best way to go forward would be to act as if he wasn't at the club, sign a centre forward and view whatever Koné does offer this season if he ever manages to get on the pitch again as an extra.

What concerns me is they looked far fitter than us

They pressed us throughout the game.

Even their subs were doing sprints behind the goal while ours were strolling up and down the line watching the game.

Where was jags and pienaar ?

Why is browning being played left back /mid

He should be playing right back.

He looks like he can play so let's play him in his favoured position r/b c/b.

They didn't look fitter, they were just sharper. Like I said before they treated it as a league game and our attitude was very much preseason. At the end of the game we were coming on the strongest so I think we are ok on the whole fitness wise.

I think both played Sat (or at least Pienaar did) so they are probably just in the rotation to play again Saturday. Unless they are stated as injured I wouldn't read anything into it.

Browning was playing LB because that's where we needed the cover with Garbutt & Oviedo out and Baines still working his way back. Hibbert needed to come off and without another RB it made sense for Stones to move out there.

I think you reading too much into what was a meaningless friendly.