IGNORED

Vedran Corluka

Funnily enough I just read Numbers Game which proved that if you want best bang for buck you should improve on your worst player. Corluka would be an improvement over Distin & Alcaraz.

Hey - I read that too! It's a little dry at times but lots of good pointers in there... It also says that Moyes and Martinez are the HEROES of the book. That's actually what it says.

What did you reckon about the stats on corners - that on average, only 1 in 100 corners lead to a goal. I thought that was bollocks and have kept count since then, and I have to say it seems about right.

Hey - I read that too! It's a little dry at times but lots of good pointers in there... It also says that Moyes and Martinez are the HEROES of the book. That's actually what it says.

What did you reckon about the stats on corners - that on average, only 1 in 100 corners lead to a goal. I thought that was bollocks and have kept count since then, and I have to say it seems about right.

Wish our average was that high.

That corner thing was repeated in some interview & The Secret Footballers latest book. But yeah, I'd say it's about right. Problem is we fans always think a corner as a good chance to score and that's why people are so frustrated with their poor quality. I say we should just maintain possession.

Have we actually scored directly from a corner since Lukaku last season against Liverpool 3-3? I can't recall us scoring directly from one. We scored against Swansea but the ball got cleared and Naismith took a shot and it deflected off 2 players in the net...

Jags v Lille.

That's the thing. You have to train them a lot to score, and if you do that you can expect to score maybe once every ten matches.

If I recall, the stat is something like 1 in 20 corners leads to a shot on goal, and of those shots, 1 in 5 go in. That comes out at as a 1 goal for every 100 corners. That is of course an average from stats taken across all teams in all the top 4 leagues in europe over 5 years or something. Also, many teams concede after having a corner. Statistically speaking, a corner is a double edged sword - you're better off just keeping possession, or spending every living moment practising them.