IGNORED

NHL and General Ice Hockey Chat

Hello merry people of TT!

I have a confession. Recently I purchased the unbelievably addictive entity that is NHL 2011 for the 360. On spending a rediculous amount of my evenings wasting in front of this game, i have aquired a new found craving for a sport that was for me a background interest. I've never taken much notice of the sport, never followed it nor have I spent much time watching it.

The only game i have had the privilidge to see (in the flesh), was viewed by complete fluke! After going for a skate in the local rink in Italy during a holiday, we were forced off the ice just over a hour in. We were told we could stay around and watch a game that was being played tonight; what we didn't expect was a play-off game between Japan and Italy for the Ice Hockey version of the World Cup. I was completely engrossed throughout the whole game but sadly was never able to follow up any real intrest living in the UK in an area and time where your most local Hockey team (then EHL - Manchester Storm) went bust. So my interest dwindled.

After playing this game however, i really want to follow the sport.(Before anyone points out i know the season has pretty much finsihed and we're as far along as the Stanley Cup play-offs). So the whole reason for this topic really, was to ask people which teams they support/follow/admire?

I've gone through a vigorous elimination process to distinguish which team i would like to follow (consisted of the usual newby elimination process - team name, jersey, colours, stadia, fan base, players, potential to compete, potential young players and any other personal ties) and i was able to narrow it down to five teams and eventually one. That i will keep until AFTER the Stanley Cup because if im honest, i will have to change my mind if they win it wink.gif Can't be a glory hunter now, i've not been so far and im not starting now.

So again, this is a part of the forum for those who have an interest in the NHL, EPL, CHL or others? Ice Hockey in general.

Sorry about the essay but thats me boyo's aha.

Not a fan personally, think it's one of those sports that if you see it live it'd be very easy to get caught up in but it doesn't really work on TV for me....so fast the puck is hard to follow :unsure: .

Having said that I saw that GB had a great World Cup recently (http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=761:team-gb-coach-and-players-what-they-said&catid=35:demo-content&Itemid=92), not at the elite level but quite a performance :) .

Iggy's a big fan of the Guildford Flames I think, though he's not been on for a while :( .

i've been trying to get into it, but its more about the atmosphere than the game for me. Geneve have a team so I suppose these would be who i would support if i was truly interested:

http://gshc.ch/HomePage/HomePage.php?menu=0&choixlangue=en

The intro of the teams is quite cool. They have an eagle that flies around the arena screeching.

Cant get that much into it though, theres no grass, or round ball and too many sticks and protective gear. Only football for me (except maybe watching rally, biking and skateboarding, but i dont consider these as sports as such)

Don't get me wrong, football is my first love but its nice sometimes to have something else which is a little different, i mean i don't garden, knit or make cakes so its another interest i suppose?

Weevil, have the capitals had a major re-branding in recent years? Plus have they acquired some investment? They seem like they're becoming a major player in todays game but prior to my limited knowledge of the game anyway, i hadn't heard much about them.

I secretly wanted to support the canucks because we were meant to see them play on a rugby tour to Canada but they'd sold out. So instead we saw the BC lions play and i made up for not seeing the canucks by buying a branded puck, a flag and a pen (very touristy ha.)

Im very tempted at the thought of a Manchester Phoenix season ticket (good value for money)? They are the team that "rose from the ashes" (previously Manchester storm) and aren't too shabby! A few good young players, mixed with some foreign veterans, makings of a good team.

Weevil, have the capitals had a major re-branding in recent years? Plus have they acquired some investment? They seem like they're becoming a major player in todays game but prior to my limited knowledge of the game anyway, i hadn't heard much about them.

They did have a huge rebranding after the lockout. Changed their team colors, symbol, etc.. They also got ovechkin with the first draft pick in that year and he promptly won MVP (most valuable player) multiple times. So because they finally had a star player and were rebranded they started getting a lot more ticket sales and interest.

We need them, but it has a greater affect due to the sinbin rule and emphasised by the camera. I would love to go in an orange morph-suit so you would stand out! We don't get many who dress-up or have any fan favourites or mini-mascots?

Edited by tenaciousj

• 1 month later...

Hello!! Quick update if anyone's not heard the Boston Bruins won the Stanley cup after an incredible round of games in the final.

Series was tied 3-3 going into the final game, Canucks had advantage with the last game being at home but completely blew it!

Here's a link if anyone wants to read up on it :)

http://www.nhl.com/cup/round4/index.html?intcmpid=nhl-pc-mast

This has made my selection a little more complicated. I wanted to eliminate the Canucks from my selection by them winning the cup, that didn't happen so they're still in the frame :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

They remind me of Everton too much to pass on the opportunity :D

They were the first team to draft 'My pro' on NHL 11' and I like their philosophy and they're not a glory supported team at all. They have a good fan base and they like their hockey. Good youth coming through and as i say, remind me of Everton in a lot of ways.

So that drawn out (and rather uninteresting) declaration has happened :)

Edited by tenaciousj

anaheim..mainly cos i loved the films as a kid :lol:

gone off it in recent years but saw anaheim play against the new york rangers at msg when i was there..timed nicely :) it was immense and i loved every minute of it! got a hockey stick as a kid cos i used to play roller hockey with it and had anaheim gloves and jersey's and what not too!

Posted at 1.27 and...

This post has been edited by tenaciousj: Today, 01:30 PM

....edited three minutes later.

Did you change your mind :lol: ?

:unsure: ahaha No!

It was to edit the writing underneath, it was too close to the badge :D

Good spot though, even better come-back :lol: Hat off to you!

Edited by tenaciousj

• 3 years later...

About time that we have a thread about ice hockey. (Most of u probably think hockey is a bit meh but theres plenty of US guys here now. Plus a fin although he has not been on for a while, a swede, Matts in Switzerland etc)

Junior world cup on at he mo, I hold Sweden as potential winners but Canada must be favourites at home.

Sweden just thumped Switzerland 5-1. How is that recieved in Switzerland Matt?

It's a game that I've always thought would be good to watch live; atmosphere always looks great, but it does nothing for me on TV. You just can't see the puck ffs, I'm continually guessing where it is.....and the players don't seem arsed where it is half the time either, more interested in inflicting GBH on each other.

Having said that, this is a nice story I read a while back...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/ice-hockey/30548383

It's a game that I've always thought would be good to watch live; atmosphere always looks great, but it does nothing for me on TV. You just can't see the puck ffs, I'm continually guessing where it is.....and the players don't seem arsed where it is half the time either, more interested in inflicting GBH on each other.

Having said that, this is a nice story I read a while back...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/ice-hockey/30548383

You can tell by the picture of him and his wife that he has money :)