IGNORED

The "How to Fix Things" thread

Hafnia

I did shit at school...so don't ask me for any info on GCSE level studying.

Got some sort of Diploma level Management and Leadership qualifications...so I might be able to do something there! Possibly. Probably not actually.

Love my DIY...do all sorts...tiling, plumbing, painting & decorating, gardening, deck building, shed building. Made many mistakes over time...as they say, that's how you learn.

But to be honest, Googles my best mate. So anything I could tell you, it's out there.

I did shit at school...so don't ask me for any info on GCSE level studying.

Got some sort of Diploma level Management and Leadership qualifications...so I might be able to do something there! Possibly. Probably not actually.

Love my DIY...do all sorts...tiling, plumbing, painting & decorating, gardening, deck building, shed building. Made many mistakes over time...as they say, that's how you learn.

But to be honest, Googles my best mate. So anything I could tell you, it's out there.

I had to "learn" DIY the hard way. Third house we lived in had nothing in the kitchen except a sink hanging off the wall so I had to build one from scratch; so armed with an E grade (fail) in design and tech O level from twenty years earlier and a hand drill (couldn't afford an electric one) I did it. Not buying units but making them; very proud of it in the end.

Got the bug and have done quite a bit since (though I hate decorating with a passion) but fucked shoulder has put an end to it sadly. I'm too old to learn to use my left hand :(.

I had to "learn" DIY the hard way. Third house we lived in had nothing in the kitchen except a sink hanging off the wall so I had to build one from scratch; so armed with an E grade (fail) in design and tech O level from twenty years earlier and a hand drill (couldn't afford an electric one) I did it. Not buying units but making them; very proud of it in the end.

Got the bug and have done quite a bit since (though I hate decorating with a passion) but fucked shoulder has put an end to it sadly. I'm too old to learn to use my left hand :(.

I do enjoy my 'home projects'. I'm poor at budgeting for them though...I just shrug my shoulders think 'bah, cost doesn't matter'. Then shit myself and sulk when the credit card bill comes through. Always overspend. When the time comes, I'll take great pleasure in cutting up that credit card (well, asking them to reduce the credit limit. Same thing!)

It's good to have built up these 'skills', in this modern commercial world it's good to be able to fall back on something to keep cash rolling in should it all go tits up. And it nearly has a couple of times in the last few years.

Maybe I'll retrain...I'll be good as a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. And I don't mean that as a compliment to myself!!!

Time served joiner who ventured into kitchen fitting for private firm's so joinery tiling plumbing and electrically skilled who now drives trains for a living...

So if you need a tradesman who's forgot a fair amount to make room for all the various rules and regulations then give me a shout or you want advice on anything railway related

Edited by EFC-Paul