IGNORED

Championship Promotion

Also didn't realise that this was only the fifth season in their history they've been in the second tier, astonishing really. Nice to see the stewards making no effort to stop the pitch invasion :).

All orchestrated by an Evertonian of course B).

They have a fairly rich backer, so they'll be able to sign a few players if they want to. Not necessarily a good thing, but Howe doesn't seem like the type of manager to throw money at any old player - he'll be after the right players, whether they cost a lot of money or not.

They have a fairly rich backer, so they'll be able to sign a few players if they want to. Not necessarily a good thing, but Howe doesn't seem like the type of manager to throw money at any old player - he'll be after the right players, whether they cost a lot of money or not.

They may have but you can't say that they've got there on his back; lots of other Championship clubs have spent far bigger. The only one of their players I know anything about is Dan Gosling and if Howe can turn him into a premier league player he'll be up with SAF in the future :).

Dean Court only holds 12,000 so they'll have to invest a bit in that. Obviously the TV deal totally eclipses home gates but still.

Will be interesting to see how Deeney and Wilson will step up - both big, physical, young English strikers who have found scoring pretty easy in the Championship.

They may have but you can't say that they've got there on his back; lots of other Championship clubs have spent far bigger. The only one of their players I know anything about is Dan Gosling and if Howe can turn him into a premier league player he'll be up with SAF in the future :).

Tbf, they have tried to spend big money (for that league) but Birmingham wouldn't play ball with Gray, and they spent £3m on Wilson which is quite a big fee for the Championship. But that wasn't what I was getting at, I just meant that if they can convince players to buy into what they want to achieve then money won't be much of an obstacle for them.

Tbf, they have tried to spend big money (for that league) but Birmingham wouldn't play ball with Gray, and they spent £3m on Wilson which is quite a big fee for the Championship. But that wasn't what I was getting at, I just meant that if they can convince players to buy into what they want to achieve then money won't be much of an obstacle for them.

Problem is that sometimes if you use money to "buy players into" a newly promoted team you end up like QPR. Whatever, hope they do well and stick around for a few seasons but I really don't see them establishing themselves long term.

Problem is that sometimes if you use money to "buy players into" a newly promoted team you end up like QPR. Whatever, hope they do well and stick around for a few seasons but I really don't see them establishing themselves long term.

Totally agree, that's why I said earlier that Howe doesn't seem like the type of manager to just throw money at any old player, he'll be looking for the right signings and if they cost a big wedge then so be it. It just means that out of the promoted sides they'll have a better chance than most of surviving.

Looking at the fixtures, I can see Ipswich dropping out and Brentford nipping in.

As it stands (at half time) you're half right; Derby dropping out and Brentford up to sixth.

Edit: Second goal has put Brentford up to fifth above Ipswich on goals scored. If Derby equalise against Reading that'll be four teams tied and Brentford and Derby will be in. Probably lots of twists to come though.

Last minute equaliser for Sheff Wed at Watford makes Bournemouth champions. Brentford get fifth and Ipswich sixth.

Derby go from top of the league near the end of Feb to finish eighth with twelve points from the last thirteen games. Shocking.

So far it's

Brentford 1 - 2 Boro

Ipswich 1 - Norwich

I'm guessing Norwich takes it at home and Boro closes it out too. I hope Norwich is the one that makes it back up.

Brentford by choice, then Ipswich (because they've been out longer), then Norwich. Anyone but 'Boro.

thanks mike, the cultural norms and attitudes towards certain teams are something i miss as an american. it's kinda like our football, if you're not a cowboys fan you hate them with all you are. but if you weren't culturally in the states you wouldn't get that much like i didn't get the boro thing.

I hate the Cowboys and the Giants. Franchises more than teams...

That's boro through to the next match then. Norwich or Ipswich.

I'd like Ipswich purely because they've not had a chance in recent years while Norwich have.

Ipswich story. In 1978 me and my brother and two mates had a holiday on a boat on the Norfolk Broads (good fun) and when it finished we had to drive home via Ipswich in the morning of the day they were playing the FA Cup final v Arsenal. Knew this was going to happen (obviously) before we left home so me + bro took our old red and white Guildford City scarves, the local club we'd supported as kids who were by then defunct. So we drove through Ipswich, which was a sea of blue, with red and white scarves hanging out of the windows :lol:.

Actually wanted them to beat the Arse and was delighted they did but did we get some abuse! There were people on every motorway bridge waving until they saw us and the waves became less complimentary :D. Good job nobody took real offence because we were in a knackered old Triumph Herald with a top speed of about 50mph so easy prey.

Happy days, can't believe it was so long ago :(.

• 2 weeks later...