IGNORED

Kara Mbodj

• 3 years later...

my only concern with signing African players is that we can lose them for a chunk of the season, arguably the most important part of the season when it comes to having bodies around.

No idea about this lad though. Maybe our resident Belgians can shed some light?

• 1 year later...

Are you saying this fella is crap, J? :shaking fist:

I'm suggesting that if we really want to make the step up, we need some proven top quality additions to do so. I have no issue with finding the odd diamond in the rough but I wouldn't want all of our transfer activity to be players of this ilk (who may or may not be good enough). It's too much of a risk in my mind, especially when the likes of Stoke and Leicester can now afford (and attract) good quality players.

I'm not so hung up on big names, Koulibably as an example (not a flashy player with a big rep) someone who's just a bloody good player who'd fit into any team in the league. He is proven in a better league and in a good team. Has the experience and the world knows he can play!

I'm pretty sure you could get him for less than that 6.2m release clause if Everton are genuinely interested. In fact, quite a few Anderlecht fans seem to think they themselves should upgrade on him. Can't tell you much about him myself, other than that he's a very imposing physical presence.

Remember that Anderlecht players are typically expensive. It's the only Belgian team where you hardly ever get a good deal. Genk, Club Brugge and Standard are typically better quality for price. Kevin De Bruyne, Thibault Courtois, Carlos Bacca, Axel Witsel, Junior Malanda (God rest his soul), Ivan Perisic and so on were all sold for very little (all under 10 million) and grew to be top class or world class footballers, either way, they all at least tripled their transfer fees in their next transfers (Malanda would have easily done so and for Courtois it's more as a figure of speech).

Anderlecht is a different case though. They successfully profiled themselves at the "elite" of Belgium (in reality, the top teams in Belgium are usually pretty equal). So be weary. Mbodj is not the kind of prolific top talent that belongs in that little list of mine up here. Kabasele (now at Watford since this summer) and Engels are considered better, more solid central defenders from the Belgian competition. But who knows, Mbodj is by no means a bad player, he's Anderlecht's best CD.

Edited by Mirallas

Remember that Anderlecht players are typically expensive. It's the only Belgian team where you hardly ever get a good deal. Genk, Club Brugge and Standard are typically better quality for price. Kevin De Bruyne, Thibault Courtois, Carlos Bacca, Axel Witsel, Junior Malanda (God rest his soul), Ivan Perisic and so on were all sold for very little (all under 10 million) and grew to be top class or world class footballers, either way, they all at least tripled their transfer fees in their next transfers (Malanda would have easily done so and for Courtois it's more as a figure of speech).

Anderlecht is a different case though. They successfully profiled themselves at the "elite" of Belgium (in reality, the top teams in Belgium are usually pretty equal). So be weary. Mbodj is not the kind of prolific top talent that belongs in that little list of mine up here. Kabasele (now at Watford since this summer) and Engels are considered better, more solid central defenders from the Belgian competition. But who knows, Mbodj is by no means a bad player, he's Anderlecht's best CD.

Napoli bought Kalidou Koulibaly from Genk for 6.5m as well and he was better than Mbodj.