IGNORED

All right, pet?

Given how we're indulging in personal conversations while waiting for an announcement on manager, I thought I'd start a discussion on pets.

In our house, there are two dogs and one cat. All three animals were rescued from the local pound.

The older dog is a really strange concoction of breeds and was probably a lifelong stray. While no-one really wanted him (because he is odd-looking), the staff at the pound really didn't want to put him down because he was so genuinely bright and perky, so they kept putting off euthanizing him. They were delighted when my youngest son struck an instant rapport with him and we brought the dog home. We were so intrigued about him, we actually did a 'Doggie DNA' test, which came back with the five breeds most unlike him (and unlike each other) - which signifies that his primary breed is simply not in their database. We have a sneaking suspicion, based on size, appearance, habits, ability to catch local wildlife, etc., that he's half-coyote. The other half could be something like husky. Anyway, he's been a wonderful family pet who's now getting on in years.

The second dog was taken to the pound when his owner couldn't cope with him. He was still a puppy but so obviously friendly and full of life. His bad habit is jumping up, and no amount of training has been able to stop him from doing this. You can't help but love him, though, and he too is a wonderful family pet. We believe he's half black labrador and half doberman. He certainly grew to be bigger than expected! Both of them are excellent guard dogs. We put an invisible fence around the back yard (which includes a hill and several large trees) so they can roam around freely during the day if they so choose.

The cat is more recent. After picking me up from the airport one time, my wife gingerly announced that she'd rescued a young cat from the pound. She's perhaps the smallest cat I've seen, and my wife, daughter, and third son adore her. Whereas she gets on well with the younger dog, the older one licks his lips every time the cat is in sight, so we've had to divide the house in two: the dog half and the cat half.

What gets me about dogs is how overwhelmingly pleased they are to see you again even if you're away only for an hour or so or you're greeting them in the morning. The cat, on the other hand, couldn't care less how long you're away as long as she's fed on time.

Grew up with a dog and it died, was pretty sad so my parents got another.

My wife wants a dog but she's never had one so that means she will take care of it for a month and then I'm stuck with it. No thanks. I have a young child and once I perfect the technique (of having a child, sorry bad joke) hopefully another young child so no pets for me. Kids will be enough.

I do love how the dogs genuinely care for you and love you though, a real bond as mans best friend.

Edited by markjazzbassist

We have a dog called Rudie (after Rudie can't fail by The Clash) and a bearded dragon called Bones. I've posted a picture of the dog on the forum somewhere, he's only tiny and he's a kittle mongrel again who no one wanted. Before them we had a British Blue Shorthair called Wilf but someone stole him out the back garden ??

When I was younger I was bird mad, I had an aviary in my back garden of my parents house keeping zebra finches and canaries, that progressed to an owl and a buzzard and at one time I had a pet crow I rescued when I found some younger kids had scragged the nest and drowned the chicks (caught them about to send the last one off on a faft in to the local canal) I had him for years he was tame but still a bit wild. He used to walk along the road with me like a dog cawing away it was a funny sight I suppose thinking back.

I also had 2 pitbulls before they were banned inthis country. I had to hand one over to the police but I managed to find one a home ona farm in Wigan where he would escape the needle and he's still alive and well to this day.

I have a black lab called Jake. We had him when he was a year old, he was training to be a gun dog but unfortunately the key thing for a gun dog is not to be scared of bangs!!! FAIL!! So we took him on, and what a struggle it was! At first he wouldn't move from his bed in the utility room, then week by week would explore a different room, until the tv was switched on. Didn't like the tv for at least six months. Would take him for a walk, but would firmly plant his arse on the floor if he saw someone coming the other way!!! Took him at least 6-8 months for him to wag his tail at us! Now he's 12, deaf as doorpost but still going strong, he came on well through the years, still a bit of a scardy cat but have a little boy helped him, he didn't have a choice but to be pulled and poked, so that actual helped with his confidence!

Edited by mogsy

A dog and a cat. Had the dog since a pup and he's such a soft shite it's not even funny. He's the wimpiest dog I have ever known, scared of everything, but I absolutely love him for it to be honest. His patheticness makes him adorable :lol:. And he's so loving that it'd be impossible not to love him in turn.

The cat was rescued when we were on a visit to the vet. She couldn't be more different from the dog; she bullies him, and is not affectionate in the slightest! But shes gorgeous despite all that. Steve; it's true what they say about cats - you don't own a cat, they own you!

A dog and a cat. Had the dog since a pup and he's such a soft shite it's not even funny. He's the wimpiest dog I have ever known, scared of everything, but I absolutely love him for it to be honest. His patheticness makes him adorable :lol:. And he's so loving that it'd be impossible not to love him in turn.

The cat was rescued when we were on a visit to the vet. She couldn't be more different from the dog; she bullies him, and is not affectionate in the slightest! But shes gorgeous despite all that. Steve; it's true what they say about cats - you don't own a cat, they own you!

Ours is the oppositel he's tiny but thinks he's Jonny Concrete, he's not scared of anything which is not a good thing when you're half a foot tall and want to have a staightner with a Rotweiller!!!

He's daft with people though and will do absolutely anything for a chocolate biscuit.

I had a black lab named Luna who wouldn't harm a flea -- she passed last July due to cancer -- the decision to put her down was the hardest moment in my life, as pathetic as that sounds.

I picked her up from a local humane society and the fact I miss her so much has kept me from getting another one, but I'm sure I will again someday.

She taught me the true meaning of unconditional love and still think about her every day.

Not trying to be a downer -- I'm definitely grateful to the universe for having met her.

Now everyone go hug your pets tonight.

Petless now. Had some goldfish called Freeman, Hardy and Willis as a kid but they all died. Then a cat called Darby (after a local footballer) but he died also.

Then we had cats called Ziggy and Stardust. brother had just bought the album; Ziggy got run over but Stardust we had for many years .

Got a rabbit called (imaginatively) Dylan for Josh when he was little, lovely companion who we had for 11/12 years before he died the night before we went on holiday in 2013.

Wife/Josh want a cat, I've vetoed it. Not a dog person.

Petless now. Had some goldfish called Freeman, Hardy and Willis as a kid but they all died. Then a cat called Darby (after a local footballer) but he died also.

Then we had cats called Ziggy and Stardust. brother had just bought the album; Ziggy got run over but Stardust we had for many years .

Got a rabbit called (imaginatively) Dylan for Josh when he was little, lovely companion who we had for 11/12 years before he died the night before we went on holiday in 2013.

Wife/Josh want a cat, I've vetoed it. Not a dog person.

So basically any pet that's unlucky enough to get you as an owner is destined for the great gig in the sky.

I had a black lab named Luna who wouldn't harm a flea -- she passed last July due to cancer -- the decision to put her down was the hardest moment in my life, as pathetic as that sounds.

I picked her up from a local humane society and the fact I miss her so much has kept me from getting another one, but I'm sure I will again someday.

She taught me the true meaning of unconditional love and still think about her every day.

Not trying to be a downer -- I'm definitely grateful to the universe for having met her.

It's not stupid mate, some people love their pets dearly and there is nothing wrong with that. A lad I work with lost his American Bulldog over 2 years ago and the whole family are still devastated. You go in the house and there is a photo of him on the mantelpiece still.

I learned the hard way that it takes time to get over the loss of a beloved pet.

We promised our children they could have a dog once there was no child in the house under 3 years old. We have six children, and about every three years, my wife would say those magical words to the children: "We have some good news to tell you: you're going to have a little brother or sister." This would be greeted by excited smiles - and then groans: "but we wanted a dog!" Then, finally, came the moment when our youngest turned 3, and a delegation showed up in our front room: "Can we go buy a dog?" Friends of ours had puppies they were giving away, so we drove over and brought one home.

"Mischief" was our first family dog, and, a couple of years later, we rescued our current older dog (imaginatively called Spot) from the pound to be a companion for her. On one occasion, someone collecting donated clothes for veterans came up the driveway while Mischief was outside. He kicked her hard with his hobnail boots, and we had neighbours calling us to check all was okay, so loud was her scream. From that moment on, she would go for any man who came to the house. We had to put her in her crate whenever a man came around. Still, she lived to be quite old, although gradually becoming blind.

Then, maybe three years ago, Mischief didn't recognize my wife and bit her. Even though she immediately knew what she'd done and put her ears down, we knew we had to put her down. Our oldest son flew in especially from Denver to be there, and a very sad crew traveled to the vet's office. Most of the family were in tears as she slowly ebbed away. Soon after, my wife and younger daughter went to visit our second son in North Carolina. While they were there, I went to the pound and brought home our younger dog as a surprise: "Rascal." Honestly, my wife was quite upset with me because she hadn't got over Mischief's death, which is a lesson I've now learned and a mistake I won't repeat. Still, Rascal soon won over everyone's heart. Once again, we're a 2-dog family.

I also grew up in a house where my mother had lots of dogs and cats. I love dogs. I have two, every time I go home, They are my stress reliever from work. Its really a nice feeling when you get home they are there to greet you happily.

Never been a dog person, though I get on with a few; my brother's Labrador being one. I could just never deal with picking up their shit in a little bag and swinging it like an accessory until I get to a bin.

While I'm out walking my idea of hell is being engaged in conversation by someone carrying a bag of the stuff.

Having said that I'm glad (most) dog owners now pick up rather than leaving it for me to step in, which is how it always used to be.

There's a footpath that runs behind the back of my garden and you get the occasional recidivist, if I see it happen I tell them off ("oh I forgot my bag" is the usual reply) but someone has taken to spray painting offending offerings with purple paint recently. Good idea.

I prefer the "collective responsibility" approach myself; if you're a dog owner and you see "mess" you pick it up whether it's your responsibility or not. Self policing, the bad owners would hopefully be put straight by the good ones soon enough.

My little girl who was four at the time found one and kept it in the back garden for a month or so always chatting to it called it Frank of all names a kid could come up with!

Anyway this snail had died gone black and decomposed and she didn't realise/know that she was talking to an empty shell I couldn't help but laugh as I watched her out the back garden trying to feed it etc ha anyway felt a tight bugger and got her a kitten "chalkie" who's about four months old now and he's a little shit tbh

Grew up a dog person my old man always had dogs when I was young mainly Patterdale terriers and the odd Lurcher so hoping to get a pup in the future when the little lads abit older

Edited by EFC-Paul

In the (very funny) film "What we did on our Holiday" the little girl has a rock called Eric and half a breeze block called Norman. Think all children should be encouraged down this line, they're far easier to look after and cost considerably less to feed than animals.

In the (very funny) film "What we did on our Holiday" the little girl has a rock called Eric and half a breeze block called Norman. Think all children should be encouraged down this line, they're far easier to look after and cost considerably less to feed than animals.

true, but if you scare them the shit bricks