IGNORED

Travel in today's world

Cornish Steve

A couple of weeks ago, I started a new job, one that requires me to work in the New York area. Every Monday, I'm taking a 6am flight from Atlanta, arriving in Newark a little after 8am so I'm in my office by 9am. Every Friday, I leave the office around 3:30pm, take a flight home from Newark, and am in my house before 8:30pm. If I book flights in advance, the one-way airfare can be as low as $69. That's quite amazing. So far, these flights have been on time, if not a little early.

During the week, I use Airbnb to stay. The place this past week was, net, about $50/night. I had a room, bathroom, and lounge area in a big, beautiful house in a really safe and upmarket neighbourhood. For four nights, that's $200/week. Lyft (an Uber competitor) gets me to/from the airport for $40 each way, while a colleague takes me to/from the office every day (a 7-minute journey). Add all this up, and the net cost is about $100/workday (that's about 75 pounds). When living in Britain, it used to cost me more than that every day just to take the train to/from work in London!

Isn't the world amazing today? It's now practical for someone like me to work 800 miles from home for less than the cost of a daily commute to London.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Isn't the world amazing today? It's now practical for someone like me to work 800 miles from home for less than the cost of a daily commute to London.

Absolutely. Does the new job put an end to your globetrotting days Steve? My brother, who travelled the World for a couple of decades, decided last year it was time (at 58) to come home full time. He hates it; going for an interview in Hamburg next week to go back to his old ways.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Absolutely. Does the new job put an end to your globetrotting days Steve? My brother, who travelled the World for a couple of decades, decided last year it was time (at 58) to come home full time. He hates it; going for an interview in Hamburg next week to go back to his old ways.

I shall probably attend meetings outside the country once or twice a year, but no more than that. Yes, it will be a relief - especially given the new edict from Donald Trump that I'd have to be interviewed prior to every flight back to the US. Other than weekly commuting from Atlanta, I won't even have to travel the country that much - maybe once or twice a quarter.

12 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I shall probably attend meetings outside the country once or twice a year, but no more than that. Yes, it will be a relief - especially given the new edict from Donald Trump that I'd have to be interviewed prior to every flight back to the US. Other than weekly commuting from Atlanta, I won't even have to travel the country that much - maybe once or twice a quarter.

Being nosey Steve but is this an alternative role with your existing company or have you switched employers? Second option would appear to be a big step for someone of our generation:).

I frequently fly for recreational reasons from Bristol to Spain, Portugal and Newcastle, it never ceases to amaze me how cheap flights can be if booked in advance and your not to restricted to days and times, I have regularly gone out for meals that cost me more than a return flight to Murcia, which I go to for a long weekend at least once a month, then Malaga, Faro and Newcastle at least twice each a year.

Probably costs an average of 3,800 for 28 return flights, if I didn't have to take the Mrs on the Murcia and Newcastle trips it would be a lot cheaper not to mention more enjoyable.

On 29/10/2017 at 06:59, Palfy said:

I frequently fly for recreational reasons from Bristol to Spain, Portugal and Newcastle, it never ceases to amaze me how cheap flights can be if booked in advance and your not to restricted to days and times, I have regularly gone out for meals that cost me more than a return flight to Murcia, which I go to for a long weekend at least once a month, then Malaga, Faro and Newcastle at least twice each a year.

Probably costs an average of 3,800 for 28 return flights, if I didn't have to take the Mrs on the Murcia and Newcastle trips it would be a lot cheaper not to mention more enjoyable.

What's the Murcia attraction Palfy? We're looking at grabbing a late week somewhere next month; Greece is our normal destination but it "shuts" after October. Only been to Spain (mainland and islands) about five times and not really grabbed me; we'd be looking for peace and quiet and self catering rather than luxury. Can get us there from Bristol for about £240 so not a bad price. Sell it to me:P.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

What's the Murcia attraction Palfy? We're looking at grabbing a late week somewhere next month; Greece is our normal destination but it "shuts" after October. Only been to Spain (mainland and islands) about five times and not really grabbed me; we'd be looking for peace and quiet and self catering rather than luxury. Can get us there from Bristol for about £240 so not a bad price. Sell it to me:P.

We have a Villa there in Pilar de Campa Verde which is between Torrevieja and La Manga, it can be very quiet at that time of year, personally at that time of year I would head to the Costa del sol, and stay in Benalmadena they have lovely Port surrounded by good restaurant's and bars, you could even hire a car for a couple of days and head in land Sierra Nevada white villages such as Mijas or Ronda, or drive down to Gibraltar which would be an hour and twenty minutes away, or maybe stay in Mijas stunning scenery, Google them areas and check them out Mike you might see something you like.

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We have a Villa there in Pilar de Campa Verde which is between Torrevieja and La Manga, it can be very quiet at that time of year, personally at that time of year I would head to the Costa del sol, and stay in Benalmadena they have lovely Port surrounded by good restaurant's and bars, you could even hire a car for a couple of days and head in land Sierra Nevada white villages such as Mijas or Ronda, or drive down to Gibraltar which would be an hour and twenty minutes away, or maybe stay in Mijas stunning scenery, Google them areas and check them out Mike you might see something you like.

Thanks for that, I hire a car for the duration wherever we stay so explore far and wide; food for thought:).

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

Once played golf at Mijas.  We were walking down the fairway, having played our drives, when a massive bull with massive horns came tearing down the fairway towards us, chased by two Spanish guys.  Fortunately, there was a deep bunker adjacent to us and we dived in there for safety.  Put the golfing term 'outside agency' into perspective!

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

99% convinced of booking a place near Mazarron @Palfy. Not remotely worried by it being quiet; that's exactly what we're looking for. The Boss likes the look of the place so I just need to sort a few logistics and we'll be off; if we hate it I'll blame you:P.

Mazarron is nice and your got mountains as a backdrop definitely going to need a car Mike there is a town close by called Cataenga which has really nice architecture and Roman ruins worth a trip. I hope you like it and have a good time the weather at the moment is 25-27 degrees rest of this week, if you don't have a good time give me a call for a refund:)

3 hours ago, johnh said:

Once played golf at Mijas.  We were walking down the fairway, having played our drives, when a massive bull with massive horns came tearing down the fairway towards us, chased by two Spanish guys.  Fortunately, there was a deep bunker adjacent to us and we dived in there for safety.  Put the golfing term 'outside agency' into perspective!

Sounds like extreme golfing.

On 31/10/2017 at 21:51, Palfy said:

Mazarron is nice and your got mountains as a backdrop definitely going to need a car Mike there is a town close by called Cataenga which has really nice architecture and Roman ruins worth a trip. I hope you like it and have a good time the weather at the moment is 25-27 degrees rest of this week, if you don't have a good time give me a call for a refund:)

Just trying to book and I can't find the f'king apartment I was looking at:majoroverreactionalert:.

Image result for banging head against computer gif

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

How you getting on Mike.

Pretty good thanks mate, cloudless skies and 20C+ every day thus far (chilly at night though). Found a cracking bar/restaurant yesterday after a couple of duds where we had lunch today at €13 each for four courses, far too much to eat! Off to Cartagena tomorrow to look at the amphitheatre which looks spectacular! Apartment is superb.

It's not turned us from being Greece people but it's been peaceful and a nice break.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Pretty good thanks mate, cloudless skies and 20C+ every day thus far (chilly at night though). Found a cracking bar/restaurant yesterday after a couple of duds where we had lunch today at €13 each for four courses, far too much to eat! Off to Cartagena tomorrow to look at the amphitheatre which looks spectacular! Apartment is superb.

It's not turned us from being Greece people but it's been peaceful and a nice break.

You've been fortunate with the weather Mike it's nice to feel the sun on your back when you know it's freezing back home.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Safe trip :)

Thanks Matt. Apparently they had a vibration on landing and need an engineer to look at it but there isn't one here so they need to find one. My brother works for Airbus and says the A320 is uber reliable and virtually never breaks down so we just got unlucky. Fortunately it's a decent airport if a bit warm; could do with some fresh air 😔.