IGNORED

Going to Goodison

shaunliam

6 hours ago, shaunliam said:

Hey everyone, if you recall I’m headed there for my first time April 20 for the United game. Been researching dates from other competitions and this one doesn’t seem at jeopardy for postponement. Can someone with any more knowledge confirm that? That would be the worst. 

I'd be very surprised if that game doesn't get moved. 

23 minutes ago, shaunliam said:

You mean moved to a different time that weekend? That I’m good with, a postponement would be awful. But I looked at FA and champions and they don’t seem to be scheduled that weekend. 

You'll be fine then, CL is all midweek (final aside) and FA Cup week-ends are set aside for the Cup, no league games scheduled until the quarter final stage where cup takes precedence but April 20/21 isn'tt a cup w/e. .

1 hour ago, shaunliam said:

You mean moved to a different time that weekend? That I’m good with, a postponement would be awful. But I looked at FA and champions and they don’t seem to be scheduled that weekend. 

It could get moved to a Monday night, but the more likely would be Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. 

Yeah I'm good with that, we're over there from Friday am till Thursday, although a Monday move would set us back for getting up to Scotland for a few days. I'm also hoping the game is a different day than Shitty vs Spurs at Etihad, might try to make it over for that one as well while we're there. 

Also if anyone has any recommendations on things to do or see just outside of Liverpool that would be great. Change of plans lately in that my wife will be 5 months pregnant and we may not drive as much as originally intended. We love natural areas, maybe some nice hikes or something along the coast we need to check out? 

• 1 month later...

Hey all, our trip is getting close! Only a few weeks now, ramping up our planning attempts. I know folks gave recommendations of things earlier, we had a great Air B and B right across from Goodison but that fell thru. Anyone have an affordable hotel they like that is easy access to Goodison and City Center? Or a particular neighborhood we should look for an Air B and B in? Thanks! 

8 hours ago, shaunliam said:

Hey all, our trip is getting close! Only a few weeks now, ramping up our planning attempts. I know folks gave recommendations of things earlier, we had a great Air B and B right across from Goodison but that fell thru. Anyone have an affordable hotel they like that is easy access to Goodison and City Center? Or a particular neighborhood we should look for an Air B and B in? Thanks! 

Liverpool pool is quite a small city so location wise shouldn't be too much of a worry. A taxi will cost you about £10 for a 7 mile journey which would get you to Goodison from most places in Liverpool. 

Hotel wise Booking.com is a good place to start. 

http://www.booking.com/Share-RGmV8JI

Anywhere in the centre would do. I’m happy to walk from the centre to GP or you can get a bus from St Johns Lane on match days for a few quid.

Also I’d recommend passing Prince Rupert Tower. 

Hilton Liverpool Centre is nicely positioned. 

20 hours ago, shaunliam said:

Even if you don't stay too close to goodison, as Pete said a taxi would be good or getting a train to sandhills and getting the soccorbus (you can get a train ticket with the soccorbus included in the price) or you could get a train to kirkdale and walk 10-15 minutes (will take you a couple of hours though if you stop in one of the pubs on the way 😜

If you're a first timer at goodison get yourself in the gwladys street end, you'll love it! 

Enjoy your trip and I hope you and your wife get to see us take 3 points. 

Thanks everyone, my wife ended up booking us at a Hotel Indigo. Barry I’d be up for walking to Goodison but my pregnant wife will probably veto that. Aidan I am a first timer and thought about Gwladys end but scored some first row in the Paddock, towards that end tho so hopefully will get to experience it some. 

How bout game day? Probably walk around Anfield in the morning just to see it then hit The Winslow for pregame beers?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, shaunliam said:

Forgot to tell everyone that we greatly enjoyed our trip! The food, the drink, the Beatles Tour, the Cavern Club, and of course the 4-0 ass whooping of United was all amazing! Thanks for the tips everyone, can't wait to get back.

shaunliam,  really enjoyed reading about your first trip to Goodison, a very special place.  I couldn't get involved in giving advice on the trip. I was born in Liverpool in 1936 but moved away in 1951, so my advice would be a tad out of date.  I could have told you about our good chippy but its probably not there any more. Gone the way of the other one which the Germans bombed!  You couldn't have picked a better game for your first than the Man U one - do you advise on lottery numbers?  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rubecula said:

Shaun (below) had his first visit to Goodison. 

On 09/05/2019 at 16:29, shaunliam said:

Forgot to tell everyone that we greatly enjoyed our trip! The food, the drink, the Beatles Tour, the Cavern Club, and of course the 4-0 ass whooping of United was all amazing! Thanks for the tips everyone, can't wait to get back.