IGNORED

Keep/Sell - Summer 2020 Edition

Throughout the upcoming transfer windows, I agree with Marcel Brands that we should be looking to bring in 2-3 players maximum however hypothetically speaking, which of the below players would you actually want to keep at Everton? The amount of deadwood has been famously lingering for a while now, so there's probably a ton from the Koeman/Walsh era that could be shifted. Perhaps this is the summer that we finally clear the decks, and can move forward over the next coming windows by adding genuine quality?

image.png.156a54bbdab2519b0c4d18bcc45a14ef.png

Stay (18) Pickford, Holgate, Baines, Keane, Richarlison, DCL, Sigurdsson, Digne, Mina, Bernard, Gomes, Coleman, Kean, Branthwaite, Virginia, Baningime, Adeniran, Gordon

Bin (9) Delph, Walcott, Tosun, Iwobi, Sidibe, Stekelenburg, Niasse, Martina, Besic

Undecided (2): Gbamin, Davies

Again, hypothetically speaking, 18 players is a decent squad size to start the summer with. With Jonjoe Kenny coming back from Schalke (who I'd use in rotation with Coleman) we'd have 19, meaning 4 signings would make up the 23 man squad - assuming we don't promote anyone from the Academy (Bowler/Gibson perhaps?). I'm undecided about whether I'd be open to offers for Davies (I really don't know if he's ever going to be at the standard we need) or Gbamin (the biggest glass statue I've ever seen) so they could if need be added to the 19 to make 21, before new signings. 

It'll be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts..

45 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Throughout the upcoming transfer windows, I agree with Marcel Brands that we should be looking to bring in 2-3 players maximum however hypothetically speaking, which of the below players would you actually want to keep at Everton? The amount of deadwood has been famously lingering for a while now, so there's probably a ton from the Koeman/Walsh era that could be shifted. Perhaps this is the summer that we finally clear the decks, and can move forward over the next coming windows by adding genuine quality?

image.png.156a54bbdab2519b0c4d18bcc45a14ef.png

Stay (18) Pickford, Holgate, Baines, Keane, Richarlison, DCL, Sigurdsson, Digne, Mina, Bernard, Gomes, Coleman, Kean, Branthwaite, Virginia, Baningime, Adeniran, Gordon

Bin (9) Delph, Walcott, Tosun, Iwobi, Sidibe, Stekelenburg, Niasse, Martina, Besic

Undecided (2): Gbamin, Davies

Again, hypothetically speaking, 18 players is a decent squad size to start the summer with. With Jonjoe Kenny coming back from Schalke (who I'd use in rotation with Coleman) we'd have 19, meaning 4 signings would make up the 23 man squad - assuming we don't promote anyone from the Academy (Bowler/Gibson perhaps?). I'm undecided about whether I'd be open to offers for Davies (I really don't know if he's ever going to be at the standard we need) or Gbamin (the biggest glass statue I've ever seen) so they could if need be added to the 19 to make 21, before new signings. 

It'll be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts..

Good post and thread!

for me - 

Stay (16) Pickford, Holgate, Baines, Richarlison, DCL, Digne, Mina, Bernard, Gomes, Coleman, Kean, Besic, Davies, Gbamin, Gordon, Kenny 

Loan -  Virginia, Baningime, Aderniran, Branthwaite

Sell - Sigurdson, Delph, Walcott, Tosun, Niasse, Sidibe, Keane, Martina, Stek

great thread Zoo.

I don't know enough about the youngsters to have a say, so i'm going to omit them (bar Beni and Gordon who i have seen play)

Stay (20) Pickford, Lossl, Holgate, Keane, Mina, Digne, Baines, Coleman, Kenny, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin, Beni, Besic, Bernard, Gordon, Walcott, Kean, Richarlison, DCL

Bin (9) Delph, Tosun, Iwobi, Sidibe, Stekelenburg, Niasse, Martina, Virginia, Gylfi

I'd request a starting RW (keep walcott for bench/cup/cover), starting CM to pair with Gomes, and a young CB to rotate in (i see holgate/mina as the starters) and eventually be a starter.

Yep, good one Zoo!

Similar thoughts....

Keep: Pickford (starter), Holgate (starter & most improved player this season), Baines (reliable back-up & exp pro), Richarlison (starter, only threat / flair), DCL (starter, still to improve), Walcott (rotation), Digne (starter, needs to get back to prev season perfromances), Mina (starter, although free kick waiting to happen), Bernard (rotation), Gomes (starter, needs the right CM next to him), Coleman (rotation), Gbamin (get him fit and decide at end of 2020/21), Davies (rotation), Kean (rotation, decide at end of 2020/21), Branthwaite (keep in U23 to play and then bench on PL match days if numbers short), Virginia (loan out to mid Champ team), Baningime (loan out [if possible] or same as Branthwaite), Adeniran (loan out to mid Champ team), Gordon (rotation).

Move on: Keane (not good enough), Delph (hes no Barry & wages high), Siggy (round peg, square hole), Tosun (not good enough), Iwobi (panic buy, coasting), Sidibe (not good enough), Steke (already leaving), Niasse (panic buy, not good enough), Martina (other than versatility, offers nothing), Besic (1 good WC game, not good enough).

Realistically I can only see the last 5 of these moving on - maybe Siggy. Cant see anyone fighting over Keane or wanting to take Iwobi or Delph off us. Tosun may go again in Jan for Euros place (thats if fit) - althouhg interesting to hear Carlo did not want him to go to Palace back in January.

Based on this I think I'm looking at new CB, DCM*, CM, RW* players if we can - desperate for the starting * positions.....unless Gordon come through on RW or we move Richarlison there.

If Kenny wants to stay then he and Coleman can fight out starting RB position (Holgate back-up for injuries). No need to sign new RB here unless Kenny moves on.

No other current players out on loan look anywhere close to our PL squad. Lossl is also a strange one - he will not challenge and play enough games in starting XL next season but he needs games to match his National needs. I'd probably sell Lossl and find a decent ageing pro who is happy to be a bench warmer (younger than Steke) or go the other way and sign a youngster with better potential than Virginia who we can play in cup games and the odd league game here n there. Who these are I do not know.

I have a couple of conundrums: 1) Bernard - I like him and have his name on my shirt this season but, he just does not play enough. Unsure if he is on good wages or not (assume he is as he was a free transfer) but if we want to sell someone for decent money and lower wage bill then I would reluctantly move Bernard on too. 2) Just dont know what plan Carlo has in his head for next season in terms of formation and playing style - hard to see what positions we need to fill until knowing his preferred tactics.

He still hasn't signed a player yet for the first team.

I'd look at this slightly differently and maybe more ambitiously and start with who is good enough to challenge the top 4 and that list probably starts and ends with Richarlison and Pickford. Gomes would be next best but he has holes in him.

There are a handful of others that I would happily rely on as squad players and be confident in but I could happily see the back of most of this lot without being too concerned about how hard it would be to replace them.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I'd look at this slightly differently and maybe more ambitiously and start with who is good enough to challenge the top 4 and that list probably starts and ends with Richarlison and Pickford. Gomes would be next best but he has holes in him.

There are a handful of others that I would happily rely on as squad players and be confident in but I could happily see the back of most of this lot without being too concerned about how hard it would be to replace them.

Yeah I like this way of thinking.   Not sure Pickford is good enough for top 4 though.  

Calvert-Lewin is (on current form) top 4 material as is Mason.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

In an ideal world Bailey yes....but we are not in a position to suddenly sign 9 first teamers. That would take 2-3 seasons to achieve.

7 hours ago, jofanon said:

Yeah I like this way of thinking.   Not sure Pickford is good enough for top 4 though.  

Calvert-Lewin is (on current form) top 4 material as is Mason.

My view would be that there isnt a huge, if any difference between Lloris, De Gea, Schmeichel, Leno and Pickford. They are much of a muchness depending on what you prefer. He is better then Kepa. 

DCL is world's away from Kane, Aguero, Auba, Giroud (Werner to come), Firminho, Vardy and still a fair way behind Rashford, Martial at least technically. He has other attributes over those two at least. 

Holgate is close because there are some dogs of defenders but he would probably only get in the Arsenal 11.

6 hours ago, Cisk said:

In an ideal world Bailey yes....but we are not in a position to suddenly sign 9 first teamers. That would take 2-3 seasons to achieve.

I am aware of that and didn't say we should go and splurge on a new side but the fact of the matter is that season after season we need to add to that list of real quality players.