IGNORED

Opinions on Land Rover?

I do a lot of camping and pull a camper trailer (or caravan as you call it) and need a new tow vehicle.  They have a few models in my price range with the tow capacity i need.  I test drove one today and wasn’t familiar with the brand, come to find out they are English.  

So im asking you guys what do you think of them?  Do they have a good reputation over there?  Anyone own them before and thoughts?

It's between the Land Rover, a Range Rover Sport or a Volvo XC60.  I drove the Volvo as well and loved it.

Well, Range Rover Sport is not nice vehicle in general, found it very cramped and confused as a vehicle. Land Rovers used to be built to live forever and go anywhere in any weather, not use if that's the case. Never liked Volvos as I found them overpriced for what they are and uncomfortable. But they are also solid cars, so if you found it a nice ride that's a good shout. 

Or Bowler Wildcat. That would be great :D

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I do a lot of camping and pull a camper trailer (or caravan as you call it) and need a new tow vehicle.  They have a few models in my price range with the tow capacity i need.  I test drove one today and wasn’t familiar with the brand, come to find out they are English.  

So im asking you guys what do you think of them?  Do they have a good reputation over there?  Anyone own them before and thoughts?

It's between the Land Rover, a Range Rover Sport or a Volvo XC60.  I drove the Volvo as well and loved it.

I have a Range Rover sport but don’t tow with it, if it’s not going to be the main or only family car then I would get a twin cab truck, all the luxury of a car with loads of room on the bed for storage and great for towing, I have a Nissan Navara, great for going to golf with 3 mates with all the clubs and suitcases. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Well, Range Rover Sport is not nice vehicle in general, found it very cramped and confused as a vehicle. Land Rovers used to be built to live forever and go anywhere in any weather, not use if that's the case. Never liked Volvos as I found them overpriced for what they are and uncomfortable. But they are also solid cars, so if you found it a nice ride that's a good shout. 

Or Bowler Wildcat. That would be great :D

My internet research shows similar to what you say Matt, Land Rover used to be awesome but their stuff now is rated the least reliable.  

Wouldn't go near a Land/Range Rover myself given what you get for your money; my "sensible" car is a Qashqai which maybe is not in the same convseration you're looking at (a compact crossover SUV I'm told) but it's been the most reliable and economical car I've ever had. Has also held its value very well in the four odd years I've had it, been tempted many times over the years to sell and buy something else but trouble free wheels are worth holding on to so I never have.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wouldn't go near a Land/Range Rover myself given what you get for your money; my "sensible" car is a Qashqai which maybe is not in the same convseration you're looking at (a compact crossover SUV I'm told) but it's been the most reliable and economical car I've ever had. Has also held its value very well in the four odd years I've had it, been tempted many times over the years to sell and buy something else but trouble free wheels are worth holding on to so I never have.

That don’t sell that model here and you’re right a compact crossover won’t tow they are too small.  What make is it?  Good info on the Land Rover, I’ve done more internet research and will steer clear in the future

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

That don’t sell that model here and you’re right a compact crossover won’t tow they are too small.  What make is it?  Good info on the Land Rover, I’ve done more internet research and will steer clear in the future

Qashqui is a Nissan, been a Peugeot driver virtually all my life but greatly impressed with it. You must be hauling heavy stuff if a car that size won't do it, maybe the regs over there are different; I know wife and I talked about a caravan several times in recent years and there was never any issue with the car not being up to it.

32 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’ve got a Honda cRV right now but it only does 1500 lbs.  I need 3000 lbs.  I’m looking in the mid size suv range.  I don’t want a full size, they are too big and gas guzzlers.

According to this ...

"The Honda CR-V is popular amongst the towing community for small to medium sized trailers. Most Honda CR-V models have a braked towing capacity of between 1500kg and 2000kg which is suitable for most single axle trailers and most caravans. In terms of its maximum performance for this towing weight, the main competitors include the Mazda CX-5 and Hyundai Tucson."

So that converts to between 3307lb and 4409lb. Are you saying your CR-V isn't legally allowed to tow over 1500lb? Would seem strange if regulations differed so dramatically. Using the same site my Qashqai is allowed to tow very nearly 3000lbs as well (1350kg/2976lb).

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

According to this ...

"The Honda CR-V is popular amongst the towing community for small to medium sized trailers. Most Honda CR-V models have a braked towing capacity of between 1500kg and 2000kg which is suitable for most single axle trailers and most caravans. In terms of its maximum performance for this towing weight, the main competitors include the Mazda CX-5 and Hyundai Tucson."

So that converts to between 3307lb and 4409lb. Are you saying your CR-V isn't legally allowed to tow over 1500lb? Would seem strange if regulations differed so dramatically. Using the same site my Qashqai is allowed to tow very nearly 3000lbs as well (1350kg/2976lb).

yes mike it's criminal, here in the states it's only rated for 1500, i pull my trailer because i looked up the Euro specs seeing that it can pull 3000 lbs.  Thing is if i get into an accident my insurance wont cover since the tech specs for US say only 1500 and i could be sued by the other driver for breaking those requirements.  I read online somewhere that most Euro speed limits are lower, and most aren't traveling that far, so they allow the higher loads.  Whereas in the US they go to the lowest common denominator because they have, due to so many lawsuits, etc.  it's the US, it doesn't surprise me sadly.  so i've towed for 2 years now without issue, but i'm ready to get another car (only have 1 vehicle for my family) and want it to be above board.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes mike it's criminal, here in the states it's only rated for 1500, i pull my trailer because i looked up the Euro specs seeing that it can pull 3000 lbs.  Thing is if i get into an accident my insurance wont cover since the tech specs for US say only 1500 and i could be sued by the other driver for breaking those requirements.  I read online somewhere that most Euro speed limits are lower, and most aren't traveling that far, so they allow the higher loads.  Whereas in the US they go to the lowest common denominator because they have, due to so many lawsuits, etc.  it's the US, it doesn't surprise me sadly.  so i've towed for 2 years now without issue, but i'm ready to get another car (only have 1 vehicle for my family) and want it to be above board.

Gotcha, makes sense now.

I’ve never bought a car in my life for practical purposes, I just think I like that and buy it. That philosophy seems to have served me well because I’ve never bought a motor and regretted it, but then again I’ve never bought a motor for a specific purpose other than to get me from A to B in relative comfort.