IGNORED

Young player compared to Gazza - What was his name?

Riscon

I remember a few years ago there was this young kid of 15 who was signed for about £1 million.

He was a huge prospect at the time, but had a horrible attitude and ended up in the lower leagues.

Can anyone help me remember his name? He had amazing skill like Gazza. Wondering what happened to him.

1 hour ago, badaids said:

Could be a number of players, but are you thinking of George Green?

I think we signed him from Hull in the early 2010s?  When he was 14 and then he got on the booze.

It does seem to me that Everton have a dispositionate amount of players that have issues with substances.

Bradford, not Hull. Pretty sure about that.

I feel like it was more than £1m too and we made a big play for him.

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Bradford, not Hull. Pretty sure about that.

I feel like it was more than £1m too and we made a big play for him.

According to the oracle that is Wikipedia it was indeed Bradford, in 2011; and the money was £300k potentially rising to £2m (don't imagine it rose much)with a £45k signing on fee.

Left in June 2015, an electrician now it seems.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18592347.ex-city-star-george-green-recalls-downfalls-looks-ahead/

On 20/02/2023 at 12:24, Riscon said:

I remember a few years ago there was this young kid of 15 who was signed for about £1 million.

He was a huge prospect at the time, but had a horrible attitude and ended up in the lower leagues.

Can anyone help me remember his name? He had amazing skill like Gazza. Wondering what happened to him.

Drugs.

He went into a massive downhill spiral. Drug addiction was the main culprit.

Was a player I followed closely as he was a star in the making. Still follow his twitter profile and he is continually warning people of the perils of not staying grounded and thinking yourself a star.

Still only 24 plenty of time for him to make a comeback and turn his footballing career around, you never lose your natural ability just your fitness and belief, if he can get them back and he was as good as people are saying then he has a bright future ahead of him. Personally I wish well and hope he gets to realise his dreams of making it as a professional footballer. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Still only 24 plenty of time for him to make a comeback and turn his footballing career around, you never lose your natural ability just your fitness and belief, if he can get them back and he was as good as people are saying then he has a bright future ahead of him. Personally I wish well and hope he gets to realise his dreams of making it as a professional footballer. 

Twenty-seven with less than a hundred games played in total in the last decade in fact, the last twenty-two with Ossett in tier seven.

No coming back from that I don't think sadly.

(And looking at their club website it seems he's no longer there)

46 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Twenty-seven with less than a hundred games played in total in the last decade in fact, the last twenty-two with Ossett in tier seven.

No coming back from that I don't think sadly.

(And looking at their club website it seems he's no longer there)

Why did I think still only 24 must have miss read it somewhere a long the line, I think you are sadly right not much chance of coming back at that age.