IGNORED

F1 Chat

• 3 weeks later...

This is becoming one of the sporting stories ever. Completely phenomenal...I'll even forgive him the "god" stuff...to come into a team as a complete rookie, partnering the undisputed best in the world and within six races to be beating him, leading the world championship, getting Alonso paranoid about being given less support...amazing. The way he won the race in Canada, continually having his lead taken away by the safety car coming out, would have screwed far more experienced drivers...hugely impressive.

Sports personality of the year come December no question (unless Andy Murray wins Wimbledon).

OMG did you see that race, it was fanfuckingtastic.

78 laps of grown up Scalextic, the critisism of the commentator that "Hamilton was 1/100th of a second faster in the last lap". Get a life, Andy Murray can go fuck himself too.

ATB

Mac

I GOT MORE EXCITEMENT, PLAYING WITH THE SCALEXTRIC. :)

Its not about Driving these days its all about tactics, depends if they decide on a 2 or 3 stop strategy, selection of soft or hard tyres, how much fuel they run with, and of course the speed and professionalism of the 59 members of the Pit Crews to get them back on the track in the fastest time.

Got to agree with Mac, totally boring to watch.

OMG did you see that race, it was fanfuckingtastic.

78 laps of grown up Scalextic, the critisism of the commentator that "Hamilton was 1/100th of a second faster in the last lap". Get a life, Andy Murray can go fuck himself too.

Sarcasm, duplicity and anatomical impossibilty all in one neat little package Mac...love it :lol: .

Its not about Driving these days its all about tactics, depends if they decide on a 2 or 3 stop strategy, selection of soft or hard tyres, how much fuel they run with, and of course the speed and professionalism of the 59 members of the Pit Crews to get them back on the track in the fastest time.

Can understand people not liking it (love Scalextric myself :D ), but you could put forward an argument that the very things you criticise it for Bill are the things that make it such a great team sport. Personally I find two cars side by side at 200mph seeing who has the balls to break last very exciting.

Each to his own though, some people even like Rugby League I'm told :lol: .

Mike ..... Personally I find two cars side by side at 200mph seeing who has the balls to break last very exciting.

It happened once in the whole Race, but on some tracks ( monaco ) overtaking is impossible.

Not saying i didnt admire the Drivers, just that its about as exciting to watch as the chess championships.

Would make it a better VIEWING Sport, if the grid placings where drawn from a hat for the first 3 races, after that the driver with the lowest points goes 1st on the grid and so on until the last man on the grid is the man with most points, a sort of handicapping, then you will see some OVERTAKING MANOUVRES. By the end of the season the championship points would be a lot Closer and involve a lot more Cars, Drivers and Teams.

Result ...... MORE INVOLVED equals MORE EXCITEMENT and MORE RACING.

The qualifying is a farce, the biggest and best teams are inevitably the first 3 or 4 on the Grid, can you tell me the last time anybody from outside those actually won a race. ???

You might as well do away with the actual race, because once your in front on the grid you will finish on the podium, barring a tyre burst, or an engine blow up.

Sorry but its Boring to me, just looking at a procession of cars going round and round the track, dont find that the least bit exciting.

But thats only my opinion. :)

Steve, would love to have an in depth Conversation with you about the way "All Sports" in general is going, but would be unable to do it on here, but just to put over my point, Tennis have their seeds, World Cup seeded into groups, Snooker top 32, FA Cup top teams exempt till 3rd round, and i'm sure there is a lot more but dont feel like researching at the mo.

This is all since the TV Companies have become the ruling bodies on how the sport is governed, they wouldnt want lesser players or lesser teams playing in any Finals it wouldnt produce the Spectacle they require, the reasoning behind keeping those big teams and players apart until the final rounds is to ensure it is a big spectacle, Rochdale versus Barnsley is a bit diferent than Man Utd versus Arsenal, That just would'nt do for them.

Think its a bit unfair on all the lesser players and clubs to have to knock each other out before the top teams even enter the comp, or the top players will only play each other when they are the only ones left in a competition.

If a competition is drawn out of a hat all the entrants should be in the hat from the Outset, they shouldnt be given any grace or favours cos it makes it an unfair competition.

I could go on for hours about this but i'll stop there. ;)

At Wimbledon up until 1921 the previous years Champion waited for everyone else to play until there was only one player left who then challenged him for the title. Not totally a TV thing, the public want to see (if not ManU/Chelsea) Coe/Ovett, Borg/McEnroe, Nicklaus/Watson, Ali/Frasier. I'm all for the underdog but the cream rises to the top inevitably.

Mike ......... "I'm all for the underdog but the cream rises to the top inevitably."

Yeah thats fine if it does it without help, but why should "the cream" be aided, and Dagenham and Redbridge, or any old Joe Bloggs be ignored. ???

PS .... cant remember Coe or Ovett being given a 20 metre start in any of their races, they had to start with the rest of the runners. :D

• 3 months later...

Blinding drive by Louis Hamilton this morning to virtually assure the Championship, Sports Personality of the Year, Knighthood and Sainthood. Needed to to it to back up what he's been saying this week, but in that weather...truly remarkable drive....the lad's a phenomenon. If it wasn't for the God bothering nonsense I'd be even more impressed.

He's actually twelve points clear, so you're right he needs nine to be certain. Massa and Raikkonen are contracted to Ferrarri next year but you never know. Can't see Alonso staying at McLaren 'cos the relationship's broken down completely I'd have thought. Anything could happen. Even talk of Jensen Button joining Hamilton at McLaren, he's done his reputation no harm at all this year even though he's been driving a Reliant Robin....love to see two Brits at a British team going for the Championship!

if alonso went to ferarri that would be interesting. if he struggles with a rookie next to him, how would he be with the ice man? this season seems to have really shook alonso. hopefully next year ferarri will get the car right from the start (which they've not done for a while) and rikkonen, alonso and hamilton can really get the competition exciting

Crap, he was going great as well, why the hell didn't his team send him in as soon as the problem arise, 3 laps before he went off!?

Beats me....strange decision by someone....you could see the canvas on his tyre (that's when I used to accept it was time to change the tyres on my motor bikes ;) ).

Ah well, makes for an interesting final race. Hamilton still favourite.

(great race for Button though)

Edited by MikeO

brazil will be interesting, cant wait.

i dont understand how we could see on the tv he needed new skins, but the pits didnt do anything about it. he didnt really need to start the battle with kimi, not when second place would have been enough and bald tyres.

hopefully he can still pull it off.

quick tip - put your money on kimi to win the 08 title

• 2 weeks later...