IGNORED

Beckford

The wording Grayson used was ambiguous:

"Pre-contract agreements aren't binding so both parties could pull out at any time. If he bangs in another 20 goals, there might be bigger teams than Everton coming in for him."

Perhaps it means Leeds and Everton need to agree that Beckford could go elsewhere?

Also, maybe it's one of those pre-contracts that can be sold to another club like a bond!

Beckford's 26 and he's out of contract. I think Grayson means that Beckford could pull out at any time if someone comes knocking.

I heard Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday saying a few weeks ago that he isn't good enough for the Prem and needs several chances to score (Andy Cole). I had no opinion of my own as I'd never seen him play.

However, I have a mate in work who is a Carlisle fan (as I think I mentioned before we played them in the cup) and I went with him to Leeds on Tuesday for the Johnstones Paint Northern Final First Leg. Unfortunately I have to report, albeit on a single performance, that Merson is correct. Beckford was one on one with the keeper FOUR times and fluffed them all as well as having at least another two very good chances to score without any success. His touch is poor and he went down in front of us on one occasion clutching his face when he wasn't touched (not something I like to see).

As I said, this is based on one performance and we all have a bad day but I really didn't see anything to impress me. He certainly wont get 4 or 5 chances per game in the Prem so would have to be far more clinical to succeed here.

I'm always ready to change my opinion or admit I'm wrong if it cmes to it but I wouldn't be getting too excited.

Has apparently agreed to join us on a free transfer in the summer.

However, Leeds Utd manager Simon Grayson says the pre-contract agreement is not binding.

Its a load of bollox because you cant sign a pre contract agreement for a club in the same country anyway!

I would also echo what sheedysheedy says about him. I used to be based in Harrogate so I know quite a few Leeds fans and none of them are particularly bothered about losing him and they all say the same thing about him needing several chances to score once

I heard Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday saying a few weeks ago that he isn't good enough for the Prem and needs several chances to score (Andy Cole). I had no opinion of my own as I'd never seen him play.

However, I have a mate in work who is a Carlisle fan (as I think I mentioned before we played them in the cup) and I went with him to Leeds on Tuesday for the Johnstones Paint Northern Final First Leg. Unfortunately I have to report, albeit on a single performance, that Merson is correct. Beckford was one on one with the keeper FOUR times and fluffed them all as well as having at least another two very good chances to score without any success. His touch is poor and he went down in front of us on one occasion clutching his face when he wasn't touched (not something I like to see).

As I said, this is based on one performance and we all have a bad day but I really didn't see anything to impress me. He certainly wont get 4 or 5 chances per game in the Prem so would have to be far more clinical to succeed here.

I'm always ready to change my opinion or admit I'm wrong if it cmes to it but I wouldn't be getting too excited.

I saw that part of Soccer Saturday and from what I have seen I would agree with him, and you.

I would say he is a short, English version of Jo. With his confidence up and in the mood he will score goals, but if he cant be arsed then the rest of the team will have to carry him. I certainly wouldnt pay money for him, but if we can get him on a free with relatively low wages Id be fairly happy. If it doesnt work out then we can sell him for a couple of milllion and get a small profit.

I've watched him a few times on the box, he is another Stewy Barlow...crap

I've got quite a few mates who are leeds fans and none of them are bothered about him going, one of them who watches as many games as he can has been saying 'sell him for 50p if you have to' the last couple of weeks. I've watched a few games on tv myself this season and it's not just the fact that he seems to need about 10 chances to score one goal but also he can be very selfish, in fact I remember when they played the RS they might have won if he'd passed to someone clear in the box but instead he took it on himself and ran into wall of players. He adds almost nothing to the game apart from goals and he aint gonna be getting 20-30 goals in the prem is he?

I did hear what merson said about him and I was nodding my head in agreement, I don't want him here unless we're paying him next to nothing in wages, but given our financial position that probably isn't far from the truth!

Edited by Blue Oz

Much rather get a decent striker on loan, and if Vaughan, Annichebe, Saha, and Yakubu don't do the business for us for the next 5 months, we can sell the lot and get a few Good Reliable and I stress reliable top class FIT strikers in the Summer.

Every one of our strikers has injury problems, not so much injuries with Yakubu, just that he has a tendency to drift around quite a bit, put weight on and lose his fitness. (lazy bastard is what I'm trying to say).

The striker department has troubled us for years, if we can get that right we can be a very good side, well able to mix it with the best. :)

Much rather get a decent striker on loan, and if Vaughan, Annichebe, Saha, and Yakubu don't do the business for us for the next 5 months, we can sell the lot and get a few Good Reliable and I stress reliable top class FIT strikers in the Summer.

Every one of our strikers has injury problems, not so much injuries with Yakubu, just that he has a tendency to drift around quite a bit, put weight on and lose his fitness. (lazy bastard is what I'm trying to say).

The striker department has troubled us for years, if we can get that right we can be a very good side, well able to mix it with the best. :)

David Villa has stated his desire to come to the premier league, he's pretty reliable with fitness :lol: