IGNORED

Beckford

What I do like about Beckford is that he's a cocky bastard and he's got great belief in his ability, and we could do with players who believe in themselves when they come up against the best because too many times as a side we bottle it when it really matters.

I think that says everthing about your belief and nothing about the players

There's always a signing-on fee, it's just that the player can usually command a larger one as it's obvious that the club have spent no money up front on the transfer.

I wouldn't expect that it's anything massive because of the length of the contract that he's negotiated. Probably took a hit on his signing fee to get the extra year's security in his contract.

• 3 years later...

No no Steven, In Liverpool as in, on Merseyside.

Beckford was a minor hit, and did well sometimes, fair enough, but nowhere near the level of success he had at Elland Road. I can't remember what division they were in when Beckford departed, maybe the championship league, but if he stayed on, and continued that impressive form, they could possibly of seen a return back to the EPL by now. Letting their star asset go was a mistake in hindsight, even if he did come to us of all the clubs interested.

No no Steven, In Liverpool as in, on Merseyside.

Beckford was a minor hit, and did well sometimes, fair enough, but nowhere near the level of success he had at Elland Road. I can't remember what division they were in when Beckford departed, maybe the championship league, but if he stayed on, and continued that impressive form, they could possibly of seen a return back to the EPL by now. Letting their star asset go was a mistake in hindsight, even if he did come to us of all the clubs interested.

His last season at Leeds was in League 1. They earned promotion and he joined us on a free. Think he did a decent job here, a bit of a ballhog who wouldn't pass the ball to anyone else and would take on silly shots, but he did show goalscoring ability, scored some good goals, and showed some moments of talent. Definitely not a starting 11 striker at a top 6 Premier League club.

he was so underrated. had a goals to minutes ratio up their with Drogba, Rooney and RVP. I didnt care that he took a few chances to score - he made them. He just needed a little more time to get his head straight and better coached to do the simple thing.

This.

He had everything i thought. He obviously needed a bit of coaching as all he had known was league 1, but he was such a natural finisher. I think if we had kept him and coached a little composure into him he could have been phenomenal.

That goal against Chelsea spoke for itself. If it had been someone like Henry, people would still be raving about it.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

I don't think the Chelsea goal was that big a deal in defining the guy. Sometimes things go for you, and that goal was one of those times, but overall, he impressed me when he played and some of his touches were pure class.

It was a damn travesty that he was sold for a lousy 4 million, and I was not a happy bunny at all, nor do I think most fans were too chuffed.

If he is going for £800,000 then let's get the guy back. He could fight for his place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUrZw08r2o

This.

He had everything i thought. He obviously needed a bit of coaching as all he had known was league 1, but he was such a natural finisher. I think if we had kept him and coached a little composure into him he could have been phenomenal.

That goal against Chelsea spoke for itself. If it had been someone like Henry, people would still be raving about it.

personally always thought that was the one quality he was lacking..a natural finisher would've scored far more of the chances he created

slightly agree with av about the chelsea goal too...still showed good pace and the bollocks to run at people...think the bolton goal was the pick of them all myself

personally always thought that was the one quality he was lacking..a natural finisher would've scored far more of the chances he created

I know where your coming from but I think the goals he did score showed that "instinct" in him personally. I think if he had a bit of composure coached in to him he could have done it on a more regular basis.

slightly agree with av about the chelsea goal too...still showed good pace and the bollocks to run at people...think the bolton goal was the pick of them all myself

Agree on the bolton goal, there was an element of luck on the solo run against Chelsea

Agree on the bolton goal, there was an element of luck on the solo run against Chelsea

The only bit of luck in the Chelsea goal was the bounce he got to initially get the chance. Everything else was pure skill.

Might have needed a few chances to score, but got into position to score them...

Also seemed to have the ability to score out of nothing eg. Bolton goal, and some of the goals he scored for Leeds especially in the FA Cup the season before we're unreal.

Edited by doc_bump

I still think it was right to get rid of him though. The amount of training he would need in order to become a 'complete' striker would have been too much for a club like us. I'd rather we have Jelavic than Beckford and judging by how down-hill he's gone since leaving us it seems that Moyes made the right decision to let him go.

I don't think it would ever have worked out for the kid here after Leeds and there's been enough names at this club in recent times that have done well at their previous clubs and then disappointed here. Beckford was no exception. Moments of fame and fortune at Goodison Park were few and far between, and while no Yeboah or Jones at Elland Road, he was far more productive in West Yorkshire than ever on Merseyside.

PS That animation in the direct above is one major distraction. Just gets in the way of anything you're trying to read or say ? Not out to upset anyone or anything.