IGNORED

If Moyes goes?

Finn balor

People should be more concerned there isn't much to talk about rather than question nationalities, and furthermore there was no research involved apart from the Johnson transfer fee, I know a damn load of statistics from years past and often they just come out inadvertently, it's almost second nature.

We'll just agree to disagree that Beattie was a success, and Johnson, while not quite so bad, was never going to get into legends status. But in their defense, they looked quite decent acquisitions amongst some other purchases made the last decade.

Ive never questioned your nationality (why would I? Im not english either) Mike0 did in another thread as a joke. (I think.) I know your american, you keep calling the game soccer. Its a dead giveaway. I however think your statistical memory is amazing and frankly a bit disturbing.

I think Moyes strategy is that he is more or less saying to the board "If baines or fellaini - or any other key players are sold, then i'm off"

However, didn't he play out this scenario last time round and it never really resulted in a massive change in mind set from the board. The reality is, we are screwed for transfer money/gross spend till either one of the board decides to invest some of their own money or we get a buyer.

This season is probably one of the biggest opportunities in recent years for us to make top 4, there is a cemented top 3 with a place going spare - any takers???

Whether Moyes goes or not we will be very lucky to get into the top four. Just my own opinion mind you. I don't really have a clue who we could have as a replacement for him. Someone who knows the game, is intelligent and would get right into it with the getting on the Reds nerves would be good. Davie's comment about the People's Club was wonderful when he arrived. Someone who could do that sort of thing would be good if he knows the game.

Gary Neville maybe?

(Should I get my coat now?)

Gary Neville maybe?

(Should I get my coat now?)

At present yes. As a coach, he'll be good for backroom staff.

In terms of replacements for Moyes?

Thomas Tuchel - Great 'New Skool' coach, plays the right way and uses Sport Science as an effective tool. Good tactical reader, plays the opposition and not their form. Done wonders at Mainz, it'd be a big step up, but I think he could handle it.

Article - http://bundesligafootball.co.uk/2012/07/what-now-for-thomas-tuchel/

Huub Stevens - I've said his name a couple of times when this topic has reared. Think hes a top top coach and excellent player manager. He's looking at CL at the minute, so maybe Schalke's the right level for him. He'd be a top manager for Everton and the youth set-up we have in place.

Unai Emery - Did incredible things at Valencia on a very tight budget (having to sell all the best players to keep afloat). Has recently been sacked by Spartak, for a run of poor results. Spartak didn't play 'his' way....they kept losing. He's still a very talented and young manager, who has a bright future.

Frank De Boer - He'd cost a fortune but develops young talent like you wouldn't believe He'd be a natural successor to Wenger. If Moyes did go, ideally i'd want De Boer. Problem? Prizing him away from Ajax :o His saying "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". WInner.

United's future?

IMO Uniteds arrogance will cost them big when they have to replace SAF. They will overlook the likes of Neville, OGS etc as their backroom staff and potential management team - they will go for the usual suspects who seem to be creaming it in year on year.

Capello, AVB, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Hiddink

For me, the only manager that will get them anywhere near continuing SAF's legacy is Mourinho. Guardiola??? Who knows, all I know is that he will cost the sort of money that would only be justified a guaranteed winner of many trophies. Very difficult to assess his greatness as he hasn't exactly built a team - more a case of took over an underperforming crop of excellent world class players.

Will be very interesting to watch when it does happen,

If Moyes did decide after the January transfer window that the club's ambition does not match his, which club would he be looking at joining that would match his ambition?

Looking at this article, there are only 12 club jobs in the world that are paying more than Everton!

http://www.pluriconsultoria.com.br/uploads/relatorios/PLURI%20Especial%20-%20Treinadores%20mais%20caros%20mundo.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

If Moyes were to leave I'd either take Slaven Bilic or Phil Neville with Gary as his assistant. Bilic is a very passionate manager as was seen when he managed the Croatian national team and I think since Phil joined Everton he has turned himself into a great leader and ambassador for the club, he's also already got his UEFA A coaching licence which could be an indicator to where his future lies, he could be the leader of our new 'boot room' of ex-players turned coaches for the club.

Look at the continuous carousel of coaching in and out of the Premier League. Having a stable, reliable coach for this long should not be unappreciated. I can't even imagine how we could replace Moyes with anyone but an inferior option in comparison. If we lose Fellaini and/or Baines it would suck for sure but the team would recover and bounce back. If we lose Moyes I'm ready to hit the panic button. Especially with the budget Everton is working with, all it takes is one 6 month stint of Mark Hughes quality and we're fighting relegation.

Slightly off topic, but in relation to German football, Schalke's manager was sacked last week and they've appointed their U17's manager as the new First team Manager. A similar thing happend with Jurgen Klopp at Dortmund, but I think he was managing under 18's for quite a while at Dortmund before stepping up into his current First Team manager role.

Would anyone else like to see something Similar happen here, obviously "If Moyes were to go"?? I think it would be interesting to see. Personally I'm sceptical about it as it must be very very different managing 18 year olds to then be thrown into a situation where your managing grown men with the flash cars and extravagant lifestyles, time will tell if it works out for Schalke, but it seems to have worked very well for Dortmund. Sheedy are next manager??

Sheedy are next manager??

This could well be a good solution but im hoping to see someone with a little bit more experience. Ive always been a huge fan of Martin O'Neill. Perhaps with Henrik Larsson as his second. Larsson is now managing a swedish side called Landskrona.

Would love to see what a poacher like Larsson could do with Vellios and Jelavic.

I'd love to have Slaven Bilic as our manager, but he isn't going to leave Lokimotiv Moscow for us. I like Ian Holloway, but not sure I'd want him at Everton, and my unrealistic dream manager would be Marcelo Bielsa from Athletic Bilbao, but that's totally out of question. What about Mowbraw from MIddlesbrough? Above all, I like David Moyes as our manager.

No, it has to be an actual established and recognized manager, not a recently finished player that has little managerial expertise. I'm talking (if they were available) someone like O Neill, Pardew or even Curbishley. You can't let hearts rule heads on this issue. Sheedy was a great club servant, but I'm very skeptical he could do a job here. It's best left at, he was a very good player for us, but as manager after Moyes? I hope it never sees the light of day, I don't think it would ever work out. Bilic also, former player of lesser stature, but again, don't think he could bring results and would be a bad decision for all concerned. Maybe I'm not 100 per cent behind Moyes, and the season still has some distance to run, but right now, he should just be allowed to get on with his job. There's still every chance of winning the FA cup next year, anything can happen, and if Moyes does it, I will be one of the first to applaud, but you know how it is, when the going gets tough.

Pardew will never be allowed to manage Everton after his comments towards the club. At least I hope he never comes here.

Oh and what experience did DM have before coming to Everton? He has only managed Preston before Everton. Not exactly a massive amount of experience.

I agree that we don't need a big name. What we need (if Moyes were to go) is someone with experience playing what we call in America "Money Ball." That is, getting the most out of minimal spending money.

No, it has to be an actual established and recognized manager, not a recently finished player that has little managerial expertise. I'm talking (if they were available) someone like O Neill, Pardew or even Curbishley. You can't let hearts rule heads on this issue. Sheedy was a great club servant, but I'm very skeptical he could do a job here. It's best left at, he was a very good player for us, but as manager after Moyes? I hope it never sees the light of day, I don't think it would ever work out. Bilic also, former player of lesser stature, but again, don't think he could bring results and would be a bad decision for all concerned. Maybe I'm not 100 per cent behind Moyes, and the season still has some distance to run, but right now, he should just be allowed to get on with his job. There's still every chance of winning the FA cup next year, anything can happen, and if Moyes does it, I will be one of the first to applaud, but you know how it is, when the going gets tough.

Don't think you quite grasped what I was trying to say DK, I wasn't specifying sheedy because he was an ex-player. I specified sheedy because I said Dortmund have had a lot of success from promoting a U18's manager who knows the Club from top to bottom to their first team manager, and Schalke have also now done the same. So I was posing the question would people be in favour of something similar happening here ?? I.E promoting from within...

Whichever way Sheedy was read, I'm still against the idea. And what works in one country, or league, doesn't mean to say it can occur in another. The Bundesliga is a lot different from the EPL for one thing. There would be no harm in trying however, but I don't think it will ever occur. We of course did a 'promote from within' as you say with David Watson after Royle departed in 1997, and at least steered the club away from a relegaton disaster, but was only interim manager until end of season. Too short a time to say "what would it of been like had he stayed on a while longer" etc. He couldn't have done any worse than Kendall in 1997/98 when he returned for a third time. No question about it.

Always wanted to see O Neill here, a manager I respect and who has done well more often than not, his successes at Leicester City need no introduction (League Cup winners 1997, 2000. Runners Up 1999. Play off winners 1996 for those in the dark) and I would have been interested to see how he would have done. Pardew also another manager that has reached finals and big pressure events and found successes, even if on a largely small scale, but still worth a mention. Curbishley has over 20 years managerial experience, did well at Charlton and is a name invariably linked by a lot of clubs when a vacancy is available.

Worth pointing out, that Moyes also, provides 'safe' ,sometimes 'mediocre' fare. By that, stability and some of the performances of recent years, have not been up to much. There really isn't that much difference, except Moyes usually brings a UEFA cup place, or if not, just outside, but let's not forget the two or three poor seasons with him. It hasn't been all one way traffic. This isn't another opportunity to berate Moyes, just answering responses and being fair minded.

I have been quite impressed with Chris Houghton myself actually. He put in a lot of the ground work with Newcastle and IMO is a better manager than Pardew, so it surprised me when he was replaced. He did a decent job with Birmingham, especially when you consider where they are now compared to when he left & then I his appointment at Norwich was a very good one by their Chairman as they have come very good after a slow start. He certainly isnt a one club wonder like some managers seem to be.

Id also be tempted to take a look at Di Canio. It would be a laugh if nothing else!

• 2 weeks later...