IGNORED

If Moyes goes?

Finn balor

Laudrup ticks all the boxes for me, been there done it. Can still boss a game in training - demonstrating what he expects from his players. Plays good football. Will have 1 year remaining on his contract in the summer so will not cost a fortune...

That last bit is an important point!

In a word No. Maybe some would welcome the idea for that famous bit of sportsmanship a decade ago, but I simply can't even imagine Di Canio being Everton manager, and there's a few number that don't even welcome the idea of having a non-British manager when Moyes finally leaves.

I saw the Laudrup honors list and profile or whatever you see it as, and maybe there is scope there to do something, but I still don't think he could be a success here and certainly not duplicate the league success that Moyes has. All I recognize is, he was a quality player in his time, and is a decent individual and while not aware he has been involved in management for so long, and had moments of recognition, It's simply not a name to get excited about. Just differences of opinion is what it is.

Say for arguments sake we end up with nothing this season and with it miss out on a european place and Moyes says 'that's all', and Laudrup comes in during the summer, and by end of next season we have a first trophy in what will be 19 years or even a Euro berth, with the Dane, I'll be more than proud to stand up and say 'well done' but the fact of the matter is, I'm just skeptical he could do a job here.

In a word No. Maybe some would welcome the idea for that famous bit of sportsmanship a decade ago, but I simply can't even imagine Di Canio being Everton manager, and there's a few number that don't even welcome the idea of having a non-British manager when Moyes finally leaves.

I saw the Laudrup honors list and profile or whatever you see it as, and maybe there is scope there to do something, but I still don't think he could be a success here and certainly not duplicate the league success that Moyes has. All I recognize is, he was a quality player in his time, and is a decent individual and while not aware he has been involved in management for so long, and had moments of recognition, It's simply not a name to get excited about. Just differences of opinion is what it is.

Say for arguments sake we end up with nothing this season and with it miss out on a european place and Moyes says 'that's all', and Laudrup comes in during the summer, and by end of next season we have a first trophy in what will be 19 years or even a Euro berth, with the Dane, I'll be more than proud to stand up and say 'well done' but the fact of the matter is, I'm just skeptical he could do a job here.

I actually do respect your opinion, but you still haven't given us a reason as to why you don't think he can do a job here. I would love to know why.

DM had managed Preston for four years before he came to Everton. First year he avoided relegation, then he took them to two playoffs which they lost. Next year he achieved promotion to league 1 and managed to keep them there in his last season.

No honours at Everton.

Laudrup has been a manager for 11 years (almost as long as Moyes)

Left Bröndby after 3 titles in 4 years

Got to the quarter finals in the UEFA cup with Getafe

Runners up in Copa del Rey with Getafe

Got Swansea to their first ever cup final

I'm the first to say that I would prefer it if DM signed a new contract with Everton, but I think that Laudrup would be the ideal replacement if he doesn't.

It's 4-00 in the morning and we've just got home but once again Laudrup isn't a feasible choice. I don't care if he's won a few games at Swansea or done well for a short period, is that really going to make a difference to us ? I don't mind Moyes as an individual, he's done well, but where's the end product ? 11 Years now and nothing won, although this season does represent an opportunity to finally once again win something, but it's too early to tell. Even if we had the investment to do something, Moyes' dour and lacklustre tactics and philosophies dictate we won't get very far. It's one main reason why Manchester United will never accept him. He's had over a decade and nothing won, but I want to see someone else come in and have a go. Yes we may get european soccer every now and again but all it amounts to is stabillity and safety first. We have a very good opportunity this year with a feasible chance of FA cup semi-finals but we've seen before how Moyes loses it at the most critical stages or when there's a tangible chance to win something.

To the above, I simply can't envisage Hitzfeld, Advocaat etc ever being Everton manager, so I don't know quite where that leaves us. I'm not even aware of a Thomas Tuchel ?, but something has to give sooner or later. If Moyes does depart at end of season, I'll be a little sad to see him go after all these years, and it'll be strange to see a new face in charge, but I'm adamant he's done as much as he can and maybe it's time for someone else to have a go and see where it takes us. We still once again have opportunities this season so will wait 'til then but that's how I feel about it.

Potentially if Laudrup guides Swansea to a cup victory at the weekend, then he has won more than Moyes has and done it in his first season with a smaller club than ours, which is also why i don't agree with the view that we MUST have investment to have success, it's nonsense imo. You gave Redknapp, Curbishly and Pardew as choices? really they are yesterdays men and would offer us nothing. Laudrup has obviously continued the good work done by others, has an eye for a player and plays the game in the right way, he is everything we should look for in a manager imo.

Pardew has been a manager since 1999 and only won one single trophy. The Football league Cup. A non trophy in my opinion.

He has been sacked from 2 clubs. Had the longest defeat record at one.

Spoke badly about Everton and has signed a 8 year contract with Newcastle.

Curbishly has been a manager since 1995, has only won league 1.

Has not managed a team since 2008?

Redknapp has a few honours to his name but please god no not Redknapp. Corruption allegations and arrests. Spending way over the top. Puts himself in front of the team. Loves being in media.

Can we please stop talking about these 3?

the rest of that is not "in a word" tongue.png Edited by Matt

I have I posted before that Laudrup is the OUTSTANDING candidate, rumours are Chelsea are looking at him. I love Moyes but if he wants to go he has done his rip and deserves the chance to better himself if he wants. Lets face it Laudrup is a multi millionaire and im sure he will take half of what Moysie is on

I have I posted before that Laudrup is the OUTSTANDING candidate, rumours are Chelsea are looking at him. I love Moyes but if he wants to go he has done his rip and deserves the chance to better himself if he wants. Lets face it Laudrup is a multi millionaire and im sure he will take half of what Moysie is on

Let's be frank, no manager is going to come in right away and make what Moyes earns. Moyes earns so much because he has been here for 11+ years, has been very successful, and needs to be on high wages in order to discourage him from leaving for a club that might offer similar wages to him and a better transfer budget.

*edit* Moyes is in a unique situation, and I don't think it can be assumed that Everton would pay any manager what we pay Moyes.

Edited by Quinn31

I still think Moyes is on too high a salary, despite his good work, but money in soccer and wages is a general concern I have, in that they're without question more than enough. Do some players really need, or even justify £150,000 a week ? Fucking nonsense...

Back to the Laudrup debate, and I don't see him as an outstanding candidate, merely just a name that has been talked about recently. I realize now he has been in management longer than I first assumed, and has done well here and there, and is a decent man and all round good individual, but heads must rule hearts on this for me. I say it again, I don't think he could be a success here. What works in one country or league may not work for another. Take Walker at Norwich as a home example though, when he arrived in 1993/94 and many thought great things were expected, but the sum total was a near relegation and all round poor show. The thing is, we simply can't tell if Laudrup or any other name, when Moyes goes, and comes in, will work or not, but I feel I have pretty good instincts. It's all about opinions and that's what I have to say on the issue, right or wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Martinez has just gone up in my rankings. Much better tactics than Moyes. Would be interesting to see what he would do with our squad.

I don't think Martinez is bad. He knows a player in the transfer market, has to deal with selling his best player transfer every summer, has minimal funds to work with, and is very tactically adept. I mean how many players in this day would try either the 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 or 3-4-3 or whatever it is he goes with.

Is that why they are almost relegated ?

Let's not get too carried away with our loss.

We're all pissed off, but seriously.

repeatedly too. But, thats more down to the fact he has a crap defence. Hes similar to Holloway many ways, their main faults being theyre too gung-ho.

If Moyes goes? I have no doubt in my mind that he will now, and i dont care. When he goes, there will be celebrations and all his hard work over the last 11 years will be undone by his inability to adapt or hold his hands up occasionally.

Is that why they are almost relegated ?

Let's not get too carried away with our loss.

We're all pissed off, but seriously.

They barely have any fans other than the 18000 who turn up every week and have to deal with losing their best player every season and only pay half the wages we do. This season alone they lost 3 first team players Rodallega, Moses, and Diame we only sold Rodwell (who only managed 14 games for us) and got more money for him than Wigan brought in. Keeping Wigan up is much more difficult job than finishing in the top half with Everton.

They barely have any fans other than the 18000 who turn up every week and have to deal with losing their best player every season and only pay half the wages we do. This season alone they lost 3 first team players Rodallega, Moses, and Diame we only sold Rodwell (who only managed 14 games for us) and got more money for him than Wigan brought in. Keeping Wigan up is much more difficult job than finishing in the top half with Everton.

Would you say Wigan are any worse than the Everton team Moyse took over?

Difference being Moyse turned us around from relegation fodder to European challengers, Wigan have not progressed under Martinez

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Neither are comparable Pete.

My point is we lose today and fans need to deal with it, as the alternatives are what? Wigan were better than we were, and, everything went right for them. Our team don't have the mental strength to be winners.

Would you say Wigan are any worse than the Everton team Moyse took over?

Difference being Moyse turned us around from relegation fodder to European challengers, Wigan have not progressed under Martinez

Not hard to take Everton away from the relegation zone. We had a manager that was playing Steve Watson upfront, the team was much better than people like to make out, easy job making us into a top half team again. He nearly relegated us then was very lucky to get the cash injection from the Rooney sale. Unbelievable that we haven't won away against a Sky4 for over a decade and he's kept his job. He's done a good job, but not good enough. Much like Sam Aladyce at Bolton.

Ridiculous to compare Wigan with Everton, as financially we are worlds apart. It's a miracle they have survived this long. Their top earners are on roughly the same as Anichebe who was just about a squad player when he last had his wages boosted.

Edited by pete0

The annoying thing for me is that the same players get picked time and time again.

We should take a risk with the rest of the season, and the worst that could happen is we would have young players with experience come the end of the season.

Give Duffy a go in defence, and Oviedo a go in midfield, or even at RB, and so on.

If Moyes leaves by end of season, and there's a real increased chance of that I feel right now, then I'll be pleased enough. Too much frustration, the inability to get results over teams we should be beating, bizarre tactics and squads, embarrassments, I don't have all day to elaborate further. Simply can do no more for this club, and as for winning anything, it's a fucking pipe dream. Cannot handle or manage the big occasions as this year once again demonstrated. If Wigan get Millwall or Rovers in the semi-finals it'll only add insult to injury from today but there's no sense in crying over spilt milk. Still irritated by everything.

Not hard to take Everton away from the relegation zone. We had a manager that was playing Steve Watson upfront, the team was much better than people like to make out, easy job making us into a top half team again. He nearly relegated us then was very lucky to get the cash injection from the Rooney sale. Unbelievable that we haven't won away against a Sky4 for over a decade and he's kept his job. He's done a good job, but not good enough. Much like Sam Aladyce at Bolton.

Ridiculous to compare Wigan with Everton, as financially we are worlds apart. It's a miracle they have survived this long. Their top earners are on roughly the same as Anichebe who was just about a squad player when he last had his wages boosted.

Exactly people seem to overlook this. Wigan probably average around 20,000 fans for each home, have risen to the topflight in area which is traditionally the home of supporters of the Manchester and Merseyside clubs (ie lack of merchandise sales) and they probably have the lowest commercial appeal of the Premier League (ie low sponsorship deals).

To put it in a litle perspective Wigan's CURRENT wage bill is £39.9mil and Turnover of £50.5mil.

Everton's wage bill in 2004-5 was £30.8mil and £37mil in 2005/6 with turnover in 2005/6 at £60mil.

Everton's current wage bill is £63.4mil and TO of £80.5mil.

The point of this is that way back in 2005-6 we had a similar wage bill to what Wigan have now and that I would guess that the average premiership wage has increased by 75-80% in that time. Even now, our wage bill is bigger than Wigans total turnover.

Its actually amazing that Wigan are still in the league tbh. They have several Championship level players even ones that were playing today, and they still taught our lads a lesson. Martinez set his team out perfectly. They pressed our CM's who gave the ball away countless times, they completely shut Baines and Fellaini down and they exploited Colemans lack of positional sense. They ran rings round our midfield and Moyes didnt have an answer.

Even in the second half when they looked a bit jittery, they still limited us to half chances and they even threatened themselves.

Martinez has done very well with the resources at his disposal, especially to get his team to play the way they did today and especially of a moral crushing defeat the week before. You could see that he had learned his lesson, something I havent seen from Moyes in his 11 years.

I'm not saying that he should be the next Everton manager but to dismiss his credentials is just pure ignorance.

Moyes as a tactician is SHITE! no bottle, no plan B, no player development.

He's very good at getting certain players to do 4-5-1 the way he wants. No evolution in his time, but the way he carries himself you'd think he's won the league.

There is a new era of managers, tacticians, forward thinkers and moyes isn't in that category. Martinez, laudrup, lambert, Lennon, I'd have any of them.