Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Cricket Thread

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Done and done, Taylor out. I don't think NZ will even try to win this now because if they attack and get bowled out cheaply they'll be vulnerable to Pakistan having a big win in their last game; if they've got any sense they'll just stick around and grind out a half decent total to protect their run rate.

Maybe not then..

"Say New Zealand only get 230 today, if Pakistan get 400 and bowl Bangladesh out for 100 on Friday that still wouldn't be enough for them to go through to the semi-finals."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good win today, with a slice of good fortune in parts. We have been long overdue the run of the green so I’ll take it. India or Australia in the semis of which I have no preference although we seem to do better posting a total. Looking forward to it but with England’s sporting record in semi finals I’m not counting my chickens! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we'll be playing Oz in the semi which is a bit of a shame, I'd have liked that to have been the final. Amazing how many first innings totals have been in the 310/340 range across the whole thing and how few have been chased down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kushagra29 said:

As we reached to Semi-finals, lets predict who is gonna win this CWC 2019? 

What made you post this on an Everton forum? No problem with it just interesting as a first post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MikeO said:

What made you post this on an Everton forum? No problem with it just interesting as a first post.

Honestly, nothing. Basically I love cricket. When i saw the cricket sub-forum, I just felt like why don't I start my journey with CWC post? Thats it!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kushagra29 said:

Honestly, nothing. Basically I love cricket. When i saw the cricket sub-forum, I just felt like why don't I start my journey with CWC post? Thats it!!  

Fair enough 😁.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well! Well!! Well!!! Interesting contest is going on b//w IND & NZ. India 3 down(All the in-form batsmen). The new batsmen who haven't played much enough in this CWC are in the crease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NZ well in the driving seat now, India 82-5 off 27 and scoring at about three an over, going to take a special innings from someone, they can't get the ball off the square at the moment. Just one run off the 28th now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill leave the other mods to keep an eye on this. Hate cricket, after a few bad (and one very painful) experiences playing. Although, I did meet Brian Lara once watching a game in Australia. The other live game I attended involved a competition between stewards and inflatables; the Aussies had been in the stadium from 8am, drinking, and it got to 45c midway through the match. Every time an inflatable got taken away from the crowd, there was a massive groan but 5 mins later another would pop up and the cheering and jubilant roaring would start again; one dude crowd surfed on a dingy. The only 2 good memories I have of cricket, but they’re bloody good memories! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday we witnessed a perfect semi-final b//w IND & NZ and now its time for another semi-final between the two big rivalries of the cricket AUS & ENG. Hope no rain interrupts the match today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill said:

Fabulous start from England  Aussie are 15 for 3 wkts down.

Did well to restrict them to 223 in the end, 224 looks like a good total for us to totally self destruct chasing! Seriously though if Roy and Bairstow can give us a decent start we should be OK, bookies have us roughly 1/7 and Oz at 9/2 but there have been very few easy run chases in this WC so I'm not expecting a relaxing afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain due, question is whether we get twenty overs in today, this rule seems a bit daft to me if you've got a reserve day, play it out surely?

"If it rains before England have batted for 20 overs and they are not able to resume today then we will come back again tomorrow and use the reserve day, resuming from the score England are on when the match is stopped.

Once England have batted 20 overs this match will be decided today, using the DLS method if necessary."

We should win comfortably either way but I'd rather not use the DLS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bill said:

Roy given out but never touched the ball. !!

He wasn't even close, shame we wasted our review on Bairstow. Dreadful decisions, first by Bairstow and then by the umpire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liked this...

"It's perhaps the clearest sign of this England's side's mentality that there are hardly any celebrations at all. Just a few polite handshakes and off they go. A case of 'job done'."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I put £100 on New Zealand at 12-1 couple of weeks ago, always thought they were the dark horses, do I want them to win yep 👍 

Traitor, you'll be the first up against the wall come the revolution:shakingfist:.

Good price though, I said a while back that I expected the top four would include NZ but that they were the underdog after the top three. If I had them at 12-1 I'd still want England to win but have a decent consolation if it didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Traitor, you'll be the first up against the wall come the revolution:shakingfist:.

Good price though, I said a while back that I expected the top four would include NZ but that they were the underdog after the top three. If I had them at 12-1 I'd still want England to win but have a decent consolation if it didn't happen.

Well if New Zealand win you can drowned your sorrows on me, but in reality you will be happy and going thirsty.

England destroyed Australia's batting today and in our innings we didn't get out of 2nd gear, God knows what happened to the Australians but one thing's for sure there going to be in for some stick back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MikeO said:

I'm so sad for them😂.

Hahaha. Actually, I'm happy. The teams who haven't won a WC in their cricket history are going compete now and we are going to see a new champion. Im bored of seeing the same teams lifting the cup over the years. Obviously, ENG are favorites but we shouldn't take NZ for granted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Palfy said:

It is, commentators think we will do it I’m not so sure. 

Creeping up towards 10 an over needed, we won't get those on this pitch, have to at least play some shots now, we've got wickets in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Creeping up towards 10 an over needed, we won't get those on this pitch, have to at least play some shots now, we've got wickets in hand.

Exactly we have got to take chances can’t let the overs run down without going for it with all those wickets in hand, Butler gone time to slog it around now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard not to like NZ. Feel for them. But so pleased for England. Enormous pressure. Enormous resilience. Stokes becomes a hero after WI debacle. That was a magnificent game. The game needs to grow now: more countries needed. Sport at its finest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wow, I thought it had gone after the wide and the six. Astounding finish, feel for NZ, particularly after that flukey six we got towards the end. I'd given up before that.

I agree mate the Cricketing Gods were with us today, so tough for NZ there’s no words that can console them for that finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kushagra29 said:

How many of u felt the ICC rule of "Deciding a match winner with the help of boundaries hit when a super-over is tied" is unfair?

Yes I can sympathise with NZ because it does seem a bit random. You could actually justify awarding the win to the side who hit fewer boundaries as that would suggest their all round batting was better. The side that lost fewer wickets would also seem a fairer method I'd have thought but I'll take it the way it is for now:D.

I don't suppose a huge amount of thought went into it because the likelihood of the situation actually happening was so massively remote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kushagra29 said:

How many of u felt the ICC rule of "Deciding a match winner with the help of boundaries hit when a super-over is tied" is unfair?

Apparently, this rule was introduced by Allen Stanford the (jailed) tycoon who introduced it in 2008 for his T20 series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about Cricket, even though I've been reading up on it since this World Cup, but I thought the technicality that cost NZ the win was a bit unfair.

Feels like a draw to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sibdane said:

I don't know much about Cricket, even though I've been reading up on it since this World Cup, but I thought the technicality that cost NZ the win was a bit unfair.

Feels like a draw to me.

An American accepting a draw as a result? That's a new one:P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sibdane said:

If it feels like a draw to an American then you know something's wrong!

We also got incredibly lucky with the four fluke runs in the final over, without those we'd have lost. Eminent ex-umpire Simon Taufel in Oz suggesting a mistake was made and we got one run more than we should've done so again would likely have lost.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/world-cup-umps-got-it-wrong-taufel-20190715-p527g9.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We also got incredibly lucky with the four fluke runs in the final over, without those we'd have lost. Eminent ex-umpire Simon Taufel in Oz suggesting a mistake was made and we got one run more than we should've done so again would likely have lost.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/world-cup-umps-got-it-wrong-taufel-20190715-p527g9.html

 

Interesting that.

I started following it this time around and plan to pay more attention in the future. A gas station I stop at on a regular basis is owned by an Indian family, and one of the guys who works there was constantly watching/listening/talking about it, and it sparked my interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sibdane said:

Interesting that.

I started following it this time around and plan to pay more attention in the future. A gas station I stop at on a regular basis is owned by an Indian family, and one of the guys who works there was constantly watching/listening/talking about it, and it sparked my interest.

The guys from the Indian sub-continent are crazy about the game, they create an amazing atmosphere. Top players in India are idolised like very few other sports people in the World; cricket even transcends religion over there I believe, which is saying something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeO said:

We also got incredibly lucky with the four fluke runs in the final over, without those we'd have lost. Eminent ex-umpire Simon Taufel in Oz suggesting a mistake was made and we got one run more than we should've done so again would likely have lost.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/world-cup-umps-got-it-wrong-taufel-20190715-p527g9.html

 

Just recovered!!! What a game. should have been given 5 not 6 for the overthrow as we had only ran one at the time the NZ threw the ball in and batsman hadn’t crossed on their second run. Strange as they deliberated for a while about it and no experts immediately picked up the mistake. Still who knows what would have happened if it would have been 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, barryj said:

Just recovered!!! What a game. should have been given 5 not 6 for the overthrow as we had only ran one at the time the NZ threw the ball in and batsman hadn’t crossed on their second run. Strange as they deliberated for a while about it and no experts immediately picked up the mistake. Still who knows what would have happened if it would have been 5. 

Thinking about it the rule is...

Law 19.8 - overthrow or wilful act of fielder:

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:

-any runs for penalties awarded to either side;
-the allowance for the boundary; and
-the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Think the two key bits for me are in bold.

First, it didn't result from a "wilful act of a fielder" and second (crucially imo), if the measure is always taken from when the throw is made there's absolutely no need for "or act" to be added at the end of the rule. The "act" that caused the situation was the ball hitting Stokes' bat when they'd long since crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Thinking about it the rule is...

Law 19.8 - overthrow or wilful act of fielder:

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:

-any runs for penalties awarded to either side;
-the allowance for the boundary; and
-the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Think the two key bits for me are in bold.

First, it didn't result from a "wilful act of a fielder" and second (crucially imo), if the measure is always taken from when the throw is made there's absolutely no need for "or act" to be added at the end of the rule. The "act" that caused the situation was the ball hitting Stokes' bat when they'd long since crossed.

Can’t be as the act has to be from a fielder of which Stokes clearly isn’t. The ‘act’ part is just a cover all for a an-unusual event eg a kick etc 

it was a wrong call but I’m not complaining! I’d it was the other way round however......

The other big incident was just as crucial. Had the NZ fielder been switched on he would have ensured he released the ball before stepping backwards saving 4 runs or better (for NZ) threw it to his team mate for a catch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...