Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

if I can just paraphrase Nigel Farage ( I can not stand that man myself) 

"Mr Juncker, who are you? Nobody knows who you are or what you have done."

This sums up the EU perfectly for me.  Put in grey men in grey suits to positions of power, but make sure they toe the line.  If we fuck up on voting an idiot into power it is our own fault. and can be corrected later, but what can we do about the top people in Europe?  We can not do anything about Trump either but we are not under his thumb in the same way.

2 minutes ago, rubecula said:

This sums up the EU perfectly for me.  Put in grey men in grey suits to positions of power, but make sure they toe the line.  If we fuck up on voting an idiot into power it is our own fault. and can be corrected later, but what can we do about the top people in Europe?  We can not do anything about Trump either but we are not under his thumb in the same way.

I explained that bit mate - you get your government (vote is cast by the Prime Minister) to educate you on who is a possible candidate and they cast the vote on your behalf. It's democracy on a bigger level, but no one was informed and it's still the case

Just curious, but do you or anyone else know all the members of the British parliament? It's the same principle, with the same reason behind with the EU, just on a larger scale - make it complicated and don't educate the population on politics, so people won't understand and it in turn it's is easier to twist truths and point fingers to win elections.

Off to bed now, hopefully Holystove can correct me. But after nearly 2 years of investigating this topic, I'm pretty sure I'm correct in what I've said (though I know I'm over-simplifying it, because I'm knackered)

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I explained that bit mate - you get your government (vote is cast by the Prime Minister) to educate you on who is a possible candidate and they cast the vote on your behalf. It's democracy on a bigger level, but no one was informed and it's still the case

Just curious, but do you or anyone else know all the members of the British parliament? It's the same principle, with the same reason behind with the EU, just on a larger scale - make it complicated and don't educate the population on politics, so people won't understand and it in turn it's is easier to twist truths and point fingers to win elections.

Off to bed now, hopefully Holystove can correct me. But after nearly 2 years of investigating this topic, I'm pretty sure I'm correct in what I've said (though I know I'm over-simplifying it, because I'm knackered)

not arguing Matt, just voicing how I myself feel.

13 hours ago, rubecula said:

Mr Juncker, who are you?      Juncker is the ex Prime Minister of Luxembourg who was a prime mover in setting it up as a tax haven.  The countries who make up the EU (amongst others) lost multi-billions in tax revenues as a result.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Mr Juncker, who are you?      Juncker is the ex Prime Minister of Luxembourg who was a prime mover in setting it up as a tax haven.  The countries who make up the EU (amongst others) lost multi-billions in tax revenues as a result.

thats the fella johnh  he fucked everyone over but still in charge anyway

Just now, rubecula said:

sounds great, where are the ballot papers I have never seen one with his name on it  

what party is he in?

Do you expect to have a vote on the next Chancellor or Home Secretary? We have a general election (as do all EU member states) to put people in power to make these decisions for us.

Just now, MikeO said:

Do you expect to have a vote on the next Chancellor or Home Secretary? We have a general election (as do all EU member states) to put people in power to make these decisions for us.

no it was a facetious comment  sorry mate

but we vote a party in (or not depending on who else votes for them)  really meant the bit about what party he is in though as I really have no idea.

5 minutes ago, rubecula said:

no it was a facetious comment  sorry mate

but we vote a party in (or not depending on who else votes for them)  really meant the bit about what party he is in though as I really have no idea.

No apology needed! I don't know what his status party wise is now due to his position, but when active in Luxembourg he was in the Christian Social People's Party, which is apparently center/right politically.

54 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think you did. We only had one leader available to vote, the fact that Matt said leaders plural suggests (to me) that he meant the collective leaders of the member states.

Yup, leaders as in those eligible to vote.

Democracy sucks when it doesn't go the way you want :lol:

7 hours ago, holystove said:

Someone made a comparison between UK and EU on democratic accountability:  (as far as I can tell it's accurate)

comparison.png

In the UK, the system on the left is perceived to be democratic, the one on the right not so much.  

On who pays the EU budget:   there are currently 11 member states that are net contributors, the other 17 being eastern and southern Europe and Ireland.  Per capita the UK is one of the lowest net contributors, it is however a big country so overall it is the second biggest contributor.  Sweden has only been a member for about 20 years and has been a net contributor from the start.

It's a shame that people have just become more entrenched as Louis said.  I was hoping the process of leaving would help people understand the EU better.  Barnier said a couple of days ago that brexit will teach us (as in all Europeans) a lesson on what the customs union is, what the single market is, etc..  Sadly what he meant was translated into UK media as "EU will teach Britain a lesson" (even by the BBC).

So Barnier mis-spoke.  He must have been taking lessons from Diane Abbott.:D

20 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You, and the majority of retainers, have displayed that perfectly ;).

Might not have been so bitter about it all had there been any effort to educate the public rather than lie to their faces. Fact is, everyone got screwed. 

Oh, and a vote would've been nice :)