Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not a big lover of the royals, although I make an exception for the queen herself. This morning, I spotted the following news item: The younger royals may not want the responsibilities (I don't blame them) but they would certainly still want all the money, estates, and privileges.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/europe/prince-harry-interview/index.html

Today, exactly one year since the momentous victory for Leave. It was suggested by some in the campaign (not just Farage) that June 23rd should from now on be known as UK Independence Day.

Are there any events or celebrations?

Got no support fortunately.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/123324

For very good reason.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/its-offensive-to-call-brexit-an-independence-day-the-eu-wasnt-a-colonial-power-enslaving-your-nation-a7104286.html

I don't get it though. 17 million people voted for this thing while their government and most politicians and experts advised against it. So surely they must have a deep personal conviction that brexit is a good idea.

On the one year anniversary, there aren't any rallies to support team UK at the start of the exit-negotiations? No big speeches in front of huge crowds by visionary pro-brexit politicians?

I'm genuinely confused by this. Especially when compared to other referenda such as the ones in Quebec, where even though the exiteers lost, these referenda were preceded and followed by years of popular mass mobilisation.

I don't get it though. 17 million people voted for this thing while their government and most politicians and experts advised against it. So surely they must have a deep personal conviction that brexit is a good idea.

On the one year anniversary, there aren't any rallies to support team UK at the start of the exit-negotiations? No big speeches in front of huge crowds by visionary pro-brexit politicians?

I'm genuinely confused by this. Especially when compared to other referenda such as the ones in Quebec, where even though the exiteers lost, these referenda were preceded and followed by years of popular mass mobilisation.

No deep personal conviction for most, just tabloid fueled short term gratification. No big speeches because the majority of the politicians who "espoused" it did so for personal gain/popularity and never expected to have to follow through because they knew they were going to lose. Now they've won they're lost.

All the big players in the leave campaign are keeping very quiet of late, and some are actually bending in there views of what sort of Brexit we should be looking for, except for Farage who is still spouting his hate campaign.

Gove hardly a murmur knows he called it wrong now hiding hoping we forget he was involved.

Boris Johnson now urging for us to stay in the single market to save jobs even though he knows we will have to have open borders, which he vehemently fought against is now trying to repair the damage he caused with his lies.

The German bitch from the Labour party not so mouthy now it's going pear shape, now in hiding.

There all shiting them selves because of the reprisals that will becoming their way.

All the big players in the leave campaign are keeping very quiet of late, and some are actually bending in there views of what sort of Brexit we should be looking for, except for Farage who is still spouting his hate campaign.

Gove hardly a murmur knows he called it wrong now hiding hoping we forget he was involved.

Boris Johnson now urging for us to stay in the single market to save jobs even though he knows we will have to have open borders, which he vehemently fought against is now trying to repair the damage he caused with his lies.

The German bitch from the Labour party not so mouthy now it's going pear shape, now in hiding.

There all shiting them selves because of the reprisals that will becoming their way.

DDIgheUXYAA7Cu4.jpg

Tough times for Boris, Nigel and Gove. Doesn't mean brexit itself is in danger though. Hard brexiteers like Corbyn and McDonnell are still hugely popular.

How ,many of you have changed your minds since the vote to leave?

(I haven't by the way)

Given how it's played out, I would change my mind - but, of course, I was ineligible to vote. The key dilemma remains, though: How to remain in, and strengthen, a common market without succumbing to the move toward a United States of Europe.

Given how it's played out, I would change my mind - but, of course, I was ineligible to vote. The key dilemma remains, though: How to remain in, and strengthen, a common market without succumbing to the move toward a United States of Europe.

This is key. Brexit needs to be done competently. I used to think David Davis was up to the job. But quotes keep popping up of him saying stuff like this:

- "Post Brexit a UK-German deal would include free access for their cars and industrial goods, in exchange for a deal on everything else".

You could give him the benefit of the doubt and pretend the EU is run by Germany; so he said UK-German deal while in reality he meant UK-EU. But then Davis said this:

- "Similar deals would be reached with other key EU nations".

On the EU, Davis is truely Trumpesque.

As to your second point: the UK was doing quite well strengthening the common market. The UK has been very good, ever since Thatcher to make the rest of the EU adopt a UK style approach to trade.

At the same time, the UK had an opt-out on pretty much anything that would make the EU move towards more political unity, and when it didn't have an opt-out, it just blocked all further integration with its veto. It was a very negative member in that sense.

When it turned out Cameron got even more concessions, I couldn't wait for brexit. With the UK in the EU, the EU was doomed to stand still (and therefor fail).

I read a quote by some commentator who got it spot on, imo. "Risk: the UK arrives at the conclusion it wants to stay in the EU after the EU27 has long convinced itself it'll be better off without".

A recent poll showed that 'leave' is now at 60%, so I guess we have to adjust the figures by -1.

The results of polls on complex issues that are boiled down to yes or no, are just as meaningless today as the one they held on the 23rd of June 2016, though. As the director of vote.leave said, these types of referenda are a very dumb idea. I just thought it extremely cynical of him to first claim a couple of months ago that leave probably wouldn't have won without the 350m NHS bus, and now to say he's not even sure leaving is a particularly good idea.

A majority of MP's were in favour of Remain when the referendum was held. I don't know if that is still true today but one thing is for sure, not one party is united on this issue.

DD6r7JHUQAApFKh.jpg

(FT)

'... Andrew McGill reports in The Atlantic that the recent Brexit vote was strongly correlated with education. Districts with a high percentage of college graduates tended to vote to remain in the European Union, while those with a small percentage tended to vote to leave.

In the long run, therefore, there is reason for optimism. As society slowly becomes more educated from generation to generation, the general publics attitudes toward globalization should move toward the experts.'

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/upshot/why-voters-dont-buy-it-when-economists-say-global-trade-is-good.html?smid=pl-share&referer=

You old uneducated gits! (tongue firmly in cheek.)