HOWARD

JAGS YOBO LESCOTT BAINES

NEVILLE ARTETA MANNY OSMAN

CAHILL

YAKUBU

Everton 3-0

Manny, Lescott and Yak

with the options we have in midfield that would be a terrible choice imo

you have the right idea about the defense, but Neville isnt good enough for our first team when we have a full team.

Its not my choice but im sure the team on saturday will be something like this..

------------------howard--------------------

Neville----Yobo----------Jags-----Lescott

Arteta---Fernandes--Carsley--Osman--Baines

------------------Yakubu------------------------

Edited by Blue4Ever

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neville is our best right back without a doubt, and that's where he should play. He's not good enough for midfield that's for sure but right back you can't really fault him.

He has been ok at rightback lately, but if it was me id play Jagielka there before him, and play Yobo an Lescott in the middle with Baines leftback.

I think we should leave well alone at the back.................................................. pip, jags. joly, bainesy.

get the best 4 we can in midfield no need to play 4-5-1 against these........... arteta, cahill, fernandes, osman.

any 2 from 3 at the front ............................................................................... yakubu, vaughan, johnson.

He has been ok at rightback lately, but if it was me id play Jagielka there before him, and play Yobo an Lescott in the middle with Baines leftback.

Why would you play Jags there? hen he was played there he was quickly moved back into midfield because he wasn't cutting it at right back. You just seem determined to find a way of keeping Pip out of the team when he is our best right back, and by some distance too. I don't like Carsley but I know he does do a job for us (usually) when in 451, right now he needs a rest or a kick up the arse but that's another story.

Did the African lads have a choice as to playing for their respective countries?

You can't blame them either way for going, as you can't Cahill!

But now Moyes has a choice!, bring them straight back in or let them wait!Neither Jagielka or AJ have exactly been playing badly.What kind of signal is it to fringe players if once the big name is fit and ready to play, he walks straight back in?

How much of a lift would it be to an already fast improving Jags if he sees Yobo take his place on the bench......he would go looking for that "brick wall" to run through!Drop him (Jags) and you will maybe damage team spirit!

Sure Yobo is excellent, but an injury or loss of form to someone will soon restore him to a starting place, if it's Jags place he takes at least Jagielka will know the next chance he gets, play well and you stay in.

Same with AJ, as mentioned in a previous post we might not play 451, and I think AJ and Vaughan together up front from the start could do Reading serious damage.

HELL!.....Yakubu on the bench isn't a bad way to tell Reading to get that bus ready for the goal mouth!

All said and done......dont forget Reading are in trouble and need points, there are no easy games.

Why would you play Jags there? hen he was played there he was quickly moved back into midfield because he wasn't cutting it at right back. You just seem determined to find a way of keeping Pip out of the team when he is our best right back, and by some distance too. I don't like Carsley but I know he does do a job for us (usually) when in 451, right now he needs a rest or a kick up the arse but that's another story.

My opinion of Neville has went up alot because he has been doing a decent job lately but when its a choice between Jags or Yobo not playing id much rather keep them both in the team, and drop Neville.

Jagielka should not be dropped on saturday for Yobo that would be totally out of order, his form lately has been terrific and he has helped us grind out clean sheets we were struggling for.

Id go with this personally:

----------------HOWARD---------------------

JAGS------YOBO------LESCOTT-----BAINES

ARTETA---FERNANDES---CARSLEY----OSMAN

------------A.J------------YAKUBU----------------

Not going to be easy but I think 2-0

Edited by Blue4Ever

Fair enough, not sure how Jags would fair at right back, think nev is a better choice imo, defensively they would be about on par, but going forward jags wouldn't cut it for me, and ive never thought much of jags delivery (though i do realise that nev is hardly a master he still does get the occaisonal good ball in)

Also i think that Nev and Arteta always link up really well. Jags is a CB in my books, not a RB

no for me jags is a 100% centre back now.

for me joe is on for a fight to get back in the team in my opinion cas lescotts first name on team sheet at the mo.

plus i also agree with who said that arteta and neville work well. nev's not best crosser but for me he does the things well that helps are best player: arteta!

(always puts it were arteta wants it, always makes the right run whether to go round him or to stay back for the pass) jus a few examples.

yes i know a few things come with time, but i don't see jags as a good passer.

Cahill came thru unscathed last night & should be ok. To be fair they are doing everything poss to help the players. Physios were in to the players as soon as came off & appar travel with the players & have them constantly doing drills, ex on the planes to limit the fatigue & jet lag involved.

He should be fine for Reading.

Played 65 mins, scored 1 had 2 Brilly saved could had a Quintirck ( if theres such a fukin thing )Won Man of the Match & made some positve comments after.

Heart on the sleeve, declared himself always available for Australia, some mention he would happilly play out his carrer @ EFc, & that he takes Moyes frustration & objections to him playing in such games as the ultimate compliment from his manager.

Readings been a sticky before, but we should do them aptly this week. I hope.

^^

Yeah we should be able to sweep them aside quite easily but (and this is always a stupid way to think) i always feel nervous about playing a team who are on a long loosing streak, which Reading are on. Its a stupid thing to think but I always think that we will be the ones that help break their duck. I think its just a deep rooted feeling from the 90's that we will lose on most occasions, also whenver I'm listening to footy on the radio and they say "there has been a goal at.." I always think we have conceded, never think, "Oh, we may have scored" my heart always skips a beat. Maybe in a few years I will get used to being a better side and not think that we'll always lose. Heres hoping...

Know what you mean Jamie :lol: .

Listening to the radio or watching Score on the beeb,

"And there's been a goal at Goodison Park...."

:o Heart skips beat even though reality this season suggests it's more than likely gone to us.

Watching ceefax used to be the worst, I "watched" us beat Wimbledon in that game in '94 on ceefax....staring at little text numbers praying between pacing around the garden when the tension got too much.

Know what you mean Jamie :lol: .

Listening to the radio or watching Score on the beeb,

"And there's been a goal at Goodison Park...."

:o Heart skips beat even though reality this season suggests it's more than likely gone to us.

Watching ceefax used to be the worst, I "watched" us beat Wimbledon in that game in '94 on ceefax....staring at little text numbers praying between pacing around the garden when the tension got too much.

I think that one would have been all a bit too much for me, i found listening to all the games being commentated on the radio hard enough. Its a heart attack just waiting to happen.

Howard played decent for U.S. last night in Huston, though to be honest, he really might have come and grabbed both the crosses that led to the Mexico goals. Picking up on those balls in from the wings really seems to be his weakest area. Did a great job of keeping his eye on a ball that popped loose when he flattened Bocanegra though. Michael Bradley looked OK. I like the kid and think we should give him a serious look over the summer. The U.S. set up with two defensive types in the middle of the park and so couldn't put much together going forward, but for us I think he'd be a perfect replacement for Carsley. If I'm not mistaken he's also got goals in the his last 5 for Heerenveen.

Not entirely sure Baines is completely comfortable up on the wing, but don't really see many options and think he could probably become halfway decent there, we know he can hit a ball and I'm sure he'll poke in a few crosses.

---------------Howard------------------

----Nev----Jags----Joey-----Lescott--

---Arteta--Osman--Manny--Baines--

\\

Then either

-----------------Cahill----------------- (if he's ok from the flight)

--------------Johnson-----------------

or

--------Yak---------Johnson----------

I would like to see Yak right back in the 11, but expect at the least he'll come on around 65. I would prefer to see Yak and AJ start with Cahill coming on if needed for the last 20. We really need goals and a solid victory would be the right way to head into Europe.

3-0, two to Yak one to Osman

Edited by chicagoblue

I think Baines at LM should definitely be considered as Ossie has looked unable to really play a full 90 since coming back; he needs a rest, or at least a sub appearance or two IMO. Also, does anyone remember how Vaughan and AJ played together last season? If we can get that partnership to rival Cahill and Yak's then we'll be flying!

The line up I hope to see:

............................HOWARD..........................

NEVILLE.....JAGIELKA.........YOBO.......LESCOTT

ARTETA.....CARSLEY...........FERNANDES.... BAINES

.................JOHNSON..........VAUGHAN.................

Then the bench could be:

Wessels

Hibbert (dunno if he is fit) OR Valente

Ossie

Yak

Anichebe

Edited by Calico

Osman has had a broken toe and played with painkillers, has had a nice weeks rest so he should be ok, maybe the reason he is not playing well is because he is NOT a winger, tho i would rather have him there than Baines

Baines is a good fullback and plays well when he is selected, but he is NOT a midfielder.

Lescott is an awesome Centre half and good elsewhere, but he is NOT a fullback.

Why you insist playing people out of position beats me, Yobo and Yakubo should go on the bench, the team has won 2 drawn 2 and kept 3 clean sheets without them.