IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I treated myself to a nice new fridge freezer. (The old one finally expired in a noisy fashion)

It arrived today. A lovely bit of kit .........

BUT it was too big to get through the fecking door. The delivery guys had to take it away again and I had to get a refund :(

Still I ordered another nice looking one. A bit cheaper and it will get through the door.

I treated myself to a nice new fridge freezer. (The old one finally expired in a noisy fashion)

It arrived today. A lovely bit of kit .........

BUT it was too big to get through the fecking door. The delivery guys had to take it away again and I had to get a refund :(

Still I ordered another nice looking one. A bit cheaper and it will get through the door.

I moved it here to boost the numbers :P.

I've not, I will not vote for evil, no matter how lesser it is.

This is a good read imo (I'm a bit of an old fashioned "leftie" so I would say that), though it tends to back up your position more than mine, and it's a few months old. Not really talking about the UKIP part of it, more the evaluation of the other main parties at the beginning.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/ukipper-say-funniest-things.html

I just don't agree that all politicians and political parties are "evil" even though they are mostly pretty unpleasant and difficult to differentiate between; but I don't think you could include (for example) the Greens in that. It's the only party my wife will vote for. You could say, "they haven't a hope of getting in" but if everyone who felt disenfranchised by the main parties voted for them they'd win shitloads of seats. Just a thought :).

Incidentally I'd never heard the Mark Twain quote before, "never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Should be added to the TT guidelines :lol:.

Doing nothing is worse than supporting evil? Sorry, don't buy that. Doing nothing is the only option at the moment.

Great quote from Twain. Would be worn out in minutes here though

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that there are alternative options. My initial answer ("Because they are the lesser evil") was actually a pretty stupid one that I posted without much thought.

We are growing as a society and realising that that if the non-vote is for the right reasons it can have as much as an impact as a vote.

Imagine the polling stations being boycotted as no one wanted to vote for any of the available party's?

A TV show will get shelved if the numbers fall.

A Business will go bankrupt if there are no sales.

Football teams cannot operate without gate receipts.

We no longer live in the age of " no vote, no say ".

Edit:

in my head that sounded almost poetic! .. reading it back it's a pile of tosh haha!

Edited by Shukes

We are growing as a society and realising that that if the non-vote is for the right reasons it can have as much as an impact as a vote.

Imagine the polling stations being boycotted as no one wanted to vote for any of the available party's?

A TV show will get shelved if the numbers fall.

A Business will go bankrupt if there are no sales.

Football teams cannot operate without gate receipts.

We no longer live in the age of " no vote, no say ".

Edit:

in my head that sounded almost poetic! .. reading it back it's a pile of tosh haha!

Disagree completely. There are enough people with a vested interest in the status quo that no significant number will ever join such a boycott, so all you'd achieve by "mass" non-voting would be to further strengthen the established political classes; it'd make things worse. The parties would increasingly look after their core vote and ignore the needs of the boycotters because there'd be no gain for them in doing so.

Only one election since the war has had less than a 60% turn-out and that's not going to change, it'll be higher than that next year without a doubt (largely due to people who've never voted before voting UKIP).

If you guaranteed whatever bollocks Simon Cowell is currently peddling on a Saturday night 60% of the nation watching ITV would sign him to a twenty year extension.

Football team analogy is a bad one; just been shown again from the recent survey that clubs are a million miles from their working class origins. They look after and cater to the rich fans at the expense of the poor. Same as the government does to its citizens.

I do see your point MikeO but I also believe that in the right way people can make a difference. I wouldn't want to see a society that wouldn't vote and I agree that one low vote wouldn't change anything.

But just as a seat for UKIP has changed people's perception I also believe that a gaping hole in the voice of the country may encourage fresh thinkers to come forward and fill that gap.

Again I am in the opinion that it would be a good thing, just that I don't think it's so cut and dry anymore.

I would like to see a change, be it a new party or a bold move by the established.

I do see your point MikeO but I also believe that in the right way people can make a difference. I wouldn't want to see a society that wouldn't vote and I agree that one low vote wouldn't change anything.

But just as a seat for UKIP has changed people's perception I also believe that a gaping hole in the voice of the country may encourage fresh thinkers to come forward and fill that gap.

Again I am in the opinion that it would be a good thing, just that I don't think it's so cut and dry anymore.

I would like to see a change, be it a new party or a bold move by the established.

Fair points; problem is that the "fresh-thinker" role is currently being filled by UKIP, and I'd rather struggle on with the imperfect clones we have than let those muppets anywhere near the reins of power. I'd probably emigrate to Poland or join a band of Bulgarian gypsies if that happened.

Grew my first Scotch bonnets today. Only a yeild of two, but perfectly ripe and realised very late that I'd missed a few steps but managed to still grow some, so im hoping for more next time.

Shit scared of eating one though aha, so im gonna make me some sauces!

Not done it for a few years but used to love growing chillies, and it's not easy to bring them through properly and get a decent "harvest" so you did good there J.

Today I attended a party given in honour of a beautiful young lady that we know. There were several other guests present and a good time was being had by all. As a special gift, we gave the young lady a new dress. She was so excited that, in front of everyone, she immediately stripped off all her clothes and begged to be able to wear the new dress.

Happy birthday to Maddy, my little granddaughter, who turned 3 today. Just don't do that in 20 years' time!

Had my colonoscopy yesterday, results were clear which was a big relief. Beforehand they told me they would give me a sedative and painkiller and that I would feel groggy for a while after. So I had to have someone there to get me home. I never felt groggy at any stage, and the procedure was quite painful, so the painkillers and sedation didn't seem to work. Maybe I was the one who got the placebo!

They did find I had diverticulitis which didn't surprise me as my Father had it. The main problem was I had to fast from Sunday lunchtime to Monday evening and still can't have a 'proper drink' until this afternoon. Still, it was all worth it for peace of mind..

Had my colonoscopy yesterday, results were clear which was a big relief. Beforehand they told me they would give me a sedative and painkiller and that I would feel groggy for a while after. So I had to have someone there to get me home. I never felt groggy at any stage, and the procedure was quite painful, so the painkillers and sedation didn't seem to work. Maybe I was the one who got the placebo!

They did find I had diverticulitis which didn't surprise me as my Father had it. The main problem was I had to fast from Sunday lunchtime to Monday evening and still can't have a 'proper drink' until this afternoon. Still, it was all worth it for peace of mind..

Good to hear!

Bowel cancer is a very treatable cancer "if" caught early. The "IF" usually boils down to the individual taking prompt action upon seeing any of the early signs - passing blood, any toilet irregularities etc, lumps, loss of weight etc.

My family has a history and I have had a check up before now - the anticipation is far worse than the reality. Health care professionals treat you with the upmost respect and dignity, It really is worth going for peace of mind.

If anyone ever has the slightest doubt go and get checked out. Do not accept irritable bowel as a "diagnosis" if you don't feel that is what it is - that cost Bobby Moore his life.

Pleased you got the right result John! Sorry the drugs didn't work too well.

Good to hear!

Bowel cancer is a very treatable cancer "if" caught early. The "IF" usually boils down to the individual taking prompt action upon seeing any of the early signs - passing blood, any toilet irregularities etc, lumps, loss of weight etc.

My family has a history and I have had a check up before now - the anticipation is far worse than the reality. Health care professionals treat you with the upmost respect and dignity, It really is worth going for peace of mind.

If anyone ever has the slightest doubt go and get checked out. Do not accept irritable bowel as a "diagnosis" if you don't feel that is what it is - that cost Bobby Moore his life.

Echo (most of) that; my brother had bowel cancer a few years back so I got checked as a precaution. The colonoscopy they couldn't complete because apparently, though I remember very little of it, I didn't "tolerate" it well despite them topping up the sedative; I was quite distressed apparently. So I then had to have a barium enema which was deeply unpleasant, certainly the professionals treated me with great dignity but it was hard to retain it myself :(. Results were clear though, and my brother's fully recovered; he just needed surgery so no chemo/radiotherapy.

Heard lots of stories over the past year of people being fobbed off by their GPs for all sorts of cancer. The relatively low survival rate for what I had is mostly caused by symptoms not being recognised early enough, but when I first saw my GP I was short of the Dept of Health guidelines for a fast track referral (even though I turned out to be late stage), luckily I have a good GP and he ignored the guidelines and referred me anyway.

So maybe I'm being harsh on GPs, maybe they're just hamstrung by guidelines; but the point is, if you're not happy with a diagnosis keep going back or get a second opinion.