IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

Plainly not the only or primary reason if you read the whole story though, as the video title suggests it is. It was just one of the ways his families life could be improved.

Fair enough. He can't have been fearing for his life so much seeing as he's gone back there to bury his family.

Well, we've relented and said we'll take 4000 now so there's a few who'll get their improved lives. What I don't get is that these 4000 have been guaranteed housing as soon as they arrive but all we hear about is a huge waiting list for housing for people already here and that we need to build more houses desperately. How is that even possible?

Fair enough. He can't have been fearing for his life so much seeing as he's gone back there to bury his family.

Well, we've relented and said we'll take 4000 now so there's a few who'll get their improved lives. What I don't get is that these 4000 have been guaranteed housing as soon as they arrive but all we hear about is a huge waiting list for housing for people already here and that we need to build more houses desperately. How is that even possible?

He may not be the ideal poster boy for more tolerance given the teeth thing because obviously people will latch on to that. As to fearing for his life? He may not have been, but there are many other reasons for wanting to improve your families future. If I was living in a war zone and then left that to live illegally outside a refugee camp with my wife and kids I'd probably be quite keen to move somewhere a bit nicer, irrespective of the legality of it, rather than accept that as my place in the World.

The second bit you need to ask David Cameron about. Shitloads of houses being built down here but sadly most of the locals can't afford them and all the council housing has been sold off. It stinks.

He may not be the ideal poster boy for more tolerance given the teeth thing because obviously people will latch on to that. As to fearing for his life? He may not have been, but there are many other reasons for wanting to improve your families future. If I was living in a war zone and then left that to live illegally outside a refugee camp with my wife and kids I'd probably be quite keen to move somewhere a bit nicer, irrespective of the legality of it, rather than accept that as my place in the World.

The second bit you need to ask David Cameron about. Shitloads of houses being built down here but sadly most of the locals can't afford them and all the council housing has been sold off. It stinks.

They say you shouldn't talk politics because it causes problems and we're going to be polar opposites on this, so it's probably best to leave it there!

Was talking to my brother the other day (Father Michael) he is 13 months older than me. We were reminiscing about school days and particularly about playing football. I started at St Matthews in Richard Kelly Drive in 1947. At 'play-time' there was always a 40 a side game going on and I quickly learned that there were only two questions to ask. 1. Which way are Everton kicking and 2. What's the score. It was amazing how equal the two sides were, Everton and Liverpool supporters seemed exactly split down the middle. One goal was on the school wall and the other was at the end of the playground on the brick air-raid shelter. The ball was an old tennis ball and you were lucky if you got more than a couple of kicks during the quarter hour or so. The winners had bragging rights until the next time. This continued every morning and afternoon, 5 days a week, winter and summer. I hope it still goes on at schools in Liverpool, the only difference being that the lads will now wear flash trainers and have a proper football. Golden memories though.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Connery was the best 'film' Bond, but in the context of reading the books and forming an 'image' of Bond, I thought Roger Moore was closest.

Never read any of the books, Roger Moore was dreadful imo; in fact he is/was just a dreadful actor. His range extended to playing himself; if a plank of wood could raise an eyebrow I'd cast it ahead of him.

Went here yesterday and climbed to the top, never heard of it before but incredible, get really sand-blasted!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317656/The-marauding-mountain-sand-swallowing-roads-houses-forest-west-coast-France.html

And this afternoon we're off here, be interesting I reckon.

http://www.uboat-bases.com/en/Bordeaux/photo-gallery.html

Scene of the "Cockleshell Heroes" raid in WW2, made into a film in 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frankton

Thus endeth geography and history lessons for today, but there'll be a test next week :P.

Went here yesterday and climbed to the top, never heard of it before but incredible, get really sand-blasted!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317656/The-marauding-mountain-sand-swallowing-roads-houses-forest-west-coast-France.html

And this afternoon we're off here, be interesting I reckon.

http://www.uboat-bases.com/en/Bordeaux/photo-gallery.html

Scene of the "Cockleshell Heroes" raid in WW2, made into a film in 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frankton

Thus endeth geography and history lessons for today, but there'll be a test next week :P.

The Uboat base reminds me of the Linnahall in Tallinn, we stumbled upon on our travels. Completely derelict. It's HUGE and there's now nothing there. Just a concrete structure with no real purpose.

pilt_208.jpg

"The 22nd Summer Olympic Games were hosted in Moscow in 1980. As inland Moscow had no suitable venue at which to stage the sailing event this task fell to Tallinn, the capital of thenEstonian SSR.[1] Apart from the main venue for the sailing event, Pirita Yachting Centre, a lot of other sports and entertainment facilities were built during preparations for the Olympics."

Really odd place to stumble upon.