IGNORED

Michael Owen

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. We have covered this numerous times, he would be a backward signing...we need to move forward.

With such a small squad I don't think we can take these kind of gambles with someone who could be in the treatment room for half the season (we already have Saha). Certainly not on the kind of salary he would be demanding even if he does take a massive pay cut.

Not gonna happen IMO!

Very doubtful after this season. I'm not sure if he's shite because he's well past it or if he's shite because he's at Newcastle. Could be either in all fairness. 6 months ago I would have been more keen, now, not so much.

Agree 100%

Used to think he would be useful and that he would like a return to Merseyside.

Now if he signed for us I would be buying shares in medical supplies.

He was good once. Now he is just overpaid, over priced and over his best years.

Jury is still out on this one lads, on the one hand I cannot get over the amount of injuries he has had over the years, the lack of goals since going back to England (tho' that could be a product of him playing in a bad team) and the huge wage he demands. But I also see positives, I see him coming on for when the strategy needs to be changed, as many have already said, he does not fit into our regular formation, maybe DM see's him as a player that can come in when the formation needs to be changed to give him more options, ergo, he would not be playing in every game so perhaps wouldn't get injured as much :questionmark: , he wouldn't really cost us anything if we could get him to take a massive paycut, which he has stated that he is willing to do. Hugely experienced for those European nights that we are going to be having from now on. He would be moving closer to his home, to his business(es) and playing for his boyhood heroes aswell as following in his dads footsteps. What is that saying?, 'A happy player is a productive player'.

Its only my humble opinion but i believe we have better strikers suited to our style of play! Would rather take Martins! Cue us signing Owen and him being top prem league scorer next season!

I like Martins, but he's an on and off player, but id rather we got him than owen tbh

Everyone knows the only thing that matters to owen in football is England. At his age next years world cup maybe his last if he makes the squad, he will be trying his all to force his way back in the england team, now if were giving him lower wages (still prob be high i know) and its on a free transfer then sign him.

Everyone knows the only thing that matters to owen in football is England. At his age next years world cup maybe his last if he makes the squad, he will be trying his all to force his way back in the england team, now if were giving him lower wages (still prob be high i know) and its on a free transfer then sign him.

Agree with that. I hope that we get his this summer because I think he'll be great. With him fully focussed on gettign into Capello's 2010 XI he will be playing his heart out week in and week out for us. He has proved that he can score even at Newcastle with his poor fitness. In 68 games he's pulled up with 27 goals. That record is quite good and he could be hitting Yakubu's numbers if he came to Goodison.

All for him signing :)

Keep as first team:

Yakubu (whilst the numbers are low)

Micheal Owen

Jo (He won't stay but meh, he's here at the moment)

Good as backup:

Saha

Vaughan

Cahill (played there so added him to the list)

Sell:

Vic

Prospects:

Agard

Baxter

Jutkiewicz

Edited by dark

Theres no such thing as a free transfer these days. Owen will want at least £50,000 a week and a signing on fee of a couple of million, leave him to the likes of Wigan, Blackburn etc. We are in for a different market these days!!!!

Very good point. To be honest as a "free" transfer I think i'd prefer Govou from Lyon who is out of contract this summer.

Owen on £50,000 per week is £2.5m a year, if we could get 3 good seasons out of him you're signing a potential world class striker (if he can regain his form) for £7.5m. It's a gamble worth taking in my opinion. Look at someone like Nugent for example (sorry EW) - he cost pompy £4m and he's going to be on £20k a week, he'd cost you about the same over 3 seasons. Nugent will never be in the same league as michael owen - goals wise!

Guest efctaxi
Owen on £50,000 per week is £2.5m a year, if we could get 3 good seasons out of him you're signing a potential world class striker (if he can regain his form) for £7.5m. It's a gamble worth taking in my opinion. Look at someone like Nugent for example (sorry EW) - he cost pompy £4m and he's going to be on £20k a week, he'd cost you about the same over 3 seasons. Nugent will never be in the same league as michael owen - goals wise!

Put Owen in the same teams as Nugent and see how he does ;)

Guest efctaxi
At preston I'd imagine owen would have scored 50 goals a season in the championship! As for at Pompy more than nugents 2!

Prove it :lol:

According to Wikipedia David Nugent has scored 3 ;) Still a complete joke. I just know that EW is gonna' come and flame me now ;)

Rafael Benitez has insisted he will not offer Michael Owen a Robbie Fowler-style return to Liverpool even though the Newcastle forward is available on a free transfer this summer

Free Transfer? We must sign surely. I'd be pissed off if he isn't in an Everton shirt come September. He would be brilliant at this club. Owen would take a massive pay cut and bring bag goals, goals and more goals. He would take us to Champions League challengers. Serious challengers what Aston Villa should have been. C'mon Moyes B)