IGNORED

Victor Anichebe

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't do speed how is Baines running beyond his fullback, Coleman running diagonally past his opposition fullback, Beckford stretching the central defenders etc etc?

A lot of the running goes unnoticed because the midfield dither and don't pass the ball until it's to late.

11 posts in 2 1/2 years ? Grammar%20Police.gif

yep been on everyday in 2 1/2 years too, used to post on kipper but cos im an" out of towner" my opinions did'nt go down to well!!

Some morons on that site tbh

Ive decided to start posting again, seems like a friendly bunch here...

and enjoy reading posts here

yep been on everyday in 2 1/2 years too, used to post on kipper but cos im an" out of towner" my opinions did'nt go down to well!!

Some morons on that site tbh

Ive decided to start posting again, seems like a friendly bunch here...

and enjoy reading posts here

I think there are morons on every site mate. Some sites put up with it, being the main difference. Funnily enough, I've never posted on Kipper. The admins have never bothered to activate my account, despite several attempts. The problem with forums is that there are opinions that often differ with mine. Something obviously wrong with the general design of forums. smile.png

If we don't do speed how is Baines running beyond his fullback, Coleman running diagonally past his opposition fullback, Beckford stretching the central defenders etc etc?

If we do speed how is it that one of our major problems is that we play too slowly because we go sideways, backwards, sideways, sideways, backwards, forwards?

Baines and Coleman may go forward with speed but the rest of side are snails, so when they do there's rarely anything in the box so they have to pass backwards anyway.

You mention Beckford stretching central defenders; well, he's not on the pitch often enough for that to make a difference, and when he is he's up there on his own isolated. Saha is our main man and he's as much to blame for lack of speed of play because he drops so deep. Hibbert gets further forward than he does at times! Play Beckford and Saha together and that would be the perfect combo of strikers, IMO.

Completely off topic but there you go.

We do have a problem attacking with speed, it was all to obvious when we got Donovan on loan. Never has one player made such a difference to the way a team plays. Then Donovan leaves and were left playing a cm in Ossie out there and as proved last season Ossie is no winger but a very good cm when played there.

We do have a problem attacking with speed, it was all to obvious when we got Donovan on loan. Never has one player made such a difference to the way a team plays. Then Donovan leaves and were left playing a cm in Ossie out there and as proved last season Ossie is no winger but a very good cm when played there.

Thought Coleman took over from Donovan and Ossie was a class act in the centre of the field second half last season ..... huh.png

Coleman just puts his head down and runs. While he is out, he should go buy some Ryan Giggs videos and watch them constantly.

We obviously see a different person in that #23 shirt.... And the point was about speed, not silky skills!

Edited by Matt

Thought Coleman took over from Donovan and Ossie was a class act in the centre of the field second half last season ..... huh.png

yeah he said ossie was stuck out wide when donovan left cos coleman was at blackpool when donovan left..and ossie proved he isn't a winger that season but proved he is a class cm last season..that's why i read anyways

when was the last time we scored on the counter attack?

if anyone remembers villa at home last season (might have been the season before, losing track. young and agbonlahor), the goals they scored showed how dangerous counter attacking with pace can be.

Watching us counter-attack genuinely embarrasses me.

when was the last time we scored on the counter attack?

if anyone remembers villa at home last season (might have been the season before, losing track. young and agbonlahor), the goals they scored showed how dangerous counter attacking with pace can be.

Chelsea, last game of the season ?

Edited by Matt

Chelsea, last game of the season ?

hhhmmmm, yes it was a counter attack, but I think your response justifies the concern, as "who was with him?" - quite frankly he was the only player breaking, to counter attack you need to be able to advance quicker than the opponents retreat, you will never be an effective counter attacking team when only one player can outpace the opponents, this is text book and there were 3 players giving the options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxm1d8bMev8

Edited by Hafnia

hhhmmmm, yes it was a counter attack, but I think your response justifies the concern, as "who was with him?" - quite frankly he was the only player breaking, to counter attack you need to be able to advance quicker than the opponents retreat, you will never be an effective counter attacking team when only one player can outpace the opponents, this is text book and there were 3 players giving the options

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jxm1d8bMev8

in the last few mins in the game, im not surprised that there werent many people. That aside, i cant argue that we dont counter attack enough, though I think Baines and Coleman both have the pace to do the job, just thought id point out that we do it sometimes

cant expect your defenders to be pushing your counter attack.

you need pace upfront and in midfield to do it. if your defender is counter attacking he is, in theory, running past the midfield to get involved.

that united goal is completely text book, three very quick players, running apart from each other, splitting the defenders. gave the defenders no chance, it just put the pressure on the guy taking the shot, all the other work is made easy buy their pace and running off the ball.

cant expect your defenders to be pushing your counter attack.

you need pace upfront and in midfield to do it. if your defender is counter attacking he is, in theory, running past the midfield to get involved.

that united goal is completely text book, three very quick players, running apart from each other, splitting the defenders. gave the defenders no chance, it just put the pressure on the guy taking the shot, all the other work is made easy buy their pace and running off the ball.

i see where youre coming from but positions are irrelevent here in my opinion. The idea of a counterattack is get up the other end asap right? I dont care if the LB/RB have to run past the rest of the team, the quickest players should be leading and thats Coleman, Baines and Becks (if he is playing). Between them they can cause the oppositions defence the trouble you described.

the positions can not be irrelevant in a counter attack, your players position in the formation should also dictate their position on the pitch when a counter happens.

to look back at the counter attack on the vid above, its from a corner. our full backs man the posts from a corner, if they were to get on the counter they have the furthest to travel. your forwards, wingers are normally slightly further out, unless you have a mountain of a forward back defending, so they are closer to the break.

look at the best counters and you will see not many defenders, mostly forwards and wingers.

from your theory of the quickest players leading the counter, what if yobo plays, do you want him to come bombing from a centre back positon to run past his whole team? if it was possible with the players we have then it would happen more, but it doesnt. hence why we were more effective when donovan came over here, arsenal away in his debut, him and pienaar pushed the counter from the wings.

Edited by StevO

the positions can not be irrelevant in a counter attack, your players position in the formation should also dictate their position on the pitch when a counter happens.

to look back at the counter attack on the vid above, its from a corner. our full backs man the posts from a corner, if they were to get on the counter they have the furthest to travel. your forwards, wingers are normally slightly further out, unless you have a mountain of a forward back defending, so they are closer to the break.

look at the best counters and you will see not many defenders, mostly forwards and wingers.

from your theory of the quickest players leading the counter, what if yobo plays, do you want him to come bombing from a centre back positon to run past his whole team? if it was possible with the players we have then it would happen more, but it doesnt. hence why we were more effective when donovan came over here, arsenal away in his debut, him and pienaar pushed the counter from the wings.

Arsenal used to be very effective on the counter and attacking in general due to the freedom of the centre halfs to get more involved going forward. We have Distin do it now and again, but Moyes seems to tear his hair out when our centre halfs go past the centre circle. Playing counter football is risky and unless you're Arsenal not very pretty apart from the goals eg. Villa under MON. Agree we should try it more just to mix things up, but not change how the team plays to accommodate it. It's one dimensional and awful to watch, even worse than long ball football. With a midfield of Arteta, Fellaini and Cahill most teams will be wary of this dominant midfield and defend closer to goal so the only chance for a counter attack would be after conceding a corner.

Edited by pete0